Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that many people describing their thought processes surrounding why they are choosing the standard or long range battery mention how many times per week they feel it's necessary to charge their Teslas.

I've had some non-Tesla owners say to me things like, "you have to charge every night?" I assumed that it was lack of familiarity with the process (mentality comparing it to a trip to a gas station, perhaps).

I have always just plugged mine in when I'm home for the night. It's easy, takes only seconds and prepares me for any unexpected trips.

I'm curious why anybody would charge every other night, etc.

(No disrespect intended, BTW)

It's not just charging, it can also be thermal conditioning heating or cooling the pack cell balancing, many things that can happen while the car is plugged in. My car's are plugged in daily whether I need the range or not. Also I plug in while I'm in the wild any time I happen to be able to grab an opportunity charge.

Reactions: lukex4 and mal_tsla
I've noticed that many people describing their thought processes surrounding why they are choosing the standard or long range battery mention how many times per week they feel it's necessary to charge their Teslas.

I've had some non-Tesla owners say to me things like, "you have to charge every night?" I assumed that it was lack of familiarity with the process (mentality comparing it to a trip to a gas station, perhaps).

I have always just plugged mine in when I'm home for the night. It's easy, takes only seconds and prepares me for any unexpected trips.

It's not like charging a phone where you charge when its low. The computer is very sophisticated and manages the battery condition. Leaving it plugged in allows that to happen. I plug it in whenever it is parked if possible and allow the computer to do its work. I normally charge to about 2/3rds of the battery for around town driving. Having it plugged in allows you to adjust the charge should something come up. As an example, when I'm heading out on a trip in the morning, I set the charge to 95% the overnight. About 30 min before I leave, I push it to 100 from the phone. This lets me get max battery without having it bump up against the ceiling multiple times which we all know is bad for the battery. The moment it hits 100, I unplug and go. It also has the added advantage of having the computer go through the battery alignment which happens when it hits 100%.

Sometimes due to power costs, it can be to your advantage to wait to charge.

Say you get home at 5PM, and you are on a TOU that charges a premium until 10 PM, it is better to start the charge after 10. But this is normally programmable on most EVs. So you just plug in, and it will start the real charging at the prescribed time.

Plugging in without charging on some cars will keep the 12v battery and the Li pack conditioned correctly for longer service life.

Wow, when I read the title I assumed everyone would be like me. I plug in when I get to around 1/2 a batt. I don't plug in every day, but I have plugged in several days in a row. My demand for travel is pretty low and the range is quite a bit longer than I use in a week, I don't have a Tesla yet, this is on a Mitsubishi. When I do plug in, it is often for many times longer than needed to charge, so if the Tesla really needs to cycle the battery it should still have time.

Guess I need to learn more about Teslas

-Randy

many would view your opportunity charging as being anti-social, using a charger when you really don't need a charge could impact another EV driver who might be in need of a charge

Trolling again? He basically is saying whether he is at home or out and about he plugs in to charge. You could just say "using a charger when you don't need it takes a spot away from someone who does". Also Elon has addressed this by creating the $0.40 charge per minute your car is charging on a super charger past 100%. As far as chargers out in the world, that has nothing to do with Telsa and everything with people being inconsiderate and rude. Same with parking spaces or anything else.

many would view your opportunity charging as being anti-social, using a charger when you really don't need a charge could impact another EV driver who might be in need of a charge

Of course, that's why I included the phrase "when I happen to be able to" grab an opportunity charge. Most sites I use are listed on plug share "and I always check in when charging" also I leave my cell # visible so I can be reached via text etc. if someone needs to unplug my car or I need to move it for them to gain access. I'm also listed on plug share and welcome passers by in need the use of my home charger/s outlets etc. (mostly limited to Tesla drivers and more recently Bolt drivers as nothing else has the range to get out here)

I do what I can to be courteous, but I will use vacant chargers if they happen to be where I am going to be parked for awhile. And mostly I need a charge anyway as I live roughly 150 miles from the nearest city center "literally in the wild" lol! My nearest "actual EVSE" or public charger is 85 miles away and it is a Tesla destination charger at a Holiday Inn. They also have two J1772 units but all are for patrons only. My nearest supercharger is 155 miles away from where I live. Welcome to "flyover" country U.S.A.

Last edited:
The only reason I don't plug in nightly is because of thunderstorms and because my current EV is poorly built. I just charge about when I'll need it (usually about 50%). In addition, at least with the newer Leafs you can't set a max charge percentage. I'll get a lot of losses due to inefficiency and no regen braking if I charged nightly, along with enhanced degradation if I let it sit at 100% on offdays.

I'll probably follow suit on my Tesla due to thunderstorms, as well. Charge when I need or when the forecast has no chance of storms, at least for half of the year.

As mentioned above, second nature: plug in when you get home. Have charging programmed to start after night tariff kicks in and to stop at 80% or 90% or so (unless you have a roadtrip to do the next day). You won't even think about it anymore after a few weeks.

My battery readings are down 13%. Tesla service says it is due to my charging pattern and asked that I always charge to 90% and not charge again until it gets down fairly low. This is supposed to train the battery management system to give more accurate readings of capacity. So, I now charge to 90% and don't plug-in again until it gets to ~30% unless I plan a trip beyond the remaining range. If I am opportunity charging, and I have enough time, I might charge to 95% or so since I will be driving it down right away; can't do that at home since I need regen for steep hills — even 90% reduces regen by a lot. Charging above 93% is supposed to help balance the cells in the battery pack; I don't know if that is true.

You asked...

Depends on where one lives. I plug-in to L2 stations around here to show them being used, since the municipalities went to some trouble and expense to install them (most of the money comes from a state grant fund that, in turn, comes from a registration fee charged to plug-in car owners — so I paid for them). Since each installation has two plugs I'm not blocking another EV from using them. If the other one is in use I leave my phone number in case another car shows up. The town, population ~1000, nearest me just got a grant to install an L2 charge station, something I first lobbied for more than five years ago. Will I use it when it is installed? Of course — I want them to see it being used.

Life is different out in the boondocks.