Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you floor the pedal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. A new (to-be) Model 3 LR owner. I'm not a speed junkie but I'm wondering how does frequent flooring the pedal impact long term battery health? I understand that more frequently I push the more it'll impact my range...but I'm wondering how it impacts the long term battery health.
I'm sure I'll be tempted to test the instant torque for a few days once I get my car.

Jabbing the pedal here and there for a couple of seconds will likely have no long term affect. As @holmgang said, traffic doesn’t really allow for sustained flooring sessions. If you were to go all out at full speed often, that might have an affect, but no one really does that.

Also, goosing it here and there does not hit range much in my experience, especially if you use regen on your next stop which will gain some of the energy back. What I find has the most affect on range is using the brakes and high speed highway driving.

Have fun with acceleration and use regen. You’ll see that it doesn’t eat away too much of the range.

Hi. A new (to-be) Model 3 LR owner. I'm not a speed junkie but I'm wondering how does frequent flooring the pedal impact long term battery health? I understand that more frequently I push the more it'll impact my range...but I'm wondering how it impacts the long term battery health.
I'm sure I'll be tempted to test the instant torque for a few days once I get my car.
We floor the pedal on our Teslas any time traffic allows for it, going on 7 years now.

From my experience the impact of often accelerating hard is negligible compared to the other factors, many of which you can’t control.

It doesn't. At least not enough to worry about for normal people.

This could have possibly been a thing on the old 85 batteries but it's certainly not something now.

We dont know that yet... because model 3s have not been around long enough to see if they suffer from the same throttling the model S / X do from frequent supercharging.

I havent seen any reports of throttling of model 3s (but admittedly havent looked much because my usage in 1.5 years has included exactly 5 total supercharging sessions, and 3 of those were the first week I got my car, before I had the dedicated circuit put in my garage for the HPWC).

People guess this, but we dont know, so I dont think anyone can say "its not a thing" without a lot more time passing.

We dont know that yet... because model 3s have not been around long enough to see if they suffer from the same throttling the model S / X do from frequent supercharging.

I havent seen any reports of throttling of model 3s (but admittedly havent looked much because my usage in 1.5 years has included exactly 5 total supercharging sessions, and 3 of those were the first week I got my car, before I had the dedicated circuit put in my garage for the HPWC).

People guess this, but we dont know, so I dont think anyone can say "its not a thing" without a lot more time passing.

Interesting to get a "disagree" on this... I suppose that means there is some proof somewhere that I havent seen that model 3s will never be effected by supercharging throttling? I said "we dont know one way or another" so to disagree with that means we DO know...

So I would love to see some proof of the "we know definitely" mindset on this.

I guess those of us that like to track our Tesla will find out first. ;)

The Model 3 does have a solid BMS and software that works to protect the battery. Frequent full throttle applications, like on a race track, will overheat the battery. Once overheated, the car will reduce the power output to keep from damaging the battery. We'll only really know the long-term effects though over, well, the long term.

Batteries like two things. 1. charge me slowly 2. discharge me slowly. With that being said, have you tried using 110 to charge your car at about 3 mph? It's like a trickle charge. I've done it and if it were my choice, I'd never charge that way again. So I have my Tesla charger that adds 30 mph. That's plenty fast for normal charging. I plug it in about 2 or 3 times per week and bring it up to 90%. Now as to discharging slowly...In a Tesla? Are you serious? NOT!! LOL I've had my M3 with midrange batteries and 90% gives me about 220 miles. How often do I put the pedal to the medal? The first couple months I had it, frequently, just to feel the G's but now, not so much. I use the power to get into and ahead of oncoming traffic mostly or when I need to beat the other guy "out of the hole" to change lanes. The only time I really punch it anymore is when someone is riding with me to show them the power a Tesla has. Does it hurt the battery? I think I heard my battery say "ouch" once or twice but battery technology is changing so fast. Do we really know its life expectancy anymore? Nah. My wife had a 2008 Prius and we put 170,000 miles on it with not much change. And if you've ever driven a Prius, there are really times you need to floor it to get into traffic since it doesn't have many horses under the hood. So I'm not concerned about flooring my M3 from time to time and hurting the battery.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
thanks all for good insights. I have done a test drive but didn't try this out- how is the acceleration from say 40 to 60 to 50 to 70. For instances when you need to pass someone. is it like other ICE cars or much faster?

thanks all for good insights. I have done a test drive but didn't try this out- how is the acceleration from say 40 to 60 to 50 to 70. For instances when you need to pass someone. is it like other ICE cars or much faster?

Much faster. It's instant torque *at any speed*... no waiting for a downshift, no waiting for the engine to rev up. Just power at the pedal, whenever you need it.

Fantastic for merging into traffic on Route 17!

Unless you're at a very low SOC or up against something insanely quick (in the right gear) - much faster. I've had no trouble wrecking any car all the way up to ~110 MPH, from a dig or from a roll, at which point you declare victory & call it quits... even down to ~30% SOC.

There's a video somewhere on YT of a guy comparing a side-by-side 0-100 MPH run (or something) @ 10% SOC vs. 100% SOC. For all practical purposes... the difference wasn't worth sweating over IMO.