Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you floor the pedal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jabbing the pedal here and there for a couple of seconds will likely have no long term affect. As @holmgang said, traffic doesn’t really allow for sustained flooring sessions. If you were to go all out at full speed often, that might have an affect, but no one really does that.

Also, goosing it here and there does not hit range much in my experience, especially if you use regen on your next stop which will gain some of the energy back. What I find has the most affect on range is using the brakes and high speed highway driving.

Have fun with acceleration and use regen. You’ll see that it doesn’t eat away too much of the range.

A lot of that depends where you live. I have a commute that's about 30 miles and I might see 10 cars between here and there and might pass one somedays. There's a 7 mile stretch where it's 2 lane blacktop, smooth and nobody ever on. Now granted at the end it turns onto a twisty road by the lake that I enjoy spirited driving on even more-so. But I do like the sustained acceleration. Even if at the end at the stop sign I need to put the car in park real quick to let the autosteer function come back lol.

I've had the car a few weeks now (LR AWD w/boost) and I floor it literally every chance I get...not only from a stop, but I find myself frequently jamming it at all different speeds, just to feel that rush of instant torque.

I can only speak for my car, but it becomes a little muted flooring it past 60mph - the pull is respectable, but nothing like flooring it between 10 and 30. I would love to have a little more muscle from 0-30ish, which is why my next one will be a P. :D

Honestly, I'm much more concerned about harming the motors and internal components than I am about reducing the battery life. The launches are pretty violent, even whilst going up to 30mph, and I always have that paranoia in my head about what all the hard launches are doing to the motors and components...my warranty is good for another 2 years (battery warranty another 6yrs), so I guess I'll take my chances for now, because I can NOT stop myself from flooring the damn thing ever chance I get. :cool:

Well said.

I'm more concerned about suspension components than the motors or the battery. Motors are designed to last a LONG time, but we will need to replace all suspension components much sooner. Oh, and the tires as well.

Reactions: Siciliano
Hi. A new (to-be) Model 3 LR owner. I'm not a speed junkie but I'm wondering how does frequent flooring the pedal impact long term battery health? I understand that more frequently I push the more it'll impact my range...but I'm wondering how it impacts the long term battery health.
I'm sure I'll be tempted to test the instant torque for a few days once I get my car.
As other have said, you're probably not going to floor it very often due to traffic or the roads you drive so it's unlikely you'll do damage by overheating the motors. Initially when I got my M3, I found any place and reason to floor it 0-60 and feel the g-forces...well, I still do because that thrill never seems to wear off, but I also find that I'm driving more conservatively now. The place where I use rapid acceleration the most is driving on the freeway and needing to zip around a slow car or move out of the way of someone who doesn't understand merging and is driving in my blindspot. Since you're "not a speed junkie", you likely have little to worry about.

Hey guys new here, just bought a 2021 TM3LR, the car is a beast, best car ever, love it! I have a question about cold weather and first getting in a cold M3LR, is it bad for the battery, any negative effects on the battery, battery degradation if I accelerate hard when I first get in the car and it is freezing out.

Hey guys new here, just bought a 2021 TM3LR, the car is a beast, best car ever, love it! I have a question about cold weather and first getting in a cold M3LR, is it bad for the battery, any negative effects on the battery, battery degradation if I accelerate hard when I first get in the car and it is freezing out.
Hell no, I floor that thing out of my driveway. By far it's the best car to beat on. I have less than 3 percent degradation after 17,000 miles, charge it to 90+% every day, stand on it every chance I get.

Even when it is below freezing, no battery degredation?
Absolutely. The BMS in the car is extremely smart, it's not going to dump the battery in an unsafe way. I always precondition the car as well, whether it's scheduled on on-the-spot, more for the climate control than the battery. It has an 8 year/120,000 mile warranty, I'll llet Tesla worry about battery issues.

Even when it is below freezing, no battery degredation?
The car reduces available power when the battery is cold, I presume to protect the battery. You'd be surprised how slow your Tesla can become in real cold weather. I've had one morning at -20C, car left outside with no preconditioning before leaving, where maximum output power was under 100kW... You can floor it and you'll get a bit over 100hp :)

• Funny
Reactions: FatM3
The car reduces available power when the battery is cold, I presume to protect the battery. You'd be surprised how slow your Tesla can become in real cold weather. I've had one morning at -20C, car left outside with no preconditioning before leaving, where maximum output power was under 100kW... You can floor it and you'll get a bit over 100hp :)
Yep when it is cold outside without battery conditioning car acts like it is set to chill mode. Sometimes feels like worse than chill mode until battery temperatures are optimal after about 15 mins of freeway driving.