Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you get ignored by Model S owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Around Marin County in NorCal, there are lots of Teslas. I do wave to all I can see and get about a 50% response. Granted Teslas are all over the place and we don't always see each other. Roadsters are still rare here, but I will always wave to them. Although, I have to make sure they are not a Lotus Elise, that would be even more rare.

I think my wife saw you a couple of days ago, on I-5 or Via de la Valle. She hasn't seen another roadster for ages, so she actually mentioned the sighting of a light blue roadster to me. You wouldn't have noticed her though, she was in the barn car, an old white Subaru. If it was you, that is.

It was probably me! I was over there recently scouting around a little. The other 2 roadsters I've seen in SD County were Green and Orange. So there's a good chance it was me. Doing my best to represent where possible! :cool:

Okay, as far as being ignored, here is something I noticed: A couple of times now I've ventured from home near Toronto, Canada out to northern Illinois. I thought the combination of out-of-state plates and an electric car might draw some attention, but nope. Not a single comment or even casual glance as far as I could tell all through Michigan, Indiana and Illinois. I did see a couple of other Teslas and got nods or lights flashed, but nothing from the general public while parked or underway. We parked at malls, tourist destinations and the like and no one even seemed to take any notice of the car at all. Earlier this week, on my way home, I crossed back into Canada at Detroit/Windsor and stopped at a Supercharger just a few miles from there. At this stop, back in my home province, I had an older couple walk over to me and a couple of young guys in pickup trucks pull up and talked at length (positively) about Tesla. Now, in general, I am getting far less attention (at home) than I did 2 1/2 years ago, but I think that's just because the car and the brand is better known now.

My Model S can be ignored for a couple of weeks, and then I'll get 2 or 3 bouts of Tesla Time the same day. Very random.

Roadster gets 10X more attention. Some people just don't care about cars... but if they have any interest they're all over it.

I think only the "early adopter" Model S owners pay attention to the Roadster. (We've already noted that many new owners aren't aware of its existence.)