TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How often do you have to reboot the display?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by George Jetson, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Tessy Flyer

Tessy Flyer Member

Car is back home and in perfect condition. Initially service tried to reload from ground up (aka hard boot ?). Didn't work as the software load kept stopping. Then changed some of the coding and still didn't work. Tesla California was able to run remote diagnostics (car is in Florida), and determined the Instrument Cluster was bad. So they ordered one and replaced, reloaded everything with no problems. Picked up today and everything worked great. The IC displays everything properly and the NAV works now for the first time since new (January 17). Only had it back one day, but no screen blank outs so far.

2. Marito

Marito Member

Hi guys, quick question: Just in case it ever happens to me or I need to hard-reboot. How do you do that? (I've had my X for less than a week :))
    Thanks!
    M

3. Tampert

Tampert Member

2 times per month. Mostly when Spotify gives a load error.

4. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Hold both scroll wheels down on the steering wheel to reboot the centre console.
    To reboot the dash, do the same for the two buttons above the scroll wheels.
    In each case, gotta hold for 5 or 10 seconds until the screen goes black.
    Also, I wouldn't do while driving, it can turn off headlights etc.

5. KArnold

KArnold Member

So these two are different - one for dash, one for center console? And I assume it is further different to do a power down via the screen? And how long do they take?

I'm wondering if a proactive reboot at a convenient time might be in order? Seems necessary for Microsoft-based OS' anyway. Or maybe one of these phone apps could actually schedule such a thing? But I doubt they expose that API.

6. ShockOnT

ShockOnT ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Yes they are different. Reboot takes maybe 20-30 seconds only.
    Most drivers never need to reboot and wouldn't even know how. I wouldn't bother.
    The power down via the screen is actually more like a Sleep than a Reboot.

7. Matias

Matias Active Member

I'm on 17.14.23 and I need to reboot the main screen about couple of times a week.

I do it while driving, sometimes even on AP.

8. Marito

Marito Member

Thanks!
    M

9. wayner

wayner Active Member

I have noticed that when rebooting your screen you don't hear the tick-tick of the turn signal. Does this mean that it is some sort of computer audio file, like a .wav or .mp3 playing through the car's A/V system rather than a mechanical sound?

10. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

Yep.

11. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Active Member

I have to reboot daily. And sometimes a coupe times a day. I think it has to do with what you're saying. I live in the country and while my signal is pretty good, it always flakes out around the same place on my way to work and then never really recovers without a reboot. I get load errors, load errors after 20 seconds, hanging voice command screen, sometimes "not found" when putting something simple into the Nav search, etc.

12. Algbc

Algbc Member

Some podcast works for me but some says loading Error. Do you think a reboot will
    Help?

13. Algbc

Algbc Member

I tried that... and it does not work. I'm assuming it's the station's error or it might be slackers issue.

14. idealsol

idealsol Member

15. f-stop

f-stop Active Member

I have had a very similar experience (70D, AP1), except I'd been using a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Fit for more than a year without trouble. Started getting frequent "touchscreen unresponsive" warning on dash, requiring reboot.. at random times - sometimes a few times per week, other times more than once a day. Not certain, but I'm thinking it happens only when the car was off long enough to go to sleep. probably started happening after 8.0(17.6.15) update back in Feb, or maybe 8.1(17.14.23) in April. SC said it could be USB drive causing it.

Removed the USB drive for a couple weeks and couldn't reproduce the problem. Reformatted the 64GB Ultra Fit and reloaded a fresh copy of my music on it. Saw the problem again (once) within about a week. Tried a different much smaller 2GB USB flash drive, and again saw the problem within a week, so the problems not confined to the Ultra Fit nor necessarily a large size USB.

Today I got the 8.1 (17.24.28) update, not sure yet if any difference in this touchscreen/reboot behaviour. If I have time I may try some other different USB sticks, but I'm still convinced it's somehow related to one of the recent software updates... note that long before this problem cropped up, I was getting frequent random USB rescans/reloads by the media player, which many other forum members have also reported previously. So the media player's handling of the USB doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Hoping that the long-ago promised new kernel update will bring along more robust USB handling and cure for this problem...

16. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Any more it's very seldom, once every few months. Two years ago it was at least once a month.

17. Devon

Devon Member

About once a week. I loose the 3G from being parked in the garage and have to reboot.

18. rickgt

rickgt Enthusiast owner/member

at least twice a month... usually because the audio system gets flakey. load errors and other things playing music.

19. zdre

zdre 40kWh Model S, Model 3LR

Reboot always fixes it for me.

20. ny3ranger

ny3ranger Member

Has anyone needed to know when you should reboot the display above the steering wheel? It’s done with holding the 2 buttons above the scroll wheel. But I do the center first. Not sure what they other reboot will refresh.