Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you have to reboot the display?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WOW - most of you are very lucky. I have to reboot every two to three days. Normally the Drive screen will just be blanked out when I get in the car., and sometimes the display is there, but it is locked up.

I try to get as much information as I can to help them troubleshoot before I schedule so it can be fixed the first time.

Car is back home and in perfect condition. Initially service tried to reload from ground up (aka hard boot ?). Didn't work as the software load kept stopping. Then changed some of the coding and still didn't work. Tesla California was able to run remote diagnostics (car is in Florida), and determined the Instrument Cluster was bad. So they ordered one and replaced, reloaded everything with no problems. Picked up today and everything worked great. The IC displays everything properly and the NAV works now for the first time since new (January 17). Only had it back one day, but no screen blank outs so far.

Hi guys, quick question: Just in case it ever happens to me or I need to hard-reboot. How do you do that? (I've had my X for less than a week :))
Thanks!
M
Hold both scroll wheels down on the steering wheel to reboot the centre console.
To reboot the dash, do the same for the two buttons above the scroll wheels.
In each case, gotta hold for 5 or 10 seconds until the screen goes black.
Also, I wouldn't do while driving, it can turn off headlights etc.

Hold both scroll wheels down on the steering wheel to reboot the centre console.
To reboot the dash, do the same for the two buttons above the scroll wheels.
In each case, gotta hold for 5 or 10 seconds until the screen goes black.

So these two are different - one for dash, one for center console? And I assume it is further different to do a power down via the screen? And how long do they take?

I'm wondering if a proactive reboot at a convenient time might be in order? Seems necessary for Microsoft-based OS' anyway. Or maybe one of these phone apps could actually schedule such a thing? But I doubt they expose that API.

So these two are different - one for dash, one for center console? And I assume it is further different to do a power down via the screen? And how long do they take?

I'm wondering if a proactive reboot at a convenient time might be in order? Seems necessary for Microsoft-based OS' anyway. Or maybe one of these phone apps could actually schedule such a thing? But I doubt they expose that API.
Yes they are different. Reboot takes maybe 20-30 seconds only.
Most drivers never need to reboot and wouldn't even know how. I wouldn't bother.
The power down via the screen is actually more like a Sleep than a Reboot.

I have noticed that when rebooting your screen you don't hear the tick-tick of the turn signal. Does this mean that it is some sort of computer audio file, like a .wav or .mp3 playing through the car's A/V system rather than a mechanical sound?

After reading the experiences here, it seems my reboot frequency is not the norm. I hope its just network access thing. The cell signal is notoriously bad where I work (near an International airport) and where I live (downtown), so I'm wondering if it could be a handshake kind of thing when powering on the car. The same issue with cell reception sometimes plagues me when trying to remotely access the car with the app.
I have to reboot daily. And sometimes a coupe times a day. I think it has to do with what you're saying. I live in the country and while my signal is pretty good, it always flakes out around the same place on my way to work and then never really recovers without a reboot. I get load errors, load errors after 20 seconds, hanging voice command screen, sometimes "not found" when putting something simple into the Nav search, etc.

So in first 6 months I've had the car, maybe 3 reboots
Then after 17.17.4 much more frequent reboots
Once or twice a week
SC suggested it was my USB drive
I told them I thought the new firmware seemed likely
But I still pulled the USB drive, and now for 2+ weeks, no reboots
May reformat the drive and try again
I was using this: Amazon.com: SanDisk Ultra Fit 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ43-128G-G46): Computers & Accessories
Still on 17.17.4 / AP2
I have had a very similar experience (70D, AP1), except I'd been using a 64GB Sandisk Ultra Fit for more than a year without trouble. Started getting frequent "touchscreen unresponsive" warning on dash, requiring reboot.. at random times - sometimes a few times per week, other times more than once a day. Not certain, but I'm thinking it happens only when the car was off long enough to go to sleep. probably started happening after 8.0(17.6.15) update back in Feb, or maybe 8.1(17.14.23) in April. SC said it could be USB drive causing it.

Removed the USB drive for a couple weeks and couldn't reproduce the problem. Reformatted the 64GB Ultra Fit and reloaded a fresh copy of my music on it. Saw the problem again (once) within about a week. Tried a different much smaller 2GB USB flash drive, and again saw the problem within a week, so the problems not confined to the Ultra Fit nor necessarily a large size USB.

Today I got the 8.1 (17.24.28) update, not sure yet if any difference in this touchscreen/reboot behaviour. If I have time I may try some other different USB sticks, but I'm still convinced it's somehow related to one of the recent software updates... note that long before this problem cropped up, I was getting frequent random USB rescans/reloads by the media player, which many other forum members have also reported previously. So the media player's handling of the USB doesn't give me a lot of confidence. Hoping that the long-ago promised new kernel update will bring along more robust USB handling and cure for this problem...

Has anyone needed to know when you should reboot the display above the steering wheel? It’s done with holding the 2 buttons above the scroll wheel. But I do the center first. Not sure what they other reboot will refresh.
I force reboot about once per month on average to resolve a problem of some type. I also have seen the the center screen reboot on its own once in a while. BTW, last week I was unable to communicate with my car using the Tesla mobile app for several hours. For some reason I didn't think a reboot was needed to correct this but I was wrong. I called Tesla to find out what was wrong and was instructed to reboot the center screen and that fixed the problem. Unfortunately I could not do that remotely where I was using the mobile app.