Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you have to reset by holding both scroll wheels?

InsaneDriver

Apr 4, 2015
Miami, FL
It seems like once a week my car loses its connectivity and I have to reset things so that i have my Slacker Radio and/or navigation. Sometimes several times a week. Is it just a poor signal or is the interface Microsoft esque?

CHG-ON

Still in love after all these miles
Jun 24, 2014
Santa Cruz Mountains, USA
I rarely have to do it. I don't think I've ever lost connectivity except when in no reception areas, of which there are a lot where I live. It comes right back when I get back in range.

trils0n

2013 P85
Feb 12, 2013
SF Bay Area
I think I've rebooted 3 times in nearly 3 years for random issues -- never for connectivity. (Not counting the 3x figuring out that plugging in my phone to the USB, as I always did before, crashes the touchscreen since v7.0)

S4WRXTTCS

May 3, 2015
Snohomish, WA
I rarely have to reboot the Instrument cluster screen, but at least once or twice a month I have to reboot the 17inch screen. It's mostly issues with the 3G connection not reconnecting.

The other thing that sometimes happens is the center screen will completely lock up, and with V7 even to the point of being blank. It seems to have "playing with others" issues. Like certain USB flash drives plugged into the USB drive will cause issues, and sometimes streaming from my iPhone will cause issues. So if you're having problems with glitches its best to disconnect anything you have connected, and not stream to it.

Last edited:

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Once in 7 months of ownership.

And that was because I was on the phone with Tesla service (don't remember why I rang). Before ringing off the technician said it would not hurt to reset once a month as a preventive measure.

andrewket

Dec 20, 2012
About once per month. I had to do it last night because Bluetooth died. I'm paraphrasing - Bluetooth malfunction. Contact tesla service. A quick reboot and all is well.

freeewilly

Jul 22, 2015
Brea, CA
Twice in 3 months. 1st time was the display of the backup camera look weird, the top quarter of the display got cut off, and show up at the bottom of the display. (check picture attached, not real picture from my car, I edit someone's pic)
2ed time was last night, whenever I use NAV direction, the traffic information disappeared, but when I canceled the NAV direction, the traffic information will show on Google map.
Rear_camera_large.jpg

Max*

Charging
Apr 8, 2015
NoVa
About once a month. Nothing major: Bluetooth died, random beeping from I guess a false seatbelt alarm, blinker wouldn't blink, 17" screen freezing, 17" screen freezing, music dying, etc.

AWDtsla

Mar 3, 2013
NE
I found a bug in the UI if you do too many things too quickly you can hang it... Should have taken a picture. Needed a reboot however.

CHG-ON

Still in love after all these miles
Jun 24, 2014
Santa Cruz Mountains, USA
I do reboot as a matter of course after a SW update. The SC suggested it. Otherwise, I only do it when something seems a little wonky. I have only had one annoying problem where my music would not load. Reboot fixed it. They told me to always pull the sticks before a reboot. Makes sense to me, actually. But I do have 256gb of music between 2 USB sticks, which I have decided is just plain too much. Takes FOREVER (like 30 min!) to load! Otherwise, it is for something like: I felt like the car was wandering too much in the lane under AP. Rebooted and all is well. Or the center screen seems a bit slow. That's about it.
Once every month or 2--and always after a firmware update.

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC