Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you have to reset by holding both scroll wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I've rebooted 3 times in nearly 3 years for random issues -- never for connectivity. (Not counting the 3x figuring out that plugging in my phone to the USB, as I always did before, crashes the touchscreen since v7.0)

I rarely have to reboot the Instrument cluster screen, but at least once or twice a month I have to reboot the 17inch screen. It's mostly issues with the 3G connection not reconnecting.

The other thing that sometimes happens is the center screen will completely lock up, and with V7 even to the point of being blank. It seems to have "playing with others" issues. Like certain USB flash drives plugged into the USB drive will cause issues, and sometimes streaming from my iPhone will cause issues. So if you're having problems with glitches its best to disconnect anything you have connected, and not stream to it.

Last edited:
Once in 7 months of ownership.

And that was because I was on the phone with Tesla service (don't remember why I rang). Before ringing off the technician said it would not hurt to reset once a month as a preventive measure.

Twice in 3 months. 1st time was the display of the backup camera look weird, the top quarter of the display got cut off, and show up at the bottom of the display. (check picture attached, not real picture from my car, I edit someone's pic)
2ed time was last night, whenever I use NAV direction, the traffic information disappeared, but when I canceled the NAV direction, the traffic information will show on Google map.
Rear_camera_large.jpg

I do reboot as a matter of course after a SW update. The SC suggested it. Otherwise, I only do it when something seems a little wonky. I have only had one annoying problem where my music would not load. Reboot fixed it. They told me to always pull the sticks before a reboot. Makes sense to me, actually. But I do have 256gb of music between 2 USB sticks, which I have decided is just plain too much. Takes FOREVER (like 30 min!) to load! Otherwise, it is for something like: I felt like the car was wandering too much in the lane under AP. Rebooted and all is well. Or the center screen seems a bit slow. That's about it.
Once every month or 2--and always after a firmware update.

Last edited: