Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you have to reset your HPWC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More than a year on a 2nd generation hpwc. Hundred amp circuit breaker amps across my dual Chargers. I live in the Seattle area so probably have you beat on moisture, and I've never had a reset. I'm with broker Don, carefully check the connections to your circuit breaker. There's a very good chance they are not tight or just badly made. Of course, your utility could have crap for power.

Last Thursday night, we had heavy wet snow followed by rain. I was out in the weather, making an airport run, during the snow. When I came home, I plugged in to my 2nd generation HPWC, as usual. In the morning when I unplugged, the light around the charge port was red. Never had seen that before. Charged the car at a nearby Supercharger to make sure it wasn't the car. Came back, and tried plugging in again, and everything looked normal, got a blue ring. Charged some at home, all OK.

Yesterday (Sunday), the ring lighted up red again. I unplugged and used the reset button on the Wall Connector. Light on WC turned green. I plugged in, and charged for a while in the afternoon. Weather was dry. Went out to dinner, came back, plugged in, got the red ring again. But after unplugging and resetting 3 or 4 times, it looked OK, and it charged successfully overnight.
Today it is raining very lightly. I got the light again, this time on the WC itself while the charging cable was not plugged into the car. Tried repeatedly to reset the WC, and it would not reset.

According to the trouble-shooting guide, this indicates a hardware failure. Several specific possible failures are listed, and the suggested solution is to "Call Tesla." I have placed a call to the home charging support line, but have not yet reached anyone. (Left a message.)
I think the fact that the red light is on without the car plugged in means the failure is not in the car. Too bad in a way, because the car is in warranty, the WC is not. Plus, it will be a headache to uninstall the WC if that is what Tesla tells me to do (assuming I ever reach someone). Even though these incidents seem related to moisture, I have to wonder why none of the specific codes related to moisture have been displayed.

The WC has never displayed anything except green until now, never needed a reset, in about 26 months of use.

I've had the red a couple of times and it reset when I threw the circuit breaker, waited a few seconds, then threw it back on. I tried using the reset button and it wouldn't reset. It's been over a year since it went red.

I've had the red a couple of times and it reset when I threw the circuit breaker, waited a few seconds, then threw it back on. I tried using the reset button and it wouldn't reset. It's been over a year since it went red.
I tripped the breaker, too.
Hope I can reach Tesla tomorrow. I wonder if they will send a technician for a unit out of warranty? Or will I have to ship it back to them? This will throw a monkey wrench into home charging for a while, for sure....

Since the time I made my original post, i’ve needed to reset it many times. It has probably been reset 10 times in the last two months. I’ve seen several utility company trucks in the area, so I’m hoping the problem is on their end.

I tripped the breaker, too.
Hope I can reach Tesla tomorrow. I wonder if they will send a technician for a unit out of warranty? Or will I have to ship it back to them? This will throw a monkey wrench into home charging for a while, for sure....

I have spoken with Tesla Home Charging Support. Amazingly, they answer their phones! The fellow who helped me asked for a video of the lights on the unit, which I have sent. in the past two days, the unit has worked some of the time, not the rest, so I cannot tell what is going on. I hope the diagnostic info that Tesla asked for will help them.
Oh, and they did confirm that the mobile service people do not service the WCs. My impression was that they might send an electrician, or ask me to get mine to come out. We'll see...