Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you need to top up the tire pressure?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
None of my tires seem to hold air for very long. Since I got my Model S in June, I've had to add air to my tires about once a month. I top them up to 45 and a few weeks later tpms gets grumpy. All 4 tires will have lost a few pounds.

I've never had a car with such high pressure tires. Is this normal?

Yes, normal. I'm guessing the higher pressure helps keep the desired tire profile under the heavier weight of the car. I have the 19" Michelins and top them off about every 6 months or so (usually due to a warning on the dash), which then brings them up from 39~40 to 45psi (that may explain why my last set only got ~22K miles). Since you are topping off more regularly, keeping your average pressure higher and closer to spec, you may actually see longer tire life.

Question for dual motor owners: Are you finding tire wear more uniform between front and rear, or is there a measurable difference? For my legacy 2013 old fashion classic single motor Model S, the rear tires wear faster than the front (due to Regen only on the rear), so I wonder if having dual motors splits the wear more evenly..??..

None of my tires seem to hold air for very long. Since I got my Model S in June, I've had to add air to my tires about once a month. I top them up to 45 and a few weeks later tpms gets grumpy. All 4 tires will have lost a few pounds.

What was the ambient temperature change every month from the time you filled to the time you checked and decided to fill again since June? Were the tires warm or were all measurements taken on 'cold' tires? What was the air pressure each time you topped it off?

There are a lot of variables, but I don't think you're experiencing anything to be concerned about. Keep an eye on them next spring as it starts to get warmer.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=73

Temperature variations at work here. As it gets colder, the cold tire pressures drop. I have the pressure readings on the dash always turned on. When they fall 2 psi below spec I pull out my air pump and adjust them. That may be once a month or once a week. Maintaining tire pressure is one of the best things you can do -- affects tire wear, ride, handling, etc. Don't sell it short.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck and jerry33
None of my tires seem to hold air for very long. Since I got my Model S in June, I've had to add air to my tires about once a month. I top them up to 45 and a few weeks later tpms gets grumpy. All 4 tires will have lost a few pounds
That is contrary to my experience during almost 3 years of Model S ownership. I rarely have to add air to my tires which are the standard Michelin Primacy. Maybe once or twice a year I add air. Which amazes me.

Yes I do check them with a good quality gauge every few months.

I also rarely add air. In 1.5 years, I've probably added air.... 3 or 4 times?

I glance at them through the TPMS every couple weeks, and it's pretty consistent. When it drops more than 2-3psi, I add air and check them with an external gauge. Usually happens as it's getting colder (expected).

It depends A LOT on your climate. I check my tires once a month in fall, perhaps once every two months in spring/summer. and as often as there is dry pavement in winter (probably 1 per 1.5 months). The range and efficiency increase from tires with full pressure (whatever that means to you) is significant. Heck, try upping the pressure.

Thank you kindly.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I don't think what I'm seeing is seasonal. I was adding air the whole time up and down the temperature ladder through the sumner. I'm in socal so temperature changes are minimal anyways.

Maybe it's a Goodyear thing? That's what came on my car.

I've seen the same behavior as the OP. I started noticing it in the summer when the SvC tried to tell me I needed new front tires (I didn't according to tire shop). I became hyper aware of my tires and started checking pressure regularly. I'd say I noticed it drop 2-3 psi every 6 weeks. I bought winter tires and had them put on late October. I noticed on Sat they were down 4 psi which I attribute mostly to the big drop in temp. All 4 tires dropped to 41. I doubt it's the valves. From here on out I will be checking them every 4-6 weeks.

I check mine once a month and usually need to top them up. Ambient temp is certainly a factor, but the temp in my garage doesn't change quite as much as outside, none the less, they usually need a little top up. BTW, same issue with my BMW which has much smaller and lower pressure tires.

I noticed the same thing with my previous ICE cars, the ride would start to get a little soft, you could feel it in the steering. Most people are driving around on poorly inflated tires.