Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you Super Charge?

How often do you Super Charge?

• Zero, or I rarely ever Super Charge.

Votes: 135 44.3%
  • 1 to 5 times per month

Votes: 119 39.0%
  • 6 to 10 times per month

Votes: 30 9.8%
  • 11 to 20 times per month

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 21 to 30 times per month

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I super charge about 10 times a month.
Just wondering how many times would be considered harmless, and how many times would be considered not great for the battery.

I don’t think there is any documentation about this, so I wanted to know what others thought. ?

You mean the one that had to have it's battery replaced TWICE already?

"The Model S has had its high voltage battery replaced twice under warranty at 194,000 and 324,000 miles."

Most owners would not reach 194,000 and 324,000 miles any time soon (Tesloop did it in 3 years and they still have 5 more years to go for battery warranty)!

If it wasn't so easy to supercharge for me, then I wouldn't do it so often.
Since October I've done the following:
upload_2019-3-16_21-45-15.png

+ probably 7+ supercharges on loaners etc.

I probably do 10+/month.

I don’t have proper inhome charging at home so I typically use the urban superchargers about 15 times a month to charge to various levels. Only really use the 120kw ones for road trips. Don’t know if there is any difference between a max charge rate of 72 vs 120 in terms of degradation.

I didn’t realize I charged 10 times a month, until I looked at my usage within my Tesla account.
I see based on the replies, I Super charge more than the average ....
My best guess, the 10 times a month, (basically two to three times a week), is not likely considered excessive, but not ideal for the old battery. ...

I may see if I can stretch my distance, and charge more at home going forward.

I think warmer weather, will have a positive impact on how many times I can avoid super charging, because I’ll get a little more range.

On occasion, I’ve also driven a few more miles at the end of the day when I saw the battery cold soaked (or close to cold soaked), to warm it up and super charge to avoid home charging a cold soaked battery in very cold temps.
I guess I figured, super charging a warm battery more often, is better than leaving a cold soaked battery to slow charge at home.
Not sure if that logic is sound, but that’s what I’ve done on occasion.

Last edited:
I drive 4K+ miles per month, mostly business travel, so I Supercharger quite often. Looked at my Tesla account and I have 10 - 15 charging sessions per month since buying the car in October. Many of my SC sessions are short, 15 minute charges to simply get me where I’m going. And I do have home charging and a L2 charging option at my most frequent destination, plus when I stay in a hotel I always look for those that provide L2 charging for guests and I always tell them I chose their hotel specifically for the charging.

I’m at almost 20k miles after 4.5 months of ownership so I figure my Model 3 will be a solid test for the durability of the battery. My plan is to keep this car roughly 5 years and 200k miles then move on to a Model Y or similar depending on what is available at that time.

I didn’t realize I charged 10 times a month, until I looked at my usage within my Tesla account.
I see based on the replies, I Super charge more than the average ....
The Battery Management System in Model 3 is the best around at the moment. The SoC, weather, etc. factor into a safe yet efficient charge rate on Model 3.

In my 6 Urban Super Charges in February, I'm averaging 26kw. Peak rate was 42kw on the one charge started below 50% State of Charge.

TL; DR -- BMS will take care of battery at Supercharger.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I drive 4K+ miles per month, mostly business travel, so I Supercharger quite often. Looked at my Tesla account and I have 10 - 15 charging sessions per month since buying the car in October. Many of my SC sessions are short, 15 minute charges to simply get me where I’m going. And I do have home charging and a L2 charging option at my most frequent destination, plus when I stay in a hotel I always look for those that provide L2 charging for guests and I always tell them I chose their hotel specifically for the charging.

I’m at almost 20k miles after 4.5 months of ownership so I figure my Model 3 will be a solid test for the durability of the battery. My plan is to keep this car roughly 5 years and 200k miles then move on to a Model Y or similar depending on what is available at that time.

Keep us posted.
Do you know what your current degradation percentage is. ?
I have 16,000 miles or 26,000 km’s on mine so far. Had it 5.5 months. I’m at about 98% capacity still.

Keep us posted.
I have 16,000 miles or 26,000 km’s on mine so far. Had it 5.5 months. I’m at about 98% capacity still.
Just for more info, I turned over 20,000 miles in 10.5 months and still charge to 320.09 miles per TeslaFi so still over 98% based on the 325 update, before the update with 19,000 miles I was still charging to 310 miles, when I first got the car I had regularly seen 313 and once 314.

I have 31 charges on the superchargers and have charged to 100% at home and destination chargers many, many times while road tripping, I charge to 90% every time I charge at home and usually plug in when the battery drops to around 50%

Keep us posted.

I’m not a Teslafi guy so I have not been measuring degradation like I used to with the Leaf. No noticeable degradation so far. When I have charged to 100% in the past it showed 309 or 310 on the GOM. I’ll charge to 100% tonight and see what it shows tomorrow morning. I often only charge to 90% even when road tripping b/c Supercharging is so easy. Should roll over 20k miles before noon tomorrow.