Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you use frunk?

How often do you use your frunk?

• Never. What is frunk?

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • Once a year (just to show people what it is?)

Votes: 42 33.1%
  • Once a month

Votes: 32 25.2%
  • Once a week

Votes: 20 15.7%
  • Every 2-3 days

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Everyday or nearly every time

Votes: 22 17.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there a easier way to open the frunk? besides on the screen or on the phone? kinda a pain to do it while holding a bunch of stuff, the trunk is easier as it has a handle right there, or am i missing something?

Unfortunately, no. I do wish there was some sort of easy release button. I always unlock from the screen because the phone app takes too long to open and connect.

Replaced the struts with hydraulic ones and now it springs open. I put my bag of Krav Maga gear in there. Still wish I could put a full size spare tire there, but I'll use it for what I can.

Limited usefulness in the frunk, coupled with unfriendly open and close processes, make it my last storage result. If the fob ever comes out and has a button to open the frunk, one of those issues will be solved.

As it is I use the frunk for stuff I rarely need like the UMC, some handy cleaning supplies (microfiber cloths, paper towels, doggie deposit pickup bags, and so on), and an inverter for when we travel and need 110v power for a laptop.

Unfortunately, no. I do wish there was some sort of easy release button. I always unlock from the screen because the phone app takes too long to open and connect.

Exactly. If they add a gesture (close fist -> open fingers 3 times) for the front camera to open the frunk it would be great! LOL. This morning, I walked out the donuts shop with 3 boxes of donuts. My car was parked outside with the front facing the front door of the shop. It would have been so easy to put them in the frunk...if the frunk was easy to open. But then closing it would be difficult too. I can hold the 3 boxes in one hand temporary, but you are not really supposed to close the frunk lid with one hand too often.

After reading of people having the latch fail and their groceries spoiling or not being able to get their work laptop out or purse/briefcase, I decided to forgo the frunk and use the trunk instead... It's also awkward to close. I just show the frunk to people unfamiliar with Tesla's because they think it's neat. I sure wish the rear seats had a locking mechanism for the trunk access like my 12 year old Acura... Looks like they are getting broken into quite a bit due to easy access so I try to keep the car as empty as possible.

1Slel6bYDmNpzNKdSVhCu7-nGnhAPOSqz_TGukxpsRk_N3WoifjC5E5UIY531PowyoLSawEBG

I find opening it merely mildly annoying. I mainly dislike closing it. It is awkward, takes two free hands, and feels flimsy and potentially damaging when I use a lot of force after it fails to latch the first time. For me it borders on worthless. Good for a rarely needed first aid kit or something.

I find opening it merely mildly annoying. I mainly dislike closing it. It is awkward, takes two free hands, and feels flimsy and potentially damaging when I use a lot of force after it fails to latch the first time. For me it borders on worthless. Good for a rarely needed first aid kit or something.

I sure wish they would have used one of those automatic latches.... Pretty sure we would have all paid the extra not too many bucks for it...

Same with the trunk, who wouldn't have paid a little extra for auto liftgate?

For a 60k+ car and seeing what other cars in the market have that feature, I just kind of assumed it would be included... still would have paid extra as well though...

Almost never. I don’t trust my frunk, as my frunk latch has failed twice. The first time, the service center replaced the front trunk actuator. I’ve opened the frunk maybe 1 or 2 times since it was fixed, and now it’s broken again. Time to schedule a service appointment.

I had mine replaced over the winter and last night it stopped working again. :( Wondering if the second fix has held up for you?