Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often do you use public charging stations? (non Supercharger)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My favorite L2 charger to use, even when I don't need it for range, is at Red Rocks amphitheater near Denver. It gets you upfront parking right next to the bands tour buses. Just tell security that you would like to access the charge point chargers at the trading post.

Otherwise I just use the. Occasionally around town, to show a demand for them. I normally put a tag with my cell number in case someone else needs to use the charger.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Has anyone seen any issues with people messing with the charging cable while charging at like a mall or somewhere?

Seems it would be a target for some more attention than I would like at a public spot but seems very convenient to use them when shopping or something like that.
I have never had an issue. For reference I have used extension cords at a couple of hotels that snaked around corridors for 100 feet and more. (kind hotels wanting to find a working 220v outlet to use, and others searching for 1120v. I probably have had such connections overnight a dozen times or so in various parts of the US. Not once have I had a problem.

I've not (yet) had the need to use a public charging station. Having Dual-Chargers and a 100A HPWC at home, with SuperChargers for road trips and Tesla Destination Chargers at a couple of resorts, it's been simple. I do admit to carrying one of each available NEMA connector and a CHAdeMO adapter in my lower trunk storage -- just in case. I've never used one of them, but knowing I have every available option to get a charge somewhere, somehow, someday, has done wonders to keep Range Anxiety tucked away where it belongs in the back of my head. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Macbest
My work has 6 chargepoint stalls for EV charging and I plug there everyday. I have a HWPC at home and I don't use it anymore. Why? Charging at work is free :) Never had problems with people unplugging mine. Maybe it's because it's at a business park as opposed to a mall.

Like some of the other posters I live in the very EV friendly SF Bay Area, but I think I've only needed to charge locally once (on a very long loop around the Bay where I should have range charged before leaving home). I'm hesitant to plug my 85D into local public chargers for opportunity charging, in case someone with a shorter-ranged EV needs one. (Keeping in mind some friends who had a Leaf as their only car with no home charging and had to go over to the local Whole Foods every few days to charge.)

All my road trips so far have been close to Supercharger routes although I always bring my full set of adapters with me if I anticipate needing to charge anywhere at all. I used my CHAdeMO adapter in Fresno a few times before the supercharger there came on-line.

Nobody's ever messed with my charging cable. But the act of plugging in has been a good conversation starter.

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and Macbest
Apex and North Hills Raleigh Chademo always work and I suspect the Sheetz Chademo's that charge $10 work but I haven't checked so don't paint the East coast with such a broad stroke. Oh and the Apex Nissan dealer worked for me a month ago.

Public charging - at one work location whenever I am there - twice a week usually. Out of town trips for sure - destination mostly - do we count that as public? In Wilmington on a beach weekend trip - definitely public, not destination. Downtown Raleigh - one of the spots is sweet (free and great location) so once a month when going to dinner.

I apparently am a free public charging whore. We have a too large EV annual fee so I feel somewhat entitled. But mostly I want people to see how easy it is and that the public chargers are not a waste. My last 6 hotel stays had destination charging - mostly Tesla but some public versions (downtown Durham).

Was the question - did I need to? Well destination for sure and the one Wilmington trip - Tesla branded but at a mall, not my destination. The rest - no I didn't need them.

Apex and North Hills Raleigh Chademo always work and I suspect the Sheetz Chademo's that charge $10 work but I haven't checked so don't paint the East coast with such a broad stroke. Oh and the Apex Nissan dealer worked for me a month ago.

Public charging - at one work location whenever I am there - twice a week usually. Out of town trips for sure - destination mostly - do we count that as public? In Wilmington on a beach weekend trip - definitely public, not destination. Downtown Raleigh - one of the spots is sweet (free and great location) so once a month when going to dinner.

I apparently am a free public charging whore. We have a too large EV annual fee so I feel somewhat entitled. But mostly I want people to see how easy it is and that the public chargers are not a waste. My last 6 hotel stays had destination charging - mostly Tesla but some public versions (downtown Durham).

Was the question - did I need to? Well destination for sure and the one Wilmington trip - Tesla branded but at a mall, not my destination. The rest - no I didn't need them.

Unfortunately for me, the downtown Apex CHADeMO was out of service last night. I then went to the Nissan dealer and kept getting a 0x0001 error when trying to use my new adapter. :(

Destination Charging is something at the far end [of your journey] that you park at, and charge. For example a Hotel or Restaurant (or might be a Condo that you vacation at)

Public charging is a charging "pump" in a public place, such as a car park. Super Charger is an example of this, but also applies to chargers of other types that may need an adaptor such as a Chademo adaptor.

I think people call Super Chargers "Super Chargers", rather than "Public Chargers" :) - so generally Public Chargers would be slower / lower AMP "pumps".

I almost never use public L2 chargers ever since getting my Model S. For 2 reasons.

1) The S range is ample and I just don't feel compelled to plug into an L2 charger when shopping or visiting some place with a public charger. Some nights I don't even bother plugging in at home.

2) Most public chargers are set up for charging a port in the front of the car, but the Model S has the charge port in the back. And I'm not real fond of playing the "is the cord long enough" game. Others in the parking lot seeing me struggle to plug my car in isn't going to sell the cause.

However, that all said, I am a big supporter of destination charging at hotels. I just don't take many vacations, so I haven't had the opportunity to do that yet.

2) Most public chargers are set up for charging a port in the front of the car, but the Model S has the charge port in the back. And I'm not real fond of playing the "is the cord long enough" game. Others in the parking lot seeing me struggle to plug my car in isn't going to sell the cause.
Why can't you just back into the space, and pretend that's the front of the car ;)

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Why can't you just back into the space, and pretend that's the front of the car ;)

Good question. Most of the public charging stations in my area that I would use are in parking lots with angled spaces to match direction of traffic. This complicates things, and makes backing in a lot more problematic. You are right that it wouldn't be a big deal if the parking spaces were straight ins.

Reactions: Max*
A lot of DC area representation in this thread!

I'd echo that, all else being equal, I'll support a business that has installed a charger. And I charge to help show utilization of chargers. It can also be a nice conversation-starter.

When I go to Ocean City, MD, I'll definitely avail myself of the HPWCs that they installed. (Another benefit I've gotten from perusing this forum, I would not have known about this.)

Planning to go to Tuscaloosa, AL next month where finding L2 charging will be challenging.

Last edited: