Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how often does MY need tire balance/alignment?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
have early 2022 MY and the car has been great. I am swapping to summer tire soon and question came to my head; does MY have some kind of reminder/sensor to detect if i need to balance/align my tires? and is there some kind of "recommended maintenance" of balanace/alignment for every x mile/years?

this is my first EV so i also don't know if i have to take it to tesla service center for tire balance/alignment or can i go to a local tire shop and they'll be able to handle tesla for balance/alignement?

have early 2022 MY and the car has been great. I am swapping to summer tire soon and question came to my head; does MY have some kind of reminder/sensor to detect if i need to balance/align my tires? and is there some kind of "recommended maintenance" of balanace/alignment for every x mile/years?

this is my first EV so i also don't know if i have to take it to tesla service center for tire balance/alignment or can i go to a local tire shop and they'll be able to handle tesla for balance/alignement?
It's nothing special for EV when it comes to tire service. Any generic tire shop can work on your tire service except for one thing: Just make sure they know the jack points so they don't damage the battery at the bottom of your car.

If your wheel is not in "balance", it would wobble and you can feel it with your steering wheel. Usually, it is done with each new tire so they can stick on those weights on the wheels to balance it out.

balancing.jpg

wheel-weights.jpg

The premature and uneven worn tire thread could mean alignment problems. That means someone needs to inspect the tread. It's usually convenient to do that when you change/rotate your tires.

As long as your local tire shop has the software for alignment, it's very easy for them to do and you don't have to go to Tesla.

Reactions: 7Karma

The Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual recommends rotating the tires (front to back) every 10,000km (6250 miles.) If your tires are wearing evenly (inner, center and outer edge) then your alignment is still good. If the tread depth difference between the front and rear tires is more than 2/32nd of an inch the Telsa Model Y will detect the rotational difference and display a message to the driver that it is time to rotate the tires.

If you switch to winter tires in the fall then that would be the time to label or use chalk to mark the non-winter tires (Front Left, Rear Left, Front Right, Rear Right) so that in the spring you know where to place them on the vehicle.

A basic tire tread depth gauge is inexpensive, very useful when judging tire wear. Get one that reads in 32nd of an inch in addition to millimeters as 32nd of an inch is the way tire tread is specified in the US. For example, the Continental Procontact RX tires that come with the 19" Gemini wheels have 9/32nd of an inch of tread when new. (Some tires have 10/32nd when new.) Tires must be replaced for safety when they have 3/32nd or less of tread remaining. Some replace their tires when the tread depth is at or less than 4/32nd.

Reactions: 7Karma
I've driven cars that have been rotated every 10k, and even at 40K they still don't have a vibration. It's usually something that is good for a while as long as the initial balance was done properly. Once you start to feel something at highway speeds, its time. My factory Model 3 wheels and tires were still rolling perfect at 20K before tire replacement.