Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often does Tesla release new inventory?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm shopping for a new model S. I've been using Tesla Info: A buyer's guide, worldwide inventory listings and support for owners (if there is a better site, please let me know!) A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a big uptick in the number of new inventory cars matching my criteria. Each day, a couple go away as they get sold. But I don't really notice any getting added back in. Which leads me to believe that they release cars into inventory in batches. Can anyone confirm that? And if that is in fact true, any idea when these batches get released? End of month? Quarterly? Randomly? There are cars I could pull the trigger on now if I had too, but I've seen 'better cars' (either more ideal options or just a better price for what I'm looking for) on there before, so I can't decide if I should click the buy button before the options keep dwindling, or if at this point, I should hold out for the next batch to be released and start the process over again. Any insights?

I'm shopping for a new model S. I've been using Tesla Info: A buyer's guide, worldwide inventory listings and support for owners (if there is a better site, please let me know!) A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a big uptick in the number of new inventory cars matching my criteria. Each day, a couple go away as they get sold. But I don't really notice any getting added back in. Which leads me to believe that they release cars into inventory in batches. Can anyone confirm that? And if that is in fact true, any idea when these batches get released? End of month? Quarterly? Randomly? There are cars I could pull the trigger on now if I had too, but I've seen 'better cars' (either more ideal options or just a better price for what I'm looking for) on there before, so I can't decide if I should click the buy button before the options keep dwindling, or if at this point, I should hold out for the next batch to be released and start the process over again. Any insights?

Production is batched quarterly. Cars produced early in each quarter are generally intended for overseas sales (to allow transport time for them to be delivered before the end of the quarter). Later production is intended for the US market. So in the US, you will almost always see more available new inventory in the last month of the quarter. December will be the next big push.

Won't you only get a "better price" based on the options not included?

Won't you only get a "better price" based on the options not included?
He could be looking at "new" cars with a few miles on them. Those that were used for loaner cars or demo cars by Tesla. I found mine right at the end of Q3 with a great discount due to miles and a scratch. I think you just have to be ready, and if one comes up that matches what you want, you need to just pull the trigger. If it has enough of a discount to entice you, then you have found your next car!

Yes, that's correct. These few demo miles (usually ranging from 50 to 1500) can be worth as much as a $10K discount (or more) from what I've seen. And you're also right that one needs to be trigger-ready when shopping that way. I've had half a dozen cars slip through my fingers, just as I had gotten sign-off from the wife to pull the trigger. Having learned my lesson the hard way on multiple occasions, I've worked out my spousal pre-authorization parameters so that I can pull said trigger as soon as I find the right thing.

Yes, that's correct. These few demo miles (usually ranging from 50 to 1500) can be worth as much as a $10K discount (or more) from what I've seen. And you're also right that one needs to be trigger-ready when shopping that way. I've had half a dozen cars slip through my fingers, just as I had gotten sign-off from the wife to pull the trigger. Having learned my lesson the hard way on multiple occasions, I've worked out my spousal pre-authorization parameters so that I can pull said trigger as soon as I find the right thing.

Spousal pre-approval is key to being able to pull the trigger. It helped me that used car prices are way higher than they were 6 months ago, so I got a much better trade-in value that made the purchase of the demo Model S a reasonable thing. Good luck.

• Funny
Reactions: umair239
I saw a grey S demo in NYC. About 1K miles on it and 2 curbed wheels. The discount was under 2000. Not worth it. Would love to know where to get one for 10K off. I don't believe it exists.

Search this or other Tesla forums and you will find plenty of posts about people getting discounts much higher than even $10k over the years. Sometimes portions of these discounts also reflected general retail price reductions that may have occurred since a particular car was built but the "savings" from original (when built) retail prices could be significant.

Look at what's been happening in just the last six months. A new Model S LR+ built in May would've had a base price of $79,990 but with two price reductions since and Musk's tweet today, the price is now apparently going to be $69,420. That's essentially $10k off right there for brand new.

They tend to dump everything at the end of each quarter to avoid having "inventory". My daughter just got a great deal on a used X at the end of September. They were watching the car at our local SC and the price dropped a few thousand the last week. Car is in excellent condition. 16,000 miles.

Just curious, what is your reasoning for disagreeing with my post?
The $2000 is significant?
or
There are larger discounts available?

Don't take this as a confrontation, just trying to understand.
Regards
No worries. Oh I disagreed with the part that larger discounts don't exist. I got a model s two weeks ago with 11k discount and for performance M3 I purchased last year I got 12k discount for it being a test drive unit. Discounts like that are only available towards the end of quarter and it's best to hit a service center rep who can hook you up with a good deal.
I agree with you on the 2k discount being not worth it at all
Wish we were allowed multiple ratings because I agree with first half but disagree with the second bit of your comment

Reactions: 1windy
Here is an example of an MS Performance with a reduction from original build date price of over $15k, or over $7lk off current list, and we’re nowhere near the end of the quarter: 2020 Model S | Tesla

Since the large discount deals tend to be "hidden" (not posted on the Tesla website), it's best to talk to a Tesla sales associate if you are bargain hunting.

I found one near in the exact configuration I wanted but with 1800 miles a couple of days ago. I believe it was 88k at the time. Thought too long about the miles and it was gone. Blue with white, 21in wheels and no FSD. It was a good discount.

Funny thing, I was speaking with someone today about the "hidden" cars and again it shows the lack of uniform info between SAs. The gentleman told me Tesla did away with hidden inventories and that everyone can see what they see... yet, 4 days prior I was speaking with a different SA who was able to pull up some hidden cars.

Funny thing, I was speaking with someone today about the "hidden" cars and again it shows the lack of uniform info between SAs. The gentleman told me Tesla did away with hidden inventories and that everyone can see what they see... yet, 4 days prior I was speaking with a different SA who was able to pull up some hidden cars.

There can be lots of inconsistencies in information coming from Tesla associates, both in sales and service. I don't know if it's mostly ignorance or them purposely lying / trying to mislead.