Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often does your car wake up when parked?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3rd party apps can prevent the car from sleeping, or can wake the car up. That means the car will use slightly more energy. Whether that leads to degradation or not is unclear.
People also use the information that is presented in those 3rd party apps, as well as the "mileage remaining" indication of the battery, as a way to measure degradation. Sadly, that is NOT a good indicator of battery degradation yet people seem hell bent on thinking it is.
A reasonably good way to know the health of your battery is to do as Bjorn Nyland does in his Youtube videos: charge full, drive conservatively, charge full again, and see how much energy your battery can really hold. Even this is an imperfect approximation. Add to that the fact that Tesla doesn't officially disclose the kWh rating of the battery in the car you buy when new and that is an almost impossible task.

This thread is NOT at all focused on degradation. I have no idea why some people have veered in that direction. I am only curious to know how other cars behave, so I might figure out why the car is waking up. I am curious, that is all :)

Reactions: Silicon Desert
3rd party apps can prevent the car from sleeping, or can wake the car up. That means the car will use slightly more energy. Whether that leads to degradation or not is unclear.
People also use the information that is presented in those 3rd party apps, as well as the "mileage remaining" indication of the battery, as a way to measure degradation. Sadly, that is NOT a good indicator of battery degradation yet people seem hell bent on thinking it is.
A reasonably good way to know the health of your battery is to do as Bjorn Nyland does in his Youtube videos: charge full, drive conservatively, charge full again, and see how much energy your battery can really hold. Even this is an imperfect approximation. Add to that the fact that Tesla doesn't officially disclose the kWh rating of the battery in the car you buy when new and that is an almost impossible task.

This thread is NOT at all focused on degradation. I have no idea why some people have veered in that direction. I am only curious to know how other cars behave, so I might figure out why the car is waking up. I am curious, that is all :)
yup, agree on that.