Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often does your M3P get rebooted? Disillusioned after 25 days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This could be phantom presses, happened to both my 3 and Y. But easily resolved in my case using a paper towel and cleaning the display.

Don't use cleaners or shop towels (i.e. the "blue paper towels"), but plain white paper towels.
Yes, phantom presses can be an issue. This can happy with a dirty screen or even from after wiping the screen. Usually rebooting clears that though. I had wiped down the screen and put back the factory screen protector and the screen went crazy. A reboot fixed that.

Yes, phantom presses can be an issue. This can happy with a dirty screen or even from after wiping the screen. Usually rebooting clears that though. I had wiped down the screen and put back the factory screen protector and the screen went crazy. A reboot fixed that.

I don't think there is a factory screen protector ... That's just a plastic sheet for manufacturing / shipping, not meant for use (visual or touch).

My 2018 M3 Midrange has never had any of these issues. But what's important to one person might not matter to another. E.g. I don't think (even) the Premium sound system sounds exceptional. You've been unlucky that things that matter to you have descended on your experience, like thinking that the sound system muting briefly is a shameful disgusting engineering flaw that Tesla should be crucified for. It sounds long term like you deserve a much more expensive car. In the meantime, please do get this car serviced, it's probably unsafe to drive in this condition -- can't you tell it's broken?

p.s. If this was mine, I would limp down to the nearest Service Center, show them a few of the faults, and refuse to drive it further, citing danger to the public . They'll either give you a strippy Model S or Uber vouchers, and repair the Model 3.

Last edited:
I'm amused at how willing so many Tesla owners are to accept mediocrity from Tesla that owners from just about any other car maker would not put up with silently. Perhaps that is why Tesla takes its sweet time to fix bugs that other companies would have fixed pre-production. The willingness to not complain and to mock those who complain doesn't help to motivate Tesla to improve its quality and customer service. I guess things like being ranked near bottom of the barrel for quality by JD Powers should also be mocked... "Tesla did not fare well in this year’s J.D. Power Dependability study. Of the 33 automakers ranked, Tesla got 30th, beating only Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, and of course Land Rover."

On the plus side, I've "only" had to reboot it once this past month and it spontaneously rebooted itself once last week. Maybe the last software update cleared out some of the Gremlins that were present before.

I have not had time to take it into the service center until yesterday when it had to be towed in. I ran over a small defect in the roadway, comparable to a small pothole, and both tires that went over it pinched the sidewalls and went flat. Will take the opportunity while there to fix a few things such as the rear spoiler coming off, wrinkled rear deck panel, and have them run diagnostics so see if they find anything abnormal causing reboots.

I'm amused at how willing so many Tesla owners are to accept mediocrity from Tesla that owners from just about any other car maker would not put up with silently. Perhaps that is why Tesla takes its sweet time to fix bugs that other companies would have fixed pre-production. The willingness to not complain and to mock those who complain doesn't help to motivate Tesla to improve its quality and customer service. I guess things like being ranked near bottom of the barrel for quality by JD Powers should also be mocked... "Tesla did not fare well in this year’s J.D. Power Dependability study. Of the 33 automakers ranked, Tesla got 30th, beating only Jaguar, Alfa Romeo, and of course Land Rover."

On the plus side, I've "only" had to reboot it once this past month and it spontaneously rebooted itself once last week. Maybe the last software update cleared out some of the Gremlins that were present before.

I have not had time to take it into the service center until yesterday when it had to be towed in. I ran over a small defect in the roadway, comparable to a small pothole, and both tires that went over it pinched the sidewalls and went flat. Will take the opportunity while there to fix a few things such as the rear spoiler coming off, wrinkled rear deck panel, and have them run diagnostics so see if they find anything abnormal causing reboots.

On your screen complaint.... who installed your radar detector?

The rest of your comments / complaints I am not commenting on, but your complaint about screen reboots is interesting because most dont have nearly that many of reboots, and because you have tapped your electrical with an aftermarket device of some sort. I would recommend removing that before you take the car in.

It's more to the fact that lots of Tesla owners are prepared to give the company time to sort out its issues. Its a relatively new company with issues it needs to sort out. It will and I am prepared to give them time to do that. My car has a couple of issues but then so did my Audi. I didnt crucify Audi either, its just part of life that fast moving things over imperfect roads sometimes have issues. I am not deterred one bit in buying another Tesla, in fact my order for CT is done! I am surprised that you didn't just cancel your order when you read the JD Power study and consider that owners accept mediocrity...you dont sound as though you like the car you bought. Solution is to sell it and move on with a brand you do like...

@Alan2000 you strike me as the kind of guy who's astute enough to recognize feces at a distance. You'd read all the J D Powers rankings, the Consumer Reports, Mary Bara's prophecies, and you've recently seen our President's praise only for union car-builders, their leader Gary Jones' conviction for embezzling UAW funds this summer notwithstanding. You've evidently sniffed around these fora long enough to realize Tesla owners are mostly mindless fanboys. So, tell us, with all the preparation, did you spend money on this POS out of insatiable masochism, or to come generously enlighten the unfortunates who are unable to spot all the problems? Either way, it's wonderful.

LOL - Some of the fanboy comments crack me up. Before I address that, here is the latest more on-topic info:

After improving for a month or so, today my M3P had cascading issues:

- Stereo stopped working but started again after a reboot
- Side cameras not working in AM
- All cameras not working by PM
- Sentry mode stopped working
- Traffic visualization stopped working
- Cruise control stopped working
- Autopilot stopped working
- Backup camera stopped working (multiple reboots failed to clear the above issues)
- 220v charging stopped working (after unplugging from 220v to 110v and back to 220v charging started working again)
- Strange grinding noise when trunk closes

A couple of weeks ago I had the car towed to the dealer because I got 2 flats going over a very small pothole with the 20" rims. Dealer was supposed to mount the 2 new tires, replace the spoiler that was coming off, and run a diagnostic to check for the source of glitches mentioned at the start of this thread. They "forgot" to run the diagnostics on the car. I guess someone is going to say I should be happy that a Tesla dealer solved 2 out of 3 things they were supposed to do on the visit. LOL. An appointment is scheduled for the above glitches next week.

Like I've said before, I think the M3P is the best value around for a fast and fun daily driver, but I'm not going to sugarcoat anything because I didn't buy it to save the planet, nor am I infatuated with Elon. I didn't spend much time researching the car. 0-60 in low 3's and under $60K with the refreshed interior was good enough for me. But I did expect a higher level of technological proficiency, reliability, and service. Tesla can launch a car to Mars but can't program a web browser? CS is abysmal. Can't sign up for autopay online without faxing and snail mailing documents, etc. It's really odd how they did so well with the drivetrain and fail on other simple things. In my immediate family, we have deposits and pending orders for a Model S, Model X, and a Cybertruck. Delivery estimates change daily and appear to be done with a random number generator fluctuating by months back and forth. It's actually very bizarre. That doesn't mean I wouldn't buy the M3P again based on what is available NOW. But it definitely can/will change buying decisions as other options come to market.

The Model S may be canceled for an EQS if they become available before the random S delivery date. S appeared to have a nice edge on the EQS in range but recent real-world testing showed they are actually pretty close. But MB dealers are adding a $40K premium to EQS pricing which is moving the needle back toward the S. The X will be replaced with a Rivian RS1 as soon as that is out given the very poor X reliability. Cybertruck will be replaced by the R1T if the Cybertruck even comes out first. (Won't cancel the Cybertruck order as likely when it comes out, if not way out in the future, can flip it for a profit.) So yes, there are options coming to market that unless Tesla steps up their game will cost them sales.

Am I a Tesla hater? No, but they need some tough love to get their act together. They have so much potential and talent and there is no excuse for the crappy service and many of the stupid problems but for poor management. I really hope Tesla improves as I want Tesla to push other EV makers to make cars more performance-oriented. I think if it wasn't for Tesla you would see other makers with even slower performance.

Not going to respond further to fanboy comments. If you are happy as-is, then I'm happy for you. : )

LOL - Some of the fanboy comments crack me up. Before I address that, here is the latest more on-topic info:

After improving for a month or so, today my M3P had cascading issues:

- Stereo stopped working but started again after a reboot
- Side cameras not working in AM
- All cameras not working by PM
- Sentry mode stopped working
- Traffic visualization stopped working
- Cruise control stopped working
- Autopilot stopped working
- Backup camera stopped working (multiple reboots failed to clear the above issues)
- 220v charging stopped working (after unplugging from 220v to 110v and back to 220v charging started working again)
- Strange grinding noise when trunk closes

A couple of weeks ago I had the car towed to the dealer because I got 2 flats going over a very small pothole with the 20" rims. Dealer was supposed to mount the 2 new tires, replace the spoiler that was coming off, and run a diagnostic to check for the source of glitches mentioned at the start of this thread. They "forgot" to run the diagnostics on the car. I guess someone is going to say I should be happy that a Tesla dealer solved 2 out of 3 things they were supposed to do on the visit. LOL. An appointment is scheduled for the above glitches next week.

I get you man, that must be really aggravating. However, I've had absolutely none of these problems, zero, zilch, nada. My car has been excellent and the one service experience I had (replacing a curbed wheel) was also excellent. I will admit I've hat to reboot twice since March, but for minor things that did not impact the drivability or safety of the car in any way. Again sorry you are having these issues, but it's not indicative of the typical owner experience. If that makes me a fanboy, so be it.

TIm

Reactions: ODWms and dmurphy
One thing I have not seen addressed by this OP, even though I asked, is "who installed the aftermarket radar detector?" The OP is describing all sorts of issues that could be related to wiring harnesses, someone tapped the wiring to install a radar detector, but it does not appear that this is even being considered as a possible cause.

I continue to believe those things are related, since most of us do not experience what this OP is experiencing. Saying that I dont experience all these things, and perhaps Op should check the aftermarket electrical item they installed if they are having electrical issues doesnt make me a fanboy. I am certainly not a "Tesla stan", there is a lot they dont do great, but most cars do not experience anything near what is described here.