Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often does your M3P get rebooted? Disillusioned after 25 days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today is day 25 of ownership. I've averaged more that 1 reboot per week. I think I'm on #5 as of today. (MCU crash when accessing owner's manual, while backing up 2x, something I already forgot, and the latest was today to stop my trunk from continuously opening and closing.) No other auto manufacture would put out a product with such poorly programmed software/hardware. Is it normal for Tesla to take months to address problems that should have never occurred in the first place had they done proper testing? I was hoping my car was defective, but searching the forums people have been complaining of their MCU crashing for months, or over a year with no updates to fix the known issues.

This last event was triggered when I returned to my car car with my wife from a dealership after looking as a new car for her. I pressed the dash cam icon to see if anything was recorded. When I pressed the dash cam icon to launch the viewer my trunk popped open. I got out of the car to look at the trunk. The trunk was empty and there was nothing that was against the trunk and nobody had hit it. As I was standing outside it was full closing and opening on its own. Sometimes it would pause half way up and then resume. I tried using the MCU, Tesla app, and my iPhone app to close the trunk to see if that would stop the cycle but it kept doing the trunk happy dance. It was not until I rebooted the car that the trunk went back to normal. Anyone else experience this before? (I saw a post from 12/2019 of the trunk and frunk opening when the power plug button was pressed to disconnect it.)

I'm not here to trash Tesla, but have to admit I'm rather disillusioned at the incredibly buggy user interface (MCU) and the general low tech nature of same. Some very basic features found on much less expensive cars are curiously missing in the M3P. Yes, I know the M3 is the entry level Tesla, but the M3P is $17,000 more than the base model and not exactly econo priced. A few things that surprised me was the rather basic backup display that lacks a bird's eye view when backing up. With so many cameras Tesla couldn't figure out how to offer that feature? Cars at half the cost have had that for a while now. No cross traffic sensors? No Apple or Android Play, really? No Waze except for laggy web browser version that is non-interactive? With a MCU that is off to the side, no basic HUD display in front of the driver? Cheap mid level Hyundai's have these features and more.

So while I love driving the car, and the interior and the fit and finish are great, I'm disappointed at how low tech it is when you compare it to other cars in the market that nobody expects to be high tech. Then throw on top of that the MCU crashing or needing to reboot about 1x per week, and it's just sad. Shaking my head at the lost potential for Tesla for what I think is sloppy management. I bought the M3P because I like to drive my cars like they are stolen, and the M3P fits the bill perfectly for that. I would still buy it again (today). But for people like my wife who could care less if the vehicle does 0-60 in 3 seconds or 9 seconds, I think they would be better off saving the money and buying something else. There will be a day when there is not a waiting list to order a Tesla, with many other EV offerings available by long established auto manufacturers. That day is coming in a couple more short years. Hopefully, Tesla starts to take care of the small details that other manufacturers already are very good at doing, or there may be little reason soon for people to continue to buy Teslas. Come on Elon, let's see some more of that rage coming out to fire more people on the spot directed at those in charge of the MCU and user experience!

I only reboot after each update. I made my needs checklist before I purchased the car and knew what I was going into before I signed. I don't need fish eye backup as I find the camera more than adequate (ie I dont reverse out of spaces like a bat out of hell), cross traffic alerts (camera is good enough for me) or HUD (all I need to know is my speed and that is right there at a glance). If these were game changers for me then I wouldn't buy the M3...if your partner needs these things then just get another car. Simple really.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
Today is day 25 of ownership. I've averaged more that 1 reboot per week. I think I'm on #5 as of today. (MCU crash when accessing owner's manual, while backing up 2x, something I already forgot, and the latest was today to stop my trunk from continuously opening and closing.) No other auto manufacture would put out a product with such poorly programmed software/hardware. Is it normal for Tesla to take months to address problems that should have never occurred in the first place had they done proper testing? I was hoping my car was defective, but searching the forums people have been complaining of their MCU crashing for months, or over a year with no updates to fix the known issues.

One reboot since March here.

Tim

OP, sorry your ownership experience and excitement have been greatly diminished by a faulty MCU or whatever the issue might be. Hope Tesla will be able to correct the problem(s) for you soon.

It is clear Tesla needs to improve in some areas. However, I guess I have been fortunate in that everything about my particular vehicle has performed flawlessly from day one (picked up my car in early August 2019). I’ve never had to reboot or re-start the vehicle and every software update has been quick & glitch-free.

Reactions: TBrownTX
The crash after viewing owners manual is a known bug which they're working on. Changing the language from english to something else and back to english clears it. Other crashes are rare and becoming rarer. The trunk malfunction is unique. Make a service appointment.

The reboots are clearly not right. Before scheduling a service call, I’d recommend you do a full reset of the car’s settings. That might do the trick and save the hassle of scheduling service.

However, your other gripes are just that - gripes. Everything on your list was known or could have been known before you bought the car. The car will never get Apple Play or Android Auto. The cameras on the car actually do not support a bird’s eye view due to no front bumper camera. Cross traffic alert isn’t there, never has been, and might never be. There’s no HUD on any Tesla, so it’s not likely going to appear on their lowest end model. All things that new owners are too often compelled to complain in the forums yet would have taken minimal effort to know about before purchase. If you knew the car didn’t have these things and still bought it (like the vast majority of buyers) then what’s the complaint for?

I force reboot about as often as I read people say that about a Tesla, which is like never. 🤣

LOL TLLMRRJ. - I was very surprised that after walking around and examining the panel gaps, and the fitment of the parts in the interior, that they were great! I really did not expect that at all based on other Teslas I've seen in parking lots, and forum posts. Even the paint was great. Not sure if I got lucky or the QC has been improving. I have to credit where credit it due.

The reboots are clearly not right. Before scheduling a service call, I’d recommend you do a full reset of the car’s settings. That might do the trick and save the hassle of scheduling service.

However, your other gripes are just that - gripes. Everything on your list was known or could have been known before you bought the car. The car will never get Apple Play or Android Auto. The cameras on the car actually do not support a bird’s eye view due to no front bumper camera. Cross traffic alert isn’t there, never has been, and might never be. There’s no HUD on any Tesla, so it’s not likely going to appear on their lowest end model. All things that new owners are too often compelled to complain in the forums yet would have taken minimal effort to know about before purchase. If you knew the car didn’t have these things and still bought it (like the vast majority of buyers) then what’s the complaint for?

Like I said, I'd still buy it again, but as soon at any another manufacturer releases a comparable car in terms of performance/price, I may not buy a Tesla again all things being equal. For some reason people are far more forgiving about incompetence at Tesla than they are with other auto manufacturers. That is detrimental to the long term health of Tesla to not hold them to the same standards. They obviously have very talented engineers who designed the drivetrain (and killer stereo) : ), but they have dropped the ball with the MCU and user experience. I'm up a bit in years, and have owned a number of cars. Just talking from experience that what I've experienced with Tesla is not tolerated with other manufacturers at that price point. There are A LOT of people who are not looking to be woke, to save the planet, or who want to go from 0-60 in a 2-5 seconds. Tesla better start working on "gripes" from those people if they want to sell cars to them when MB, Audi, Porsche, Ford, BMW. et al. start taking market share away from them.

I'm buying a new SUV for my wife soon and it will not be a Tesla. Why, because the tech, and superior safety and convenience features of what others have to offer now outweighs that of the Tesla X & Y. When we got the M3P she was excited about perhaps also getting a Tesla, but that has faded away seeing how the car is glitchy and lacks basics convenience and safety features present on other cars and doesn't want to "downgrade" to Tesla.

My disappointment also is in the number of "gripes" with the car. Even small things like for example each time the phone is set on or lifted off the cordless charger, the stereo goes silent for about a second. WTH? Why Tesla? The shame in all of this is that they are soooooooooo close to having an excellent all around car, but for what appears to be a lack of concern to customer "gripes", many of which are simple to fix. Please don't tell me they can launch satellites into space and can't figure out after a year how to prevent their MCU from crashing when loading a PDF manual. I remembered the reason for my 4th reboot. YouTube app buttons were unresponsive. Could not get them to work until I did a soft reboot.

I will follow your recommendation to do a hard reboot given some people appear to not have problems with their MCU crashing or needing to be rebooted on a weekly basis.

...No other auto manufacture would put out a product with such poorly programmed software/hardware. ...
I think the other manufacturers are far worse honestly. I've had my M3LR since 9/18. It has only rebooted spontaneously 2 or 3 times. I've rebooted it intentionally, maybe 5 times. It's way more stable than my Windows 10 PC or Samsung Galaxy phone :)

It sounds like your MCU might have a subtle defect that is causing your grief. As others have said, make an appointment. Hope it gets fixed to your satisfaction.

Zero reboots for my March build, forced or otherwise. Your possessed trunk and haunted wireless charger are pretty remarkable. I'd get that fixed.

With 3 cameras on a big screen there isn't a whole lot to be gained with a distorted "birds-eye" alternative, but they really should remove the ability to disable the side cameras. I suspect a lot of people think there's only 1 backup camera.

Sure, there's lots they could add to make it better:

- Blind spot indicators
- Cross traffic detection
- HUD
- Foot sweep trunk opening
- Some way to open the frunk easily (addressed last week with the app update!)
- Some way to close the frunk easily
- Ventilated massaging seats
- Sensors on the emergency door handles that trigger the normal electronic release first so I don't have to scold every passenger
- Apple, Amazon, Tidal, Sirius, etc. apps
- Pre-delivery communication

But remember, you didn't buy a $60,000 luxury car. You bought a $35,000 economy car with a $25,000 powertrain upgrade. You got what you paid for in that powertrain, and you also got a damn fine economy car for the money as well.

And also remember that Tesla's goal right now isn't to improve the car in every reasonable way - it's to expand their production capabilities. They have ~2 million people on waiting lists to buy vehicles that they don't even have factories for yet. Why didn't they spend an extra $5/car for some little yellow lights in the mirrors? Because they're playing the long game and it's much smarter to put that $5 into the next factory.

Last edited:
So with the 2021 M3P your stereos don't cut out when you put your iPhone on or off the charger?

@Gauss Guzzler - It's pretty remarkable that there is a message that comes up saying you may damage your trim when you use the mechanical door latch vs putting in a $1 switch to activate the window retraction when the mechanical lever is pulled. SMH. Even at $35,000 a Hyundai is going to have a very nice interior and most of the safety and convenience items missing on the Model 3. Also keep in mind that as you pay for a higher trim level, you should get more premium features. I really like that Tesla has a focus on performance, but they really need to step up their creature comfort and safety features. They are also missing out on making a lot more profit by not offering more packages. You can spend as much on options as the cost of the car with a Porsche. LOL. Makes them very profitable.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Your experience is not typical at least in terms of spontaneous reboots (there are known issues that were already pointed out by others, but there are obvious triggers). I haven't experienced one yet so far and had the car for about 9 months already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan2000