Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often does your M3P get rebooted? Disillusioned after 25 days.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You were right. A day or two after the software update everything started to go to crap again. After waiting weeks to get a date to get the car inspected at the Tesla service center, yesterday they inspected the car and determined that there is a defective control module. They ordered the part and scheduled a return visit for MID FEBRUARY to install the new module. So I have no cameras, no cruise control, no Sentry, no autopilot, no backup cam, for close to 2 months. SMH. This weekend I'm going to install a front and rear dash cam. Can't stand to drive a car with dash cams. On the plus side I'm glad they found what was wrong with it, but Tesla service really stinks in how long everything takes to get accomplished.

After the parking lot incident I pressed the dash cam button to save video but noting was recorded in the parking lot. I think I've seen the dash cam recording icon on when I've been parked and sitting in the car but not 100% sure. But once you get out the display turns off so I guess the dash cam stops recording continuously and hands off the recording to Sentry which maybe was not recording because I was next to the car and it was not locked? Fortunately didn't need to make any claim.
Well there is a global supply chain problem going on right now, so perhaps the part might take some time to arrive. hence the delay to get it fixed?

Reactions: TBrownTX
Given they are currently manufacturing the cars, they should have the parts for repairs more readily available. But it's a known fact Tesla repairs often take much longer than with other manufacturers. Annoying but not surprised. Just glad it was all glitched up when I dropped it off as the day before everything was working fine for part of the day which could have made it difficult to find the bad module if it was good when I dropped it off.

Given they are currently manufacturing the cars, they should have the parts for repairs more readily available. But it's a known fact Tesla repairs often take much longer than with other manufacturers. Annoying but not surprised. Just glad it was all glitched up when I dropped it off as the day before everything was working fine for part of the day which could have made it difficult to find the bad module if it was good when I dropped it off.

Jut wait until Gigafactory Texas opens up and that location is cranking out another 1M cars a year!

Tim

Reactions: TexasTezla
The factory always takes higher priority than repairs, parts in new cars makes money for Tesla, while repair parts, especially for replacement under warranty, costs money for Tesla.

When one of my rear passenger doors got stuck in mid May, my SC ordered a door controller just in case. I waited for months and the part never arrived (nor was there an ETA). Eventually in August the SC just told me to go in and luckily it didn't involve that part.

If only it worked that way! Never does with any manufacturer unfortunately. New car parts are totally separate from repair parts. Personally, and I know this doesn't help your case, I have found that Tesla respond very quickly to any service request I have had. I'm very satisfied with Tesla SC.

Update to my issues. "Main computer" was replaced mid February and that solved the glitches including cameras, Autopilot, Sentry Mode, anti collision features, etc. often not working. Move forward 90 days and the same issues started happening again. Appointment is set for mid June to replace the computer again. So for the 11 months I have had the car, about 1/3 of that time it has lacked basic safety features such as anti-collision and backup camera. Curious if the main computer will die again after ~90 days since that has happened twice already roughly 90 days apart each time.

Here in California, new vehicle lemon law applies if any of the three criteria below are applicable. (b) would apply if the computer dies again after the repair next month. If it dies again I would suspect something else is causing the computer to fail repeatedly.

"(a) The manufacturer or dealer hasn’t fixed the same problem after four or more attempts.
(b) Your vehicle’s problems could cause death or serious bodily injury if it is driven, and the manufacturer or dealer has made at least two unsuccessful repair attempts.
(c) The vehicle has been in the shop for more than 30 days (not necessarily in a row)
for repair of any problems covered by its warranty. This is called the Lemon Law Presumption."

Sorry to hear you're having all these issues. Not sure if you could successfully make a case that a lack of cameras and/or sensors 'could cause death or serious bodily injury if it is driven.' Most cars on the road do not have any cameras or sensors. If the throttle brakes and steering all work you are probably stuck waiting for (a) or (c). IANAL, YMMV, etc...

Reactions: rpiotro
Hopefully final update on glitching issue:

Got my car back last week. They said the “main computer” was replaced. As I drove off the lot from the service center I noticed a couple of the cameras were not working and turned around back to the service center.

The tech came out and checked the car while still in the customer parking lot. There were a lot off error codes and he told the service advisor it needs a new computer. They actually had replaced something else and not the main computer. The car was to be ready the next day. However, after the main computer was replaced it was still having random errors.

Long story short after 8 days got the car back after the SC spent a few days with Tesla engineering trying to figure out what was wrong as the SC ran out of ideas on what was wrong. The SC said there are 2 modules that connect to the main computer. The harness connector leading to one of the modules was “improperly installed.”

That would explain why from nearly day 1 the car was glitchy with random errors. It’s also something that would be hard to diagnose since it was causing intermittent issues. After 11 months and process of elimination hopefully it is all good now.

I need to take the car back today as my glove box is not working. Appears when they reassembled the dash they didn’t reinstall the glove box properly. That should be an easy fix.

Hopefully final update on glitching issue:

Got my car back last week. They said the “main computer” was replaced. As I drove off the lot from the service center I noticed a couple of the cameras were not working and turned around back to the service center.

The tech came out and checked the car while still in the customer parking lot. There were a lot off error codes and he told the service advisor it needs a new computer. They actually had replaced something else and not the main computer. The car was to be ready the next day. However, after the main computer was replaced it was still having random errors.

Long story short after 8 days got the car back after the SC spent a few days with Tesla engineering trying to figure out what was wrong as the SC ran out of ideas on what was wrong. The SC said there are 2 modules that connect to the main computer. The harness connector leading to one of the modules was “improperly installed.”

That would explain why from nearly day 1 the car was glitchy with random errors. It’s also something that would be hard to diagnose since it was causing intermittent issues. After 11 months and process of elimination hopefully it is all good now.

I need to take the car back today as my glove box is not working. Appears when they reassembled the dash they didn’t reinstall the glove box properly. That should be an easy fix.
Thanks for the update. Hopefully that fixes things. Intermittent harness issues tend to be the hardest to diagnose.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Thanks for the update. Hopefully that fixes things. Intermittent harness issues tend to be the hardest to diagnose.
It had the dealer stumped for a few days. Intermittent issues indeed a PITA.

On a side note, a couple days into to Tesla Model 3 loaner the dash cam icon circle changed from a circle to an X. Mine was doing that a couple of times per week and I assumed it was from the glitching problem I had. But since the new loaner with only 600 miles did that too, is there a known issue with the supplied Tesla USB drive? Should not have to be formatting those drives every week.

Reactions: DocHolliday
It had the dealer stumped for a few days. Intermittent issues indeed a PITA.

On a side note, a couple days into to Tesla Model 3 loaner the dash cam icon circle changed from a circle to an X. Mine was doing that a couple of times per week and I assumed it was from the glitching problem I had. But since the new loaner with only 600 miles did that too, is there a known issue with the supplied Tesla USB drive? Should not have to be formatting those drives every week.

Its a known issue with software 2022.12.xx. The new 2022.16.xx fixes it.