Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How often does your suspension adjust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't remember if it's always been like this, or if this is some new behavior, but I noticed recently the car raising or lowering at stop lights more frequently than I thought in the past (but I all really not sure). At first I thought it must be going back to standard after higher speeds where it auto lowers to low (say after a freeway exit), but after watching closely it's adjusting even when that is not the case. It seems like it adjusts at least once per in City drive. I tried looking at the suspension data screen but nothing stands out obvious there.

What have you guys seen with your MX? (I have a 2020 Performance). I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal or if it means I have a subtle air leak.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
+1 on this for me. 2020 Model X Performance.

I started noticing it about a month or two ago, at stop lights and after about 15 to 30 seconds the front noticeably raises. i’ve got mine set to Comfort, but based on this thread may try with some different settings to baseline the behavior on a known road/speed/light combinations.

Up until a couple of months ago I had the vehicle default to “low” to avoid shudder and never (consciously) noticed it.

I've been trying to baseline this over the last few weeks with no joy. The only consistency I've been able to observe (albeit still subjective observations) is that if I change the "weight" in the car from one driving session to the next, I'll generally reliably get a front suspension lift at my first stop light.

Example 1: Was driving with a passenger, parked the car overnight, and then drove first thing in the morning without a passenger, I get lift.
Example 2: Drove with my EMTB loaded on the hitch, took it off, and next drive I get lift.
Example 3: This is the most subjective, but tends to be a pattern around 50% of the time, if I'm driving on a freeway, and then come off for local roads and hit a stop light I'll sometimes get lift.

All in all, very inconclusive. I'm chalking this up to the car knows what it's doing and I'm going to stop overthinking it. I'm half inclined to have the detailed suspension screen settings on display so I can see exactly what is being adjusted and by how much height, but given the lift is such an unpredictable occurrence, I'm not sure I'll remember to do it.

I noticed some new suspension behavior after the last update. My car is set to always low and I have the advanced settings set to comfort. When encountering a rough section of highway, I now briefly see a message that says “raising suspension to improve ride comfort”. I never noticed that previously.

Reactions: Josephponline
I've been trying to baseline this over the last few weeks with no joy. The only consistency I've been able to observe (albeit still subjective observations) is that if I change the "weight" in the car from one driving session to the next, I'll generally reliably get a front suspension lift at my first stop light.

Example 1: Was driving with a passenger, parked the car overnight, and then drove first thing in the morning without a passenger, I get lift.
Example 2: Drove with my EMTB loaded on the hitch, took it off, and next drive I get lift.
Example 3: This is the most subjective, but tends to be a pattern around 50% of the time, if I'm driving on a freeway, and then come off for local roads and hit a stop light I'll sometimes get lift.

All in all, very inconclusive. I'm chalking this up to the car knows what it's doing and I'm going to stop overthinking it. I'm half inclined to have the detailed suspension screen settings on display so I can see exactly what is being adjusted and by how much height, but given the lift is such an unpredictable occurrence, I'm not sure I'll remember to do it.
Example 3 is definitely when I notice it.
I noticed some new suspension behavior after the last update. My car is set to always low and I have the advanced settings set to comfort. When encountering a rough section of highway, I now briefly see a message that says “raising suspension to improve ride comfort”. I never noticed that previously.
What software version are you on? I've never seen this message.

Reactions: Josephponline
This makes more sense - when I think about where it's adjusting, the road visibly ahead has either potholes and/or changes in surface, i.e. tarmac to concrete or vice-versa. Will definitely pay attention to this a bit more. I also have my settings on comfort. Question - where did you see the notification? On the suspension screen or somewhere else?

This makes more sense - when I think about where it's adjusting, the road visibly ahead has either potholes and/or changes in surface, i.e. tarmac to concrete or vice-versa. Will definitely pay attention to this a bit more. I also have my settings on comfort. Question - where did you see the notification? On the suspension screen or somewhere else?
In the cluster in front of the driver… at the bottom center where other alert messages pop up. It only shows very briefly. It was so quick the first couple of times that I didn’t have a chance to read it… only saw that some sort of alert popped up.

I’ll venture a guess that this is the build that moved to “Tesla vision” and its analyzing the road ahead visually

I can't remember if it's always been like this, or if this is some new behavior, but I noticed recently the car raising or lowering at stop lights more frequently than I thought in the past (but I all really not sure). At first I thought it must be going back to standard after higher speeds where it auto lowers to low (say after a freeway exit), but after watching closely it's adjusting even when that is not the case. It seems like it adjusts at least once per in City drive. I tried looking at the suspension data screen but nothing stands out obvious there.

What have you guys seen with your MX? (I have a 2020 Performance). I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal or if it means I have a subtle air leak.
Seems to be more frequent with 12.xx update.

I just posted this on the Model S section since I saw the same message tonight: “Raising Suspension to improve ride comfort.”

I downloaded 2021.12.25.7 last night. I don’t think this is a coincidence and that it’s related to the new software. Never saw this message before tonight.

I am also noticing both of these behaviors. I've been noticing the suspension randomly raising at stops for several weeks, and last night I got the suspension raising message even though the road was relatively smooth. Also, I was not able to override the suspension setting back to low. It returned to low after a couple of freeway changes.