Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How old are oldest Roadsters and how much battery capacity loss in % they experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys
Trying to gauge the life expectancy of a Tesla battery. I have a 2012 S85 with 57k miles and i have seen about 5% degradation over 3 years.

I am wondering how old is the oldest roadster?

What capacity degradation do these older roadsters experience with mileage/time?

If you don't feel like claculation the % degradation just mention how many rated miles at 90% or 100% and at what age?

Thanks.
If a thread exists on this subject, please point it out.

Guys
Trying to gauge the life expectancy of a Tesla battery. I have a 2012 S85 with 57k miles and i have seen about 5% degradation over 3 years.

I am wondering how old is the oldest roadster?

What capacity degradation do these older roadsters experience with mileage/time?

If you don't feel like claculation the % degradation just mention how many rated miles at 90% or 100% and at what age?

Thanks.
If a thread exists on this subject, please point it out.

This is not an equal comparison. For one, your talking about a 53 kw pack vs an 85 kw pack. Larger kw typically means less stress on each individual cell. Second, there are charging variables, supercharging on the S where none on the Roadster. Lastly and most importantly they're running two different battery chemistries, so your data is not useful in terms of a side by side comparison to judge your Model-S's lifespan unless your just trying to make a generalization with Lithium Ion batteries.

You can also look at the Roadster survey if you're just curious about the Roadster side of things:

Plug In America Tesla Roadster Survey

Thanks guys for the links.

I was looking for a generalization. I was interested in the roadster because of the number of years they have been out.

I am also trying to figure out whether time has a greater effect on the battery than mileage (or charge cycles).

Thanks guys for the links.

I was looking for a generalization. I was interested in the roadster because of the number of years they have been out.

I am also trying to figure out whether time has a greater effect on the battery than mileage (or charge cycles).

Mileage and range mode charges as well as depth of discharge (low SOC) tend to be the usual characteristics that have the greatest wear that affect on the battery. Since the Model-S has better/updated chemistry and a larger capacity it should do quite a bit better than the original Roadster packs as you already see with yours.

How old are oldest roarsters and how much battery capacity loss in % they exp...

I am not sure what you mean by "a generalization". The Plug in America report will give you real data and should answer your questions. Battery age, vehicle mileage, and charge cycles all impact battery degradation. If you don't want to read the entire report, skip to the Conclusions section on page 14 of this PDF:
http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/tesla-roadster/PIA-Roadster-Battery-Study.pdf
As others have pointed out, you cannot compare the Roadster battery to the S/X battery, they are very different in multiple ways.

We just had my wife's Sig #40 in for annual and at 110V it range charged to 235. However, in range mode 240V/40A that's usually around 224 miles. In standard mode 240V/40A it's usually between 175-178...

CAC is 146.85.

We picked it up close to 2200 miles and it's closer to 19,000 miles now.