TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How old is my firmware?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by SpudLime, Jul 25, 2018.

1. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

#1 SpudLime, Jul 25, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2018
    sorry for noob question. I just picked up my new model S on Sunday. I looked at the firmware in the app and after searching it looks like it came with some pretty old firmware.

Why? Wouldn’t a brand new model S have the latest?

Should I try to call to get them to push the latest?

• Like x 1
  2. Patrick W

Patrick W Active Member

Welcome to the Tesla family.

What you describe is not unusual. One thing you'll quickly come to realize is that when any particular vehicle receives any particular update it s total mystery for anyone outside the Mothership. :)

So just sit back, enjoy the car and look forward to seeing the little yellow alarm clock icon popping up on your touchscreen saying you've received an update and it's ready to install.

3. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

Okay cool. I Won’t stress over it I guess.

I did wonder why so many people were complaining of the short AP nagging time. It’s about a minute before it blinks. So I’m
    Guessing it gets much shorter after this firmware version.

Still weird it doesn’t get flashed the latest firmware from the factory.

That’s like ordering a new PC from dell to have windows 10 and it comes with windows 7 with a free upgrade to 10.

4. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

8E8FF82E-4544-4206-BF2A-891D8EEAEB68.png @SpudLime u are several behind... 26.3 latest

• Informative x 1
  5. Shateam

Shateam Member

Yes, quite old. What’s the history of the car? I see you only have 560 miles. Did Tesla delivery it to you with that firmware version?

Forgot to mention, check your MCU as you could have an update waiting. Should be a little yellow clock icon at the top towards the right. It should be fairly obvious as you will be prompted to install every time you put the car in Park (provided an update is waiting for you).

P.S. not sure what the significance of the address in your app is but you may want to mask it.

6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:...OPs car looks new... if was built a month or so ago it would not get FW update unless at service or he can wait for mothership to push ...IMO he’s not missing anything ;) (ie more nags)

7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

First, there is no such thing as 2018.26.3. Good grief. It’s 2018.26. (Well, 2018.26.2 is coming out right now as we speak!). Please read carefully and ignore the hashcode seven digites at the end.

And I’m surprised that a new car did not get current firmware. Usually they get whatever the current one is. I assume your car was delivery by Tyson’s (Tyco)? Mine had the current firmware and they usually do, but I bet right now they are swamped with all the Model 3 deliveries and that was skipped.

If you really want the current version, you could call national support (the number on your touchscreen under the T) andsay you new car didn’t have current firmware upon delivery, etc. But as was mentioned, then you’ll get the increased nags and all that. Might want to leave well enough alone. :D

And welcome, neighbor!

• Informative x 1
  8. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

So I just got notification and downloaded 2018.26 3 yesterday and there are already 2 more current software updates? Why so many dinky updates?

• Like x 1
  9. croman

croman Active Member

In 2016 they never delivered cars with the latest firmware. If your car was sitting, the car is set to energy saving with always connected selected off.

• Informative x 1
  10. boaterva

They may have changed that in 2017 to stop all the calls to 'update me' the day after. :D And now of course they are buried in delivering 3's.

To clear this up, here are the releases for the S and X; there is no 24 "3" anything, the 3 is part of the irrelevant hashcode, as has been said several times:

2018.26 has been out for a while, 2018.26.2 seems to be a bug fix for it. 2018.26.1 is a Model 3 release only. We would be expecting 2018.28 last week, normally, but the thought is that major programming resources are working on version 9 (due in "August") and we may not see many/any more new features in version 8.1).

upload_2018-7-26_10-54-2.png

Here are the releases for the Model 3:
    upload_2018-7-26_10-55-13.png

• Helpful x 1
  11. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Little dinky updates usually means there's something wrong with the existing one, but not drastically wrong enough to halt the rollout.

Some of us think (both based off personal experience and based off what some service centers have said) that some MCU1 cars have started having the yellow screen border defect right after the 2018.26 update. (I'm one of them.) That might be something they're playing around with in this point release.

12. croman

croman Active Member

I got the yellow border way earlier. Its a screen hardware defect, not software.

13. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

Well my screen developed it over a 4 hour window where the main thing that changed is the software....

It’s surely a screen or backlight imperfection but those can be exacerbated too by software. I’ve been there, done that :)

14. boaterva

Huh... have we ever seen a resolution to this besides replacing it? If this is a weirdness from 2018.26, sure explains the rush for 2018.26.2 for S and X!

15. SpudLime

SpudLime Member

675DDBFD-C62D-46A5-BB7B-33B463631A13.jpeg Thanks everyone. Yep came from the factory with old firmware. Which is why I thought it was weird.

Coincidentally it got the update tonight.

Here is what it says now.

• Like x 4
    • Love x 2
  16. chillaban

chillaban Active Member

I dunno I’m sure this makes me a terrible person, but I’m gonna wait for a more exciting firmware I don’t have in order to bring this to my SC’s attention :D

• Like x 1
  17. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Your firmware is so old, George Washington used it to summon his horse at Valley Forge.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  18. buttershrimp

Your firmware is so old, the autopilot only worked when pushed down a hill.

• Funny x 2
  19. buttershrimp

Your firmware is so old, its vector maps covered all of Pangea, but only half of Gondwanaland...

• Funny x 3
  20. dark cloud

dark cloud Member

And then he complained when he had to "apply light pressure" to the horses head every 20 seconds...

• Funny x 4