Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How picky should I be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up my MY and due to some horror stories I read/watched I decided to download one of the checklists and go over it with a fine tooth comb. I have never done this (at this level) on any other new car as I just assumed they would work/be good to go on delivery. Luckily they seem to be getting better at delivering ready to go MY's and my shop specifically mentioned they have gotten better at looking at the cars before scheduling so there wasn't anything major wrong with the car. That being said we did find several minor issues when going over the car. These range from the front drivers side headlight being "slightly" out of alignment (we're talking sticking out by a few mm) to the frunk on the drivers side being set lower than on the passenger side (could be front d-side panel causing both issues?), and some very small (pin head size) pain chips on the front passengers side door near the edge where the front door meets the front panel. My questions is are these issues worth submitting to Tesla for repair at their body shop? I've hard there are long wait times and I'm not really interested in dropping my car off for a month to fix issues that I might not have even noticed had I not been looking so hard. I understand this is subjective as different people can live with different levels of imperfections but I'd like to hear other peoples stories/opinions on what they did or would do.

Thanks!

First post, first Tesla so take with a massive grain of salt.

I was to accept delivery today of my first Tesla, a Model Y. A local detail/PPF shop offers delivery service and I was glad I had another set of eyes with me. While I was prepared to accept some of the more minor clearcoat scratches or missing (small) paint chips under the frunk or hatch I eventually rejected delivery and am again waiting for my new car. I highly recommend a disinterested party on delivery inspection.

My advice would be don't take delivery in the first place if you're not happy with fit and finish at the dealer.

I just picked up my MY and due to some horror stories I read/watched I decided to download one of the checklists and go over it with a fine tooth comb. I have never done this (at this level) on any other new car as I just assumed they would work/be good to go on delivery. Luckily they seem to be getting better at delivering ready to go MY's and my shop specifically mentioned they have gotten better at looking at the cars before scheduling so there wasn't anything major wrong with the car. That being said we did find several minor issues when going over the car. These range from the front drivers side headlight being "slightly" out of alignment (we're talking sticking out by a few mm) to the frunk on the drivers side being set lower than on the passenger side (could be front d-side panel causing both issues?), and some very small (pin head size) pain chips on the front passengers side door near the edge where the front door meets the front panel. My questions is are these issues worth submitting to Tesla for repair at their body shop? I've hard there are long wait times and I'm not really interested in dropping my car off for a month to fix issues that I might not have even noticed had I not been looking so hard. I understand this is subjective as different people can live with different levels of imperfections but I'd like to hear other peoples stories/opinions on what they did or would do.

Thanks!

For minor issues, just document, then schedule service and attempt to get the car to your level of satisfaction. Honestly, I had some issues when I picked up my MY LR, but since then, while I have service scheduled to fix some panel gaps, most others were fixed on delivery day, and I've forgotten about the rest. Every time I get into this car, I am really just thrilled.

First post, first Tesla so take with a massive grain of salt.

I was to accept delivery today of my first Tesla, a Model Y. A local detail/PPF shop offers delivery service and I was glad I had another set of eyes with me. While I was prepared to accept some of the more minor clearcoat scratches or missing (small) paint chips under the frunk or hatch I eventually rejected delivery and am again waiting for my new car. I highly recommend a disinterested party on delivery inspection.

My advice would be don't take delivery in the first place if you're not happy with fit and finish at the dealer.

Do you mind sharing your VIN and build date?