Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How planted should front end feel with stock tires? 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 2,200 miles on my 85D with the stock Michelin MXM4 (245/45-19) at 45psi. The car does not feel as planted as I think it should. Tramlines quite a bit (imperviously so on narrow open steel deck bridges), wants to wander more so than my two ICE cars that have 245/45-17s (one RWD, one AWD) and feels loose and darty regardless of the steering setting. Comfort setting feels very non-linear like you are rolling over ball and while sport is better it just feels muddy, almost like bad bushings. Turn in does not instill confidence though the grip seems to be there once you get through the transition. Turning over a crowned roadway the wheel wants to snap back to center.

Probably not enough miles to really tell tire wear but seems like toe/camber are not right from the factory. Before making an appointment I was looking to get feedback from others.

My 85D feels absolutely glued to the pavement. I've taken it around sharp curves while heavily accelerating and it feels like I will fly out of the seat into the window before a wheel starts to slip. Not sure about yours, hope you get it figured out.

Ok I'm convinced, this is anything but glued to the road, setting up an appointment.

added feature, I've started noticing what I'll call a 'honk' sound sometimes when the suspension is going under compression quickly. Could just be bushings, started noticing it with humid weather and didn't notice it this afternoon with the humidity down.

ElectricBear - Just curious if your sticker says 45 psi or that was your decision. My 85D just hit 2K miles today and my sticker says 50 psi.
BTW, I used to live about 10 miles south of Doylestown, a bit off 413.

I'm a transplant from New England (well, about 14yrs ago) and love the area, just wish they would stop adding more homes.

It reads 45psi, something I checked because it does feel like over inflated tires and I was going to lower them to 45psi if they were at 50psi (double checked the sticker as well). Went into production on Earth Day, have not followed the threads to see if a reason was discovered for the discrepancy like the build date.