Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How practical are the Model S 3rd-row jump-seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have relatives visiting in July from abroad and there are four of them plus a toddler. The toddler's brothers are in their late teens but not particularly tall. Would they fit in the jump-seats or are they strictly for sub 10-year olds? The only way I see they will all fit, including me or my wife driving is if at least one of the teens goes in the back because the toddler will have to be strapped into a car-seat.

Edit: Does the car need to be specially modified for the jump-seats or can they temporarily fitted to any Model S? I read something about a safety bar?

Last edited:
teens will not fit in the back seat unless they are really short. The toddler could fit if they are the minimum weight requirement, cant remember if there is minimum height requirement. Typically it's not a temporary fit and would most likely need the rear bumper removed and installed to complete installation. I don't think Service Center will do this anymore.

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse
Can't remember if the jump seats are factory-fit only (reasonably sure that retro-fit is possible), but its significant because the whole back cross-beam has to be replaced with something stronger for rear-impact protection.

You lose a lot of boot space too (when seats folded down and not in use), it isn;t a "pop it in for the weekend" (even once the car has been suitably configured the first time) option AFAIK

For EV owners who have edge-cases (range particularly) hiring an ICE is one option.

• Helpful
Reactions: vitesse