Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How private is roof glass for camping?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a Model 3 on order that I'm picking up in a couple of weeks, and intending to try camping mode in it. I have the Tesmat Privacy Screen on order (I hope! They took my money for it 2 weeks ago, but it still doesn't seem to have been dispatched... šŸ¤”) which should stop people looking in the windows at me as I sleep, but I'm trying to decide what to do about the roof.

From reading threads on here, it sounds like people think the privacy tint on the roof does a good enough job of stopping people looking in. But I just wanted to double check that's true with owners? Does it really prevent people seeing there's someone sleeping inside the car if they're stood next to the car? If so, is that true in all lighting conditions (so, daylight and at night, parked in a dark place and parked under street lights, etc.)?

I'm just paranoid that I'll awake to find a bunch of people gathered around my car, peering in through the roof trying to work out if there's a dead body in there or not šŸ˜‚ If that's a likely scenario, I guess I'll invest in some shades for the roof as well.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I've got a Model 3 on order that I'm picking up in a couple of weeks, and intending to try camping mode in it. I have the Tesmat Privacy Screen on order (I hope! They took my money for it 2 weeks ago, but it still doesn't seem to have been dispatched... šŸ¤”) which should stop people looking in the windows at me as I sleep, but I'm trying to decide what to do about the roof.

From reading threads on here, it sounds like people think the privacy tint on the roof does a good enough job of stopping people looking in. But I just wanted to double check that's true with owners? Does it really prevent people seeing there's someone sleeping inside the car if they're stood next to the car? If so, is that true in all lighting conditions (so, daylight and at night, parked in a dark place and parked under street lights, etc.)?

I'm just paranoid that I'll awake to find a bunch of people gathered around my car, peering in through the roof trying to work out if there's a dead body in there or not šŸ˜‚ If that's a likely scenario, I guess I'll invest in some shades for the roof as well.
What you planning on doing in there? :cool:

What you planning on doing in there? :cool:
You can get to Onlyfans through the browser on the big screen rightā€¦? šŸ˜

No, well, I suppose mostly Iā€™m thinking about what if I slept in it on a street lit residential street at some point. Is literally everyone who walks by the car going to think ā€œoh look, that man that I can see perfectly clearly is asleep in there?ā€ Haha Maybe camping mode is only useful for camping in the wilderness rather than urban areas?

You can get to Onlyfans through the browser on the big screen rightā€¦? šŸ˜

No, well, I suppose mostly Iā€™m thinking about what if I slept in it on a street lit residential street at some point. Is literally everyone who walks by the car going to think ā€œoh look, that man that I can see perfectly clearly is asleep in there?ā€ Haha Maybe camping mode is only useful for camping in the wilderness rather than urban areas?
A lot depends on if you've tinted your windows. Tint really makes it harder to see in the car.

But if you're sleeping on a lit residential street you're going to need something to block the light!!!!

The inexpensive solution:
Go to Home Depot and buy a $40 4'x25' roll of reflectix. It's basically shiny bubble wrap. Cut it to fit the windows and roof. Go to a fabric store and get some black fabric. You want to cover one side of the reflectix with black fabric so its not obvious that the windows are covered. You can use suction cups to attach the roof parts, the window pieces should just jam into their spaces.

The expensive solution. Go to evannex.com and buy their sunshades in gold/black. A kit that covers every pane of glass is like $269.

A lot depends on if you've tinted your windows. Tint really makes it harder to see in the car.

But if you're sleeping on a lit residential street you're going to need something to block the light!!!!

The inexpensive solution:
Go to Home Depot and buy a $40 4'x25' roll of reflectix. It's basically shiny bubble wrap. Cut it to fit the windows and roof. Go to a fabric store and get some black fabric. You want to cover one side of the reflectix with black fabric so its not obvious that the windows are covered. You can use suction cups to attach the roof parts, the window pieces should just jam into their spaces.

The expensive solution. Go to evannex.com and buy their sunshades in gold/black. A kit that covers every pane of glass is like $269.
Iā€™m hopefully getting the Tesmat privacy screen for the windows, EDIT but am getting a bit concerned about that as they havenā€™t dispatched it weeks after taking my money, and arenā€™t responding to my emails šŸ˜• Hopefully they havenā€™t gone out of business or somethingā€¦ just had a nice email from a chap named George at Tesmat who reassures me that all is well with my order, so feeling happier about that now /EDIT

I donā€™t believe they are going to be thick enough to block out the light of street lights anyway though, so my plan is simply to use an eye mask for that! I used to work night shifts so Iā€™m used to sleeping with an eye mask on.

So my concern is less about light getting in, and more about how clearly people will be able to see me through the roof specifically.

Last edited:
Iā€™ve done plenty of car camping in my Model 3. Nobody is going to see you through the roof glass, but you might find that outside lights are annoying at night, as is sunshine during the day.

I run the full set of Heatherā€™s Heat Shield sun shades when car camping. I have the gold/black set. The gold side is great for keeping heat out and the black side is great for being stealthy. The heat shield is also a great insulator, reducing HVAC energy consumption.

Reactions: AutomaticMan