Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How quickly does your screen dim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In all of my other cars I've had, when I drive under a bridge or through a dark tunnel, the screens instantly switch to night mode and the headlights come on. In my Model X, I have to be in the dark for quite some time before the car figures out (if it ever figures out) that it's dark. The screen can be blinding and very distracting in these cases. The screen also stays at full Day Mode brightness on dark, cloudy, rainy days. I frequently have to manually change the screen settings to Night Mode.

Does anyone else experience this problem? Want to make sure my problem is an aberration before wasting my time going to the Service Center.

I should note that my windshield is clean, so there's no dirt obstructing the sensor. (And even if there was dirt obstructing the sensor, that should mean the car would always be in Night Mode because the sensor would think it's dark out. No good explanation for why it's so hard to get the car to switch out of Day Mode.)

I should also note that when it's actually nighttime (i.e., past sunset), Night Mode is generally very reliably on.

Does anyone else experience this problem?

It's been a problem for three years with me. I've taken to using screen cleaning mode when entering a tunnel, etc. and I have this page bookmarked, and I use the scroll wheel to dim it.

On a dark highway at night the screens are still far too bring for me, even when dimmed right down. I wish the dim setting went all the way to black but at the very least it should go much darker.

I had a similiar issue until I put the screen brightness on my right thumbwheel.

Not it is totally under control, and I can make it brighter or dimmer in an instant.

Like it pretty dim for cruising, especially at night, but like to bring up the brightness momentairly to check out something, then back to dim.

• Helpful
Reactions: Altes
But having Display Brightness on the right thumbwheel doesn't give me the ability to switch the mode from Day to Night; it's only able to adjust the dimming in the current mode. And the 0% brightness in Day mode is much brighter than 0% in Night mode.

My problem is not that the screen is too bright at night when in Night mode, but rather that the car doesn't switch to Night mode when it should (in dark tunnels, in parking garages, on dark cloudy days, or at dusk/dawn).

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
But having Display Brightness on the right thumbwheel doesn't give me the ability to switch the mode from Day to Night; it's only able to adjust the dimming in the current mode. And the 0% brightness in Day mode is much brighter than 0% in Night mode.

My problem is not that the screen is too bright at night when in Night mode, but rather that the car doesn't switch to Night mode when it should (in dark tunnels, in parking garages, on dark cloudy days, or at dusk/dawn).

Yeah, the lights will come on in dark spots/garages/tunnels but screen will not switch. The screen actually seems to use your local time and tries to determine sunrise/sunset instead - kind of annoying as it'll stay in day mode in a dark garage if your there during the day.

Reactions: Johann Koeber
I've observed that the screen switches between day/night mode at pretty much the same times that my Garmin Nuvi GPS did in the previous car - namely on calculated sunrise/sunset times for your locale (as far as a GPS is concerned, the sun is just like another satellite and it already has to figure out when the other ones pass below/above the horizon).

It seldom bothers me but a quick touch on the right thumbwheel (seemed to be set to brightness by default; had not realized there may be other options - I usually hit it by accident) adjusts it. Original "night mode" was a bit too dark for city driving anyway.

Coming back to this old thread, as I can't believe we still don't have this feature. I drive through the damn tunnel every day to work and am screwing with setting the screen to night mode.