Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How quiet is the Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an LS460L and LS430 prior to owning model S. When driving at a slow speed such as 30 miles/hour the model S is much quieter due to no engine noise. But when I get to the freeway speed, my model S is not as quiet as my LS406L. I hear more wind noise and road noise as well as hear car approaching from next lane. I don't think the Model S has as much insulation as the LS460L. In my LS460L I don't hear car approaching me on the next lane but with the Model S, I can hear when a car pull up next to me on the freeway. My Model S was delivered in Feb of 2016.
I like some feedback if anyone owns an LS460 that way I know if I should bring this up to SC next time I"m there.

No, Tesla is no quieter car at all compare to other high end car
I am very sensitive to noise. I used to owned 91 LS400, 98 S420, S600, 98 BMW 750il, 740iL, and 2007 750LI
I once tear down my 2001 BMW 740iL and use "quiet car paint" on door panel, floor, hook cover, wheel well...

the car make me remember is 2007 750Li, it did drive like a dream on free way. so quiet

I currently own MS 70. I choice the option base one quietness:
I drop the D, as the front motor produce noise
I add air-suspension, it did make the car quieter,
I drop the roof, as I believe it will introduce more wind noise

there are three major noise source, let us compare them against 2007 BMW 750LI

engine noise: MS win
wind noise: BMW win
road noise: BMW win

the MS, is very poor on insulating the noise from tire, wind noise is al sod bad

Imo it depends where you are looking for quiet. While accelerating you won't find a quitter car, as long as it's rwd. If your picky, and likely depending on your age (hearing of certain frequencies), you'll hear the whine of the front motor.

Highway cruising is quiet, quieter without pano roof.

Not the quietest car at highway speed, but certainly in the top 5 most will ever drive.

Background noise is everywhere. For example, photos taken in low light have fuzzy haze in the darker places. This is electrical noise. It is very low-level, but is amplified when the camera tries to eke as much signal out of the sensor as possible in low-light situations. This base noise level cannot be avoided in any system; noise is everywhere. The base level of noise in the Model S could be due to nearby rail traffic, wind, just about anything, really.

Or the breathing of the person taking the measurement when you get to really low levels....

I owned a 2013 Lexus GS Fsport and 2014 BMW 5 before Model S. I think in most everyday driving, MS is just about equal in quietness. In local driving, of course it's quieter on acceleration, but otherwise while cruising, not really that much difference. On highway, Tesla has some road and wind noise that you won't hear in the Lexus. I think Tesla wins on driving dynamics under everyday driving condition, but really doesn't win on noise. Basically I would say on overall noise while driving, Model S is a draw with my previous cars. I think an equiv Merc or a non Fsport GS or a Lexus ES would be quieter; and higher German luxury cars (Merc S, BMW 7, etc) would definitely be quieter. To be honest, you don't really heard any engine noise from these kinds of cars at cruising speeds; wind and road noise dominate and traditional car makers, especially those focusing on luxury, do a really good job at reducing those noises.

The noise that matters most is the road noise heard on coarser roads. Most cars today are quiet on smooth asphalt. That said, the MS definitely transmits more road noise than the current gen Mercedes S and BMW 7 on coarse roads. I've driven all 3 cars on the same coarse section of highway multiple times to come up with this conclusion.