TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How real are is eos (grid storage)?

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by daniel Ox9EFD, May 25, 2015.

1. daniel Ox9EFD

daniel Ox9EFD Member

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#2 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Power density and efficiency suck?

75% efficiency is terrible.
    No mention of the actual power density, which has also been a fundamental problem of air batteries.

Also note that they don't actually give the energy density, they just say "4 33ft NEMA containers". Anyone care to do the math on 1MWh in a 33ft NEMA container?

And dod is?

"Today's batteries, such as lead-acid and lithium ion rely on rare earth metals..." yer what?

Add it to a growing list of battery ... er ... bluster (and I include Tesla in that).

3. daniel Ox9EFD

daniel Ox9EFD Member

#3 daniel Ox9EFD, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015
    Ok,
    Could there be a simple way to adjust the price to better compare to Tesla's $250/kWh, 90-something% efficiency?
    250/.92 = 270, 160/.75 = 213.
    I'd guess it's more complicated than that, but is there some simple way to show an 'effective' price?

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.eosenergystorage.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Eos-Public-Presentation-2013-02-11.pdf

Price per Power (edit) is $1000/kW. For Tesla from my understanding it is $500/kW. So there is a difference. Not sure what is the significance.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

OK, so poor power density as expected. So, value comes with storage capacity. But then that 75% efficiency is a downer, because that's adding 1/3 to the cost of the stored electricity, while a 92% efficiency adds 2/23.