Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How realistic is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am considering a new Roadster to replace my '99 Gwagen SWB. I drive into NYC from Irvington, NY every day. It is a 60 mile round trip. I see snow and ice and sit in bumper to bumper traffic every day with a max top speed of 70 mph but an average of 13.2 mph year round. Any thoughts on the following:

Range issues
AC in a 98 degree day in two hours of bumper to bumper traffic
Snow and ice

Finally I am 6'2" and old (over 50) and like to be coddled. A Porsche 911 was too loud and rough on my fragile body. I am looking for quiet and comfort. And I would love not to burn any gas.

Thoughts. Am I nuts?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.

Can't speak on the range issues, but I'm 6'3" and found the interior very uncomfortable, as did my gf who is 6'2" (but weighs a lot less than me). I just felt tight and constrained. That's not to say you couldn't get it comfortable with some toying with the seats and such though.

I am considering a new Roadster to replace my '99 Gwagen SWB. I drive into NYC from Irvington, NY every day. It is a 60 mile round trip. I see snow and ice and sit in bumper to bumper traffic every day with a max top speed of 70 mph but an average of 13.2 mph year round. Any thoughts on the following:

Range issues
AC in a 98 degree day in two hours of bumper to bumper traffic
Snow and ice

I'm just up the road from you and drive mine to work every day. My commute is shorted but I drive all around Westchester and to CT (Norwalk, Westport which is about as far as you go). The range won't be an issue at all. Plugging the car in overnight is extremely easy. The AC isn't great but will definitely keep you from being hot (as I experienced stuck on the Tappan Zee bridge this weekend). Being stuck in traffic and not having to continuously change gears is a real treat. I can't speak to the winter as I just got mine in March but I also plan on driving mine throughout winter. One thing I will point out is that some of the roads around here, especially 287, are extremely unsmooth with various potholes and bumps. Over time you'll name all the bumps on your commute and it won't be an issue but its a little jarring at first. Lastly, I'm 5'9" and fit comfortably in the car but after 5 months I still haven't mastered the art of getting out :) Go down to NYC and test drive it a few times and practice getting in and out to make sure you will be comfortable. But I say go for it!

Thank you all for your insights. I will be test driving one this Thursday. How comfortable can you make the vehicle with the adjustable suspension. I would like to wait for the S but honestly I do not think the wait will be less than 3 years and that is a long time to nurse my Gwagen. In addition there is no reason not to get an S also. How is the NYC dealer to work with? I am very interested in those who have snow experience with this vehicle because as was noted by User497 our roads in Westchester in addition to being in poor states of repair also get smacked with a boatload of snow and ice. What snow tires do people use? I usually keep my snows on the G year round because they are soft and make for a better ride. I do not mind replacing them every 22K. Thanks again for the thoughtful responses.

I would like to wait for the S but honestly I do not think the wait will be less than 3 years and that is a long time to nurse my Gwagen.

It will easily be less than that. The Model S has had a design freeze (meaning they're done with it), and most of their sourcing has been completed (if not all by now). They've got their manufacturing site, have purchased at least some of the factory equipment, and still have plenty of money to disburse from their DOE loan. Not to mention that they know that the S needs to come out as soon as possible so Tesla can start making a profit.

Every indication is that they're still on target for somewhere between late 2011 to early/mid 2012. This has been a fairly consistent target since the S became officially unveiled in 2009. I can assure you that you won't be waiting 3 years.

There are a few seat options now too. The 2.5 has the most padding but some do not like the side bolsters. I also noticed that they sit taller than the stock seats. An important note for those tall in the waist.

Two other tall driver notes. Get a Micro Mirror from Sector 111 and remove the sun visors.

There are a few seat options now too. The 2.5 has the most padding but some do not like the side bolsters. I also noticed that they sit taller than the stock seats. An important note for those tall in the waist.

Two other tall driver notes. Get a Micro Mirror from Sector 111 and remove the sun visors.

My 2.0 was built just before the 2.5 release, but actually has many of the 2.5 features including the new seats. I strongly prefer them, and I like the new side bolsters.

I'll second the motion on removing the sun visors - totally useless and highly annoying at a stop light (and I'm only 5' 10"). I also ordered a Micro Mirror yesterday -- the stock mirror is a significant problem for forward-right visibility.

Doug

So I still have a couple of questions regarding driving in the winter. How is it? And what tires are available? NYC store has a snow package and I can not see what tires they are using? Sorry for all the questions but if I can not drive in an inch or two of snow then it will be a nonstarter. Not looking to drive through a blizzard or a foot of fresh powder but it can snow a bunch during the day in NYC and I can have to drive in a couple of inches in between snow plows. TIA.

I live in a city as well, and drove all winter in the Tesla last year, with the Sport tires no less. Never skidded once or got stuck (never parked outside though in snow). I found the low center of gravity and weight made for a nice, safe drive. This year I am going to get the "suggested" winter tires, but I have no idea what exactly those are until they send me a quote this week.

That is great info and I really appreciate it coming from someone living in Chicago. As your weather is similar to what I get that is a really terrific endorsement. Tomorrow I see if I will fit into it. There has been some discussion about reduced range in snow. How was the heater in the cold?

An acquaintance of mine recently claimed that road salt alternatives used in some jurisdictions can corrode aluminum. Of course the Roadster has an aluminum frame, and the Model S will be built largely of aluminum.

That said, a modest effort at Googling did not provide any evidence to support this claim. Does anyone out there have information on this?

I'll second the motion on removing the sun visors - totally useless and highly annoying at a stop light (and I'm only 5' 10"). I also ordered a Micro Mirror yesterday -- the stock mirror is a significant problem for forward-right visibility.

Doug

I had heard of people removing the sun visors but they are so small that I never bothered. But after reading this thread, I decided to go for it and it DOES make a difference :) I used to stop a little in front of the light so it was never a big hassle but I now third the removal of the visors. I still don't find the need to replace the rear mirror though. I never really need to worry about airplanes landing from the top right...

I'll restate the mirror size problem is in direct relation to how tall you sit in the seat. If you eyes are up high the stock mirror blocks roads, cars and pedestrians.

One Tesla owner is 6'5". He just removed the mirror all together.