Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How reliable is model x?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not too long ago I rented a Model X that had accumulated >90000km in rental service. The car was indistinguishable from a new one, enough so that my SO asked how we were so lucky to get a brand new car as a rental. In our 5,000km trip there were zero problems. I have driven several Model X on similar trips and never encountered a problem. Problems do exist, especially on the oldest ones.

on this case the OP describes a highly unlikely sequence and has a vague description of purported problems. That smells of deception to me.

We have an August 2017 X 100D. Only issue we've had is one of the third road seats would not go back up. First time, they tightened a bolt to fix it (a couple hours at the service center). Second time, they replaced the whole electronic latch assembly. Left it overnight.

May 2017 Model X. After 2 years, I had to get the front windshield replaced under warranty because of a stress fracture. Was done in my work parking lot. That's it for 3 years and 30000 miles. And next service I might have the yellow border around the display fixed. But that's purely cosmetic.

June 2017 Model X. Have not had a single problem. Even had the 2 annual maintenance services and they adjusted things I didn't even notice (one if the charge port leds was off color so they replaced the whole thing).

Like every manufacture sometimes there are errors.

Interesting how your phrased your question.
My 2 Xs have been very reliable. Some owners will have even more reliable cars than mine and others may have less reliable cars than mine.

Like with all cars from different manufacturers, some will be perfect and others lemons. Most will be in between.

Interesting how your phrased your question.
My 2 Xs have been very reliable. Some owners will have even more reliable cars than mine and others may have less reliable cars than mine.

Like with all cars from different manufacturers, some will be perfect and others lemons. Most will be in between.

Since I had bad service experience and a broken charger in the first month. I just wanted to get a general idea on how the community's experience is.

Hard to get a general idea, as reports are all over the place. Few will come on a forum and post that they just finished a long road trip and everything went well, but if someone has an issue, this is the place they will come to vent.

Model X is the most complicated vehicle Tesla makes. It is aluminum intensive in frame and body. It has the largest glass windshield and panels, it tows the most (5,000 lbs) weighs the most. Has the most sophisticated adaptable air suspension and computerized anti-sway for trailers. The Falcon Wing doors are perhaps the most complex in the industry. It has the largest choices of seating configurations and is produced in relatively limited quantities. Considering all this it is amazing that it does not have even more issues that we see reported.

Tesla has a "no chit chat" policy. It is difficult to get someone on the phone to talk out your issues. Mostly you need to file a service request and wait for them to get back to you. They will either make a service appointment, send out a mobile Ranger, do some remote diagnostics or repairs via OTA system. Many have reported that Tesla has done even more services than they brought the car in. If the computer indicated something needs addressing they will attend to it when your car is in their shop. Sometimes they will tell you it is a known issue and there is not a current solution, or even sometimes go totally radio silence, leaving you fuming.

Many have posted that their service centers are totally amazing. That they got everthing fixed on the first go, and gave them a great Tesla loaner while in the shop. Others get Uber credits, say parts are back ordered or suggest you phone a friend to come pick you up.

With so many reports, all over the place it is a challenge to get a general idea. More often it comes down to specifically what your issue is and the luck of the draw.

Easy going people tend to be pretty happy with their services, but picky people or those with very high expectations often feel put out.

I guess, I can live with it if they just improve the service. My service issues would have been fixed in a week, if they actually talked to me on the issues come to an agreement before they do it. It took 4 weeks just because of the lack of communication.

Other than that, the car is awesome. I only had it for a month and now the service center gave me a loaner MS and it feels weird to sit in it. I don't think I ll be able to drive any other car than MX now. Just the service needs improvement.

I'm a bit over 60k miles in the last couple of years. I've had both from door actuators replaced (they came to my work and did it). I got the yellow border thing (they fixed that at my house). I think one of the fairing things got loose once. My wife dealt with that. I just recently took it in for a new 12V battery and hepa filter swapout. I also replaced the tires a while back.

I think I'm overdue for an oil change, though.

Hard to get a general idea, as reports are all over the place. Few will come on a forum and post that they just finished a long road trip and everything went well, but if someone has an issue, this is the place they will come to vent.

Model X is the most complicated vehicle Tesla makes. It is aluminum intensive in frame and body. It has the largest glass windshield and panels, it tows the most (5,000 lbs) weighs the most. Has the most sophisticated adaptable air suspension and computerized anti-sway for trailers. The Falcon Wing doors are perhaps the most complex in the industry. It has the largest choices of seating configurations and is produced in relatively limited quantities. Considering all this it is amazing that it does not have even more issues that we see reported.

Tesla has a "no chit chat" policy. It is difficult to get someone on the phone to talk out your issues. Mostly you need to file a service request and wait for them to get back to you. They will either make a service appointment, send out a mobile Ranger, do some remote diagnostics or repairs via OTA system. Many have reported that Tesla has done even more services than they brought the car in. If the computer indicated something needs addressing they will attend to it when your car is in their shop. Sometimes they will tell you it is a known issue and there is not a current solution, or even sometimes go totally radio silence, leaving you fuming.

Many have posted that their service centers are totally amazing. That they got everthing fixed on the first go, and gave them a great Tesla loaner while in the shop. Others get Uber credits, say parts are back ordered or suggest you phone a friend to come pick you up.

With so many reports, all over the place it is a challenge to get a general idea. More often it comes down to specifically what your issue is and the luck of the draw.

Easy going people tend to be pretty happy with their services, but picky people or those with very high expectations often feel put out.

You have that right, the X is really complex. We have a September 2017 build with almost 30k miles on the clock. The only issue has been the actuator for the drive's door and it was replaced by mobile service in our garage. As for comfort and driving enjoyment, it is unmatched. Seeing the country through that windshield is absolutely wonderful. For all the pros and cons of the FWDs, they do suite our needs. Very glad we have an X.