Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How reliable is Spotify these days?

How reliable is Spotify these days?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to have a Model S for 3 years until a couple of years ago and throughout that time Spotify would lose the account and was very buggy, how is it these days as I consider buying a Model 3?

I think there are varying degrees of what someone might consider reliable. For example as the driver I set the playlist and it plays and everything seems reliable. As the passenger, I can hear the playlist is playing but sometimes the UI doesn't actually match the song that's playing (it lags behind, or is just completely wrong).

If you share a playlist with a spouse when a new song is added to the playlist it takes ages for it to show up in the Spotify app in the car. You have to do a random combination of switch playlists, signing in/out or just give you and ask your passenger to use your phone to select the song instead.

From my perspective, it works but could be better.

Same as @Hairyman , premium Spotify account works well. No obvious issues. Particularly like how the auto created "Your Daily Drive" playlist includes up to date ABC news snippets & other stuff of individual interest. In my case the Betoota advocate news :)
Also @benflux, going off thread and probably obvious, but since you had your S they have added Tunein streaming radio which I use a lot for radios stations and podcasts. I find it a much more workable than the FM & DAB stations. I know others love DAB, but I find it frustrating as it is forever dropping reception because I drive about regionally and don't stick to one suburb. With Tunein & Spotify so long as you have a data connect it is rock solid.

I find the overall media system interface on the model 3 to be a bit too busy and non intuitive at times. It is slowly getting better though.

Reactions: Hairyman
It has improved quite a bit since you had your S. Not everything has... But for me the big change was when I had my cars updated to MCU2. Spotify is very solid and voice searches for music are are very quick.

I’m a new M3LR owner. Once I received 2021.4.18.10 I’ve noticed that once every couple of days Spotify will not start streaming. Each time I’ll just restart the UI (two button reset) and it comes back. Still buggy for me.
Might try a logout and login next time to see if that resets things.

I would find that extremely frustrating, have you reported to Tesla?
I don't want to bring your Tesla optimism down but this crap has been going on for years with Tesla, reporting the problem is pointless. I mean they screwed up something as simple as displaying album art on the USB player about 10 months ago, still not fixed and they are well aware of it.

Operational failures (like the MCU locking up in the S & X) has been happening for a long time, except finally they turned around and told us that the only solution is to update to the newer MCU. That is like buying a new computer and 6 months on when Microsoft (or Apple) have been pushing out updates that make it run terrible, they tell you your computer is old and you need to buy a new one.

Reactions: dyde
I’m a new M3LR owner. Once I received 2021.4.18.10 I’ve noticed that once every couple of days Spotify will not start streaming. Each time I’ll just restart the UI (two button reset) and it comes back. Still buggy for me.
This could be related to your LTE connection. I find that sometimes Spotify can take 5 or 10 minutes to start streaming when I start a drive from deep sleep. I can speed things by doing the double button reset. But generally I just wait or switch to another media source for few minutes. I had just put this down to the car taking a while to establish a decent cellular data connection.

This could be related to your LTE connection. I find that sometimes Spotify can take 5 or 10 minutes to start streaming when I start a drive from deep sleep. I can speed things by doing the double button reset. But generally I just wait or switch to another media source for few minutes. I had just put this down to the car taking a while to establish a decent cellular data connection.
I'll try and be more patient next time it happens :) Will try the switching sources thing and see if that helps. It may be a spotify thing, because it just stopped on me randomly while working on the computer.

When comparing my Spotify experience from 2017/2018 to today, it’s night and day. I still remember how frustrating it was and the embarrassment when showing off the car (freezing/sync issues etc). It’s naturally sluggish on my MCU1 and demands a good data signal, but it’s functional enough for me. I also use the Tesla account rather than my own because of the earlier experience - I haven’t tried logging in since.

Reactions: meloccom