Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How reliable is the 3 key app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, hat happens if you get logged out (as just happened to us) and cant conveniently log in again, ie signal, servers or underground car park?

Or the login server is down, then you have to use your key card. That's why you really should carry your key card with you in the wallet. I never had to use it other than for valet and for adding a new phone as key.

1. Reading though the 3’s manual it would appear that no internet connection is required between the phone key and the car, just a Bluetooth connection. If this is the case why would it ever fail?
  2. If using the keycard must it sit on the centre console at all times? If so doesn’t it get left in the car accidentally?
  3. I have a spare S key fob. When I get my 3 could I get Tesla to re-program the S key for the 3?

It was 99.9 % reliable for me. But ALWAYS have your key card as backup.
You could drop your phone, forget to charge etc. and you're screwed.

It worked great and I wish my X had it. One of the very few things I miss on the 3 vs X.

1. Reading though the 3’s manual it would appear that no internet connection is required between the phone key and the car, just a Bluetooth connection. If this is the case why would it ever fail?
  2. If using the keycard must it sit on the centre console at all times? If so doesn’t it get left in the car accidentally?
  3. I have a spare S key fob. When I get my 3 could I get Tesla to re-program the S key for the 3?

Key card only needs to be on console to start the car, after that you can put it back in your wallet or where ever you keep it.

I don't think S/X FOB is compatible with 3 (different item in the store). I think the 3 FOB is still Bluetooth LE (it's basically doing what the phone does).