Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How reliable is the energy data in the Tesla app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a system that consists of non-Tesla solar panels and Powerwalls, which became operational 4 weeks ago. Everything was installed by a third-party Tesla certified installer. Everything had been working well, but once in a while I see irregularities in the energy data displayed by the Tesla app, and I wonder if I should trust the data in those cases.

For example, last night all my home’s power was being provided by the Powerwalls. At around 2am, the data showed the power source switching to the grid briefly and then back to the Powerwalls. There was no spike in energy usage and the Powerwalls had more than enough power. That brief grid usage was the only time the grid was supplying power during the night.

Is the data reliable? If so, what could cause that brief interruption in Powerwall discharge? The downloaded data is consistent with what the app shows.

Is there a way to confirm that from the app?
You don't get any notification of software updates. You can find the version at the bottom of the gateway screen but you have to remember the version information yourself. If you see a new version number, it was upgraded!
tempFileForShare_20210902-082230.jpg

In my experience the data reported on my Tesla App is off 10% where it's constantly overstating energy. This includes both the measured solar generation; net energy exported/imported to the Grid; and household consumption.

For a day where my Enphase Envoy reports that I generated 50 kWh of solar... the Tesla app will say solar generation is 55 kWh.

For the Jun/Jul billing period, my PG&E bill and Greenbutton say I had a net 280 kWh exported to the Grid. But the Tesla app says a net of 295 kWh was exported.

For household total consumption, I put some Emporia Vue contraptions on my load centers. They will measure daily household energy use to be 10% lower than what Tesla claims was consumed in the home.

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum as Tesla shut down the forums where you could discuss Tesla roof. We have a Tesla roof and two powerwalls. FWIW the data in the Tesla app seems consistent with what we see on our meters. The new (v 4.0) app seems buggy - often a couple of hours behind reality. Interestingly, the app now doesn't show power into the Powerwalls as it used to, only power out. So it'll be much harder to gauge the efficiency of the Powerwalls (Tesla claims 90% round trip - 10 kWh in yields 9 kWh out - but in 8 months we're seeing a little shy of 85%). They made the graphics fancier (and harder to understand) but still can't select a date or date range (you have to page back day-by-day) or provide a useful data download. Just saying.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum as Tesla shut down the forums where you could discuss Tesla roof. We have a Tesla roof and two powerwalls. FWIW the data in the Tesla app seems consistent with what we see on our meters. The new (v 4.0) app seems buggy - often a couple of hours behind reality. Interestingly, the app now doesn't show power into the Powerwalls as it used to, only power out. So it'll be much harder to gauge the efficiency of the Powerwalls (Tesla claims 90% round trip - 10 kWh in yields 9 kWh out - but in 8 months we're seeing a little shy of 85%). They made the graphics fancier (and harder to understand) but still can't select a date or date range (you have to page back day-by-day) or provide a useful data download. Just saying.
On the new display Energy screens, you can pull down the graph (and below) like a rubber band, and when you release it sometimes forces the system to update the display with the current data.

I still see power flow both in and out of the Powerwalls in the new app.
Me too. However, it does sometimes get hung momentarily or lags. Usually dragging down and releasing the Energy, Impact, Settings area below the graphic forces a refresh. But sometimes I need to close and reopen the app to get the latest values. This may be because I have an old iPad running the app 24/7.

I've long had a wide discrepancy between my solar production reported by the APsystems ECU and the Tesla app. I recently discovered if I go to the APsystems IP web page, different from the app web page, the IP page matches Tesla and I have two AP data sources conflicting with each other.