Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Satisfied Are You With Autopilot?

How Satisfied Are You With Autopilot?

• Very Unsatisfied

Votes: 18 7.2%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 8 3.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 16 6.4%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 80 32.1%
  • Very Satisfied

Votes: 127 51.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a few scary moments today when using autopilot on my way home.
It seems to work fine if you are driving on the highway *and* not on the exit lane.

The scary moments:

1. Engaged autopilot on the street and it somehow tried to cross over to another lane at low speed. I couldn't tell whether it was trying to center itself on the lane or it didn't see the markings on the road since the road was a bit curvy. Had to take over even though no car was on the other lane.

2. When merging into the highway, it seemed to drive more aggressively than I'd have liked. The car in front of me tried to merge even though there were still some distance before the merging lane ends. So it just zoomed past that car at highway speed to almost the end of the merging lane. It worked, but scary.

3. I was going southbound on 101 trying to get on CA87. The lane changing worked fine moving to the right-most lane to get on CA87. However, the lane splits into 3 lanes as soon as you get off 101. So the car sped up but then it jerked to the left (probably trying to stay close to the markings on the left). It looked as if it was going off the road at high speed. Very scary in this case and I took over soon after it jerked to the left.

Once I was on CA87 and stayed on the middle lane, it worked great so I can't really say that I'm unsatisfied.
But I also can't be satisfied if it's going to scare me multiple times in a single trip!!

I need more time before I vote. Tried it for the first time tonight right after the download. It scared the crap out of me a couple of times. But it generally worked very well. Some wandering in the lane and jerked into a left turn lane once, trying to follow the left lane marker because the right was not terribly clear. It'll take some time and testing before I really know how I feel. I did give it some very challenging situations. But how totally cool! It is such a weird experience to have the car driving itself.

Im disappointed that I can't eat in the back seat yet and be driven to work...

Screen Shot 2015-10-15 at 11.53.38 PM.png

2. When merging into the highway, it seemed to drive more aggressively than I'd have liked. The car in front of me tried to merge even though there were still some distance before the merging lane ends. So it just zoomed past that car at highway speed to almost the end of the merging lane. It worked, but scary.

Sounds like the car is driving the right way, better than most humans. That guy was going way too slow.

Posting videos I saw on reddit. These are not my videos and the captions are from youtube videos of respective video owners.
reddit has other videos proving its still in beta(Elong emphasized this) and people should not expect way too much and be careful.
"Tesla AutoPilot tried to kill me! "

Hard turn @ 2:57 mark:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh similar behavior as my #1 and #3. Though the guy using autopilot on a non-divided road simply asked for it himself.
That being said, I don't mind if it disengages but hey don't jerk to the side for no good reason..
Scary stuff and they better fix it soon.

Last edited:
I think it will be very important this auto-pilot system continue to learn the specific roads we drive everyday, to work, and go home; learn how we drive and react for those particular roads.
These will be the situation we use auto-pilot most often.
For other roads we don't drive so often, at current technology, pay attention to drive by ourselves with assistance of the system to avoid accident.

this autopilot system has a lot of "eyes", but it's brain and driving experience is like newbie.

Well well well... "Tesla AutoPilot tried to kill me! "

The title of this video should be "Tesla AutoPilot tried to kill some innocent other people and I am to blame for it."
It's a very very very bad idea to release this to general public when it makes that kind of mistakes.
At least it should not be possible to enable the option other then on highways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, Tesla better lock it to few selected roads. It should, at this point, never engage on roads w/o divider or no shoulder.

Also, what is with the sudden jerking of the wheel - if Autopilot thinks sudden correction is needed it means the system needs work - this is not GTA 7.

I agree, Tesla better lock it to few selected roads. It should, at this point, never engage on roads w/o divider or no shoulder.

Also, what is with the sudden jerking of the wheel - if Autopilot thinks sudden correction is needed it means the system needs work - this is not GTA 7.

Actually, Autosteer disengages before the Model S veers to left. Looks like driver error and not an autosteer mistake.

Actually, Autosteer disengages before the Model S veers to left. Looks like driver error and not an autosteer mistake.

How in the world is that driver's error? What did the driver do incorrectly?

The angle is weird, but it looks like the car veers left earlier in the video to for no reason at all. Personally, once it did that, I would have disengaged and concluded AP couldn't handle that road

I'm very satisfied.

But AP did try to kill me today. Going down a curvy city street, 1 lane in each direction. It was doing great, then all of a sudden it tried to change lanes :gulp:. Thankfully there was no oncoming traffic.

I'm very satisfied.

But AP did try to kill me today. Going down a curvy city street, 1 lane in each direction. It was doing great, then all of a sudden it tried to change lanes :gulp:. Thankfully there was no oncoming traffic.

This.
Who ever said that humans are bad drivers forgot to mention that they are even worse in reading manuals.
Didn't they say that the auto-steer/lane keeping is for highways, and NOT to be used on two way streets without barriers ??

This.
Who ever said that humans are bad drivers forgot to mention that they are even worse in reading manuals.
Didn't they say that the auto-steer/lane keeping is for highways, and NOT to be used on two way streets without barriers ??

A. Actually they NEVER said the bolded

2. And humans who don't test the boundaries or capabilities of what they have will never know the limitations.

III. What's your point? They also said TACC is for highways, I use it on city streets all the time. You gotta know the limitations of the hardware to comfortably use it.