Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How satisfied are you with the non-AP (Classic) V7.0

How satisfied are you with the Non-AP (Classic) v7.0

• Very Unsatisfied

Votes: 32 13.0%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 35 14.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 36 14.6%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 95 38.6%
  • Very Satisfied

Votes: 48 19.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm holding out. Perhaps when I see it in person (on another pre-AP) I'll change my mind, but there appears to be no compelling reason to upgrade at this point. Torque sleep isn't a factor for my typical driving and more efficient AC is irrelevant with winter coming.

So... why would I update to inferior displays?? There's nothing in it for me.
This is where I am at. Some of the other owners in my area have updated and we regularly meet up, so I'll get my chance to look at their cars soon enough.

Haven't driven the car yet. I do love the quick access to lock and unlock the car though.

This is a perfect example of how Tesla doesn't think. If you are parked and press the silver button on the parking stalk after the doors lock, they will present. The logical person would think that pressing it again would lock the doors, but nope! We have a button toggle to unlock the doors on the stalk, but to re-lock them you have to touch the lock icon on the 17" screen. Completely, utterly stupid and backward. Just make the stalk button toggle between lock/unlock states and it's done! And it's all close by - no need to stretch to touch an icon on the 17" display.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone programming the UI at Tesla has any common sense, or has even used the car.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm okay with the change. Wish they had made the brake lights bigger on the car in the center. I have an idea why they took the battery icon and made it so small...to reduce range anxiety. No ice car has the gas gauge taking up a third of the screen, so why should the battery take up a third of the screen?

Because, despite the best PR effort, Tesla has not ended range anxiety for anyone. If anything, their beta trip planner increases range anxiety for many. In fact, I recently drove from Phoenix to Sedona and could not rely on trip planner for any useful information. The only Supercharger is half way to Sedona. Well, what if I want to tool around Sedona for a while, maybe go to Jerome, will I have enough to get back to the Cordes Lakes Supercharger on my way home? No way to know, no way for the software to tell me because it won't allow me to enter more than a single destination rather than a trip. It's called "trip" planner, yet I'm only allowed to have a single destination and cannot plan for a round trip.

Tesla doesn't appear to be thinking clearly and with a single mind.

I like the update, but agree with the other comments that the dash panel display of the brake lights is nearly useless for MC Red cars.

I posted about this as soon as I received the update. All the red is the same color, no discernible difference. Also the brake lights appear to be a 1-pixel thin strip at best. This is not helpful at all. It does nothing but make me wonder who at Tesla is making these bad decisions. Elon said version 7 has been a year in the making, and this is what we get? AFTER A WHOLE YEAR?

It's like an intern just resized a car image in Photoshop and didn't pay any attention to whether it was actually usable.

Last edited:
doesn't putting the car into park unlock the doors in your car?

Yes, but pressing the button again should lock the doors. That makes the most sense, yet it is not implemented this way. The park button does only this - put the car into park and unlock the doors. If you continue sitting in the car after the doors lock, pressing park again will unlock them. Pressing the park button should toggle the lock/unlock, not just unlock. I'm saying that Tesla had an opportunity to consolidate this function in one place, but has now split the functionality between a hard and soft button when it could have all lived in one place.

The microscopic battery indicator is particularly infuriating. The odometer, which is completely irrelevant in a car that doesn't need oil changes, is now front and center, while the single most important fact about the car is almost hidden. It feels like some marketing dweeb's way of passive aggressively telling us that range anxiety is so solved that we don't even need to look anymore.

Now that the power meter and outside temperature are back, my only complaint would be the invisible brake lights on the car graphic. I have no idea whether the feature is useful or not since I can't see it unless I get in close with my reading glasses on. I guess it was design by a person with 20/20 vision who isn't colour blind.

The bright headlights on the graphic are a little distracting but easily tuned out.

I like the lock button. Having the handles present when selecting park is not that intuitive, and if you picking someone up it means having to select Drive again.

The trip display is more useful now that it automatically displays the current trip. The A/B trip meters can be reserved for longer term purposes.

The microscopic battery indicator is particularly infuriating. The odometer, which is completely irrelevant in a car that doesn't need oil changes, is now front and center, while the single most important fact about the car is almost hidden. It feels like some marketing dweeb's way of passive aggressively telling us that range anxiety is so solved that we don't even need to look anymore.

How do I upvoat this comment?

I don't like it much at all. The only aspect of the old UI that I didn't like was the music player graphics. Reminded me of my Photoshop and Alien Skin plug-ins in the late 90s. This looks like a half baked replica of some blend of Material Design and iOS.

I voted neutral.

After all the complaining about the User Interface even before the firmware was released, I was relieved that the look, feel and use wasn't worse than it is.

As others have stated I find the reversal of the range meter with the odometer reading to be a definite step backwards. For me the most frequently accessed data is the range. It was correct to have it front and center in a large prominent location, not relegated to a tiny portion off to the bottom left. In fact, I would like the Projected Range from the Energy application added to the dashboard screen. One way to do this would be to add it to the right of the thumbnail version of the Energy screen.

In contrast odometer readings are only infrequently referred to and shouldn't be in such a prominent location.

Like others I appreciate the new lock/unlock icon, but I agree with AmpedRealtor's suggestion that a park button toggle between open and lock would have been more intuitive and easier to use.

I appreciate the larger media buttons in concept, but find that they are not aesthetically balanced with the remainder of the media display.

I found the placement of the date, day, time temperature, and mileage at the bottom of the dashboard display to be vastly more compact and appropriate than an oversized analog clock with only two pieces of information.

All in all, I am merely satisfied, but not impressed with the User Interface changes and hope that 7.1 will be a more thoughtful implementation for the Classic owners.

Larry

PS I am very pleased with the fact that the RWD fleet was thrown a bone by slightly improving the efficiency in version 7.0.

I would like the Projected Range from the Energy application added to the dashboard screen.

I found the placement of the date, day, time temperature, and mileage at the bottom of the dashboard display to be vastly more compact and appropriate than an oversized analog clock with only two pieces of information.]

100+. The temp impacts current efficiency. I use it continuously when I take a drive out of Seattle (mountains? desert?)

We absolutely hate it. Is there a way to get the old dash display back? First thing we have found to not like about the Tesla. If they are going to completely change the look of the dashboard could they not let us know first what the change is going to be and give us a choice to not accept the download. The notes talk about new apps but give no instructions as to how to access the apps. The notes say the new dashboard app is added to two old ones. How can I get the old one back