Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How satisfied are you with the non-AP (Classic) V7.0

How satisfied are you with the Non-AP (Classic) v7.0

• Very Unsatisfied

Votes: 32 13.0%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 35 14.2%
  • Neutral

Votes: 36 14.6%
  • Satisfied

Votes: 95 38.6%
  • Very Satisfied

Votes: 48 19.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From the thread it seems like there is a majority concerning Odometer and range placement on the IC (Instrument Panel), brightness of the headlights and hard to see brake lights. Let's hope that Tesla makes this change.

My other thoughts concerning the UI is that the cleanliness is very nice making items easier to read and fonts could be made larger and higher contrast (i.e. easier to read) without new wireframes.

After driving the autopilot version for a while and then going back to the speedo dial it is overwhelming amount of numbers. Would be a great next step to try and design this to be more modern. Maybe the new clock is step in that direction, maybe not, but it does reduce the amount of numbers while still conveying the relevant information of output or regen power.

For instance, I do not get value out of the real-time analog speedo. Digital is all that is valuable to me. Real-time analog output or regen power has definite value. Having just a few ticks seems better than several as long as simple extrapolation can be accomplished.

... they're also not "little changes in the display".. it's an extreme reduction in functionality and content compared to what we had before with the addition of a phenomenally useless skeuomorphic toy car with blindingly bright headlights and rear turn and brake lights that most people can't even see.

This is the first time where I feel like Tesla
has overstepped demanding we accept software upgrades.
I would like my old software back.

My car currently looks like Sesame Street and I think I lost some functionality.
I inspire hackers the world over to come up with a way to stop updates.
I believe there's some owners it will pay for that.
Tesla you have lost me as a fan boy over this!

... they're also not "little changes in the display".. it's an extreme reduction in functionality and content compared to what we had before with the addition of a phenomenally useless skeuomorphic toy car with blindingly bright headlights and rear turn and brake lights that most people can't even see.

My suggestion to Tesla:

1. Remove the toy car and odometer from the center dials.

2. Add the toy car and all associated feedback to the "car status" app which can be displayed on the side panels of the IC if desired.

3. Put the odo where the range indicator currently resides (and closer to where it was originally).

4. Relocate the range indicator front and center where we just created a void by moving the car icon and odo.

Thoughts?

One of my pet peeves in the old UI, the crappy Media app, is still an utter piece of tripe that shouldn't have passed muster when I received my car 3 years ago, let alone today!

While I can understand wanting to have large UI buttons, that doesn't mean you have to use mass amounts of whitespace outside of some broad target region across the entire bottom of the Media app! Many of the sources I listen to (whether from USB or streamed media), have track info that far exceeds the paltry number of characters allotted for title info. So I see the "..." in a vast sea of wasted space nowhere near any of the UI buttons, and cannot help but wonder who actually designs the UI, who tests it, and who approves it?

One of the reasons I wouldn't ever turn on AP, if the developers working on the general UI and apps like the Media app have been with Tesla since the beginning, and *still* haven't managed to get out a useful implementation (and in the case of the Nav/Google/turn-by-turn integration, even half-way reasonable) for apps that should be trivial when compared with AP, how on earth would I trust them to get AP right?

One of the reasons I wouldn't ever turn on AP, if the developers working on the general UI and apps like the Media app have been with Tesla since the beginning, and *still* haven't managed to get out a useful implementation (and in the case of the Nav/Google/turn-by-turn integration, even half-way reasonable) for apps that should be trivial when compared with AP, how on earth would I trust them to get AP right?

The only logic I can find is that Tesla pulled all capable hands off of UI and Human Interface Design to get AP out the door in 2015. Leaving interns and/or the groundskeepers in charge of UI development.

(no offense to the groundskeepers, I'm sure they're excellent at their job).

The only logic I can find is that Tesla pulled all capable hands off of UI and Human Interface Design to get AP out the door in 2015. Leaving interns and/or the groundskeepers in charge of UI development.

(no offense to the groundskeepers, I'm sure they're excellent at their job).
Those should be completely separate groups of developers: anyone could cobble together a media player app using iOS or Andriod developer tools in a matter of days, if not hours! If Tesla is using a dev framework that takes more than 10x or 100x of other platforms, that should be a concern. AP is much more sophisticated in requiring integration with multiple real-time input feeds, rapid decision making and then immediate and direct integration to take over controls from the user. That's a bit more complicated that just using some stray unused whitespace on the screen to display useful information, versus arbitrary truncation out of what can only be attributed to sheer laziness or horrific UI management oversight. Like I say, pet peeve of mine... drives me absolutely crazy on a near-daily basis. :biggrin:

Those should be completely separate groups of developers: anyone could cobble together a media player app using iOS or Andriod developer tools in a matter of days, if not hours! If Tesla is using a dev framework that takes more than 10x or 100x of other platforms, that should be a concern. AP is much more sophisticated in requiring integration with multiple real-time input feeds, rapid decision making and then immediate and direct integration to take over controls from the user. That's a bit more complicated that just using some stray unused whitespace on the screen to display useful information, versus arbitrary truncation out of what can only be attributed to sheer laziness or horrific UI management oversight. Like I say, pet peeve of mine... drives me absolutely crazy on a near-daily basis. :biggrin:

Yeah, my reply was facetious and not all that serious. But I totally agree with you they would be completely different teams with different skills... but what other logic can you find that explains the UI we ended up with? Given the fact that Elon and Tesla was under extreme pressure to get AP released ASAP?

"I don't care about UI development... work on AP. I don't care what you do, but just do it. And faster!!"

Who hasn't been part of a software development project where that hasn't happened?

I have a non-AP Model S.
1. The change to gray numbers on the speedometer on non-AP cars is a huge mistake. They are not visible with sunglasses on. How was this missed? Seems like they didn't bother to test this on non-AP cars and just tested in in the lab.
2. I like being able to see whether or not the brake lights are on - bit thumbs up for this. Tesla needs to fix this for red cars, however.
3. I miss the time and date.
4. Don't like that they moved PRND from the bottom center to the bottom right. I am guessing it was to make room for the AP graphics.

The car seems a little faster, but that may just be me wanting it to be faster. ;-)

I continue to refuse to install 7.0. Car keeps bugging me to do so, every morning. I keep tapping the encircled X and dismissing the dialog box.

So yeah, very unsatisfied.

It's fun being a Tesla-owning Luddite. :) But Tesla blew it. I like the dash display the way it is. Have gotten quite used to it. It makes sense. Things are readable, easily discoverable.

The new UI is a disaster. I ain't switchin'. And Tesla better not try to force a download without my permission.

I feel like a lot of the early owners hate the interface, but I actually kind of like it. It's actually much less flat than given credit for. Everything is shaded in gradients, and is nice to look at. They went flatter, but not too flat, IMO. Especially the instrument cluster has a nice overall texture to it. The application icons on the center console still have a shadow behind them to make them pop a bit. I also like that more space is devoted to the actual content I'm interested in rather than useless visual flourish. I love the new instrument cluster mapping display. Definitely looks less like an afterthought than the last one.

That said, there are a couple things I'm not impressed with that could be improved (7.1 I hope!):
  1. The center gauge doesn't match. It's tacked on and sticks out. I like that they didn't mess with it too much, but it really should have the same visual style as the rest of the car. Also, the numbers on the gauge are now harder to read (darker color? thinner font? not sure), which sucks.
  2. The toy car is essentially useless if you have a MC Red vehicle. Brake lights/turn signal on the car are barely visible... certainly not at a glance like things should be on the cluster. The headlights shining out of the car are actively bad design, creating a very bright spot for little reason. Why are they brighter than the numbers on the gauge?!?
  3. Loss of easily visible climate control status. Instead of the representative fanspeed/recirc icons, you now have to open the climate control panel to see current settings.
  4. The odometer is now large and inside the gauge, but the remaining range is small in the corner and obstructed by the mapping directions. What kind of sense does that make?

Other than that, I'm mainly disappointed we've gone yet another major release without media app improvements. Still not even basic smartphone support.

I voted neutral. Some good, some bad.

Last edited:
I think this horse is sufficiently beaten. it is a change some of it is good some not so good but it isn't as dire as some have made it out to be.
maybe it is a marketing ploy to get the earlier buyers to trade up to a newer version.