Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t get the point of pin to drive or the ghost immobiliser, I’d rather keep my family safe and let them take the car
Really? none at all.

You lose your keyfob/keycard/phone and someone finds it
You step away from the car and someone jumps in before it locks
you get out of the car and accidently leave your phone in there
someone reaches through the letterbox and takes your key fob ( more common than you think ( if you have a keyfob))
someone figures out how to do relay attacks using bluetooth.

not all criminals are knife wielding maniacs

Reactions: BitJam and M1tch
What happens if you drop the key to any other car? The answer is the same and if you do then you deal with the consequences. That’s also what insurance is for.

If someone really wanted to steal my car, I’d rather it be taken and never seen again than do anything that may get myself or my family involved in anyway. Again, it’s insured and will be replaced with little hassle or loss to me. As far as I am concerned, I just need to meet the requirements of my insurance, no more, no less. If it gets nicked, I’ll just get another one.

Not a chance I’d be bothering with Ghosts, steering locks or bollards. Gap insurance is far cheaper.

Tesla’s, particularly the Model 3, are common, not anything special anymore and very replaceable these days. I say that as a Model 3 owner.

I’d have a different attitude if I had a mint classic Land Rover or something else particularly rare and basically irreplaceable.

Really? none at all.

You lose your keyfob/keycard/phone and someone finds it
You step away from the car and someone jumps in before it locks
you get out of the car and accidently leave your phone in there
someone reaches through the letterbox and takes your key fob ( more common than you think ( if you have a keyfob))
someone figures out how to do relay attacks using bluetooth.

not all criminals are knife wielding maniacs
What are the odds the person who finds your phone/keycard/fob also happens to be a car thief?

If that person is prepared to jump in just before it locks, you can be sure that person is prepared to use force to get that pin from you

I don’t use a fob so I don’t have to worry about someone reaching in to grab the keys and even if I did, I don’t keep my keys anywhere near the front door

I use my phone as a key and carry the card just in case. I only use P2D on overnight road trips.

P2D is pointless to me at home because car theft isn’t common in my area, so it’s just an arbitrary step to get moving. But this is a preference based on the choice we have, so I think it’s fine to want to or not want to use any combination of P2D/phone/key fob/card as long as you know and accept the risks relative to your situation.

Also, Model 3’s are common as muck now. So the appeal to steal is low knowing how useless they become after being reported stolen.

Also, Model 3’s are common as muck now. So the appeal to steal is low knowing how useless they become after being reported stolen.

2021 - 2022 most stolen car: Ford Fiesta (We've got one and it never even crosses our minds ...)

Tesla not in the top ten:

Last edited:
2022 most stolen car: Ford Fiesta (We've got one and it never even crosses our minds ...)

Tesla not in the top ten:
Which, coincidently, also happens to be the most common car in the UK :rolleyes:
To have any real meaning you need to know the theft rate rather than just the headline number.
Teslas could be stolen at a rate 10x Fiestas and they still would not crack the top 10

Which, coincidently, also happens to be the most common car in the UK :rolleyes:
To have any real meaning you need to know the theft rate rather than just the headline number.
Teslas could be stolen at a rate 10x Fiestas and they still would not crack the top 10
Tesla don't even crack to top 10 stolen EVs.. Top 10 most stolen cars in the UK 2021 - see the list

Now given #10 is the Ioniq with 32 cars stolen in a year, and the Tesla is lower than that.. I'm not going to lie awake at night worrying about it.

Edit: That article is a bit wierd.. steering lock? Did the reporter just wake up from the 1980s?

Tesla don't even crack to top 10 stolen EVs.. Top 10 most stolen cars in the UK 2021 - see the list

Now given #10 is the Ioniq with 32 cars stolen in a year, and the Tesla is lower than that.. I'm not going to lie awake at night worrying about it.

Edit: That article is a bit wierd.. steering lock? Did the reporter just wake up from the 1980s?
An old fashioned steering lock is an excellent security measure. Todays lazy thieves will avoid a car with one and target one without. They’re big into keyless thefts around here but they’re too lazy to remove a steering lock. It’s a worthwhile deterrent if you have a keyless ford, Land Rover or fast Golf/Audi.

Got it handled. At least at home. We have an electric gate at the entrance to our fenced 12 acres. The S is parked in a locked attached garage. Oh, and our dogs have access to the acreage and the garage. What breed are the dogs you might ask? A Rottweiler and a French Mastiff - both over a hundred pounds. We can't use sentry at home due to all of the human, dog and other critter traffic but we always have PIN to drive engaged. We figure there have to be easier targets. And since we always keep the charger plugged in, without a fob or other access you would have to either cut the charger cable (that could get messy) or, I suppose, somehow rip the connection out of the car.
We do keep our insurance premiums up to date and sentry engaged everywhere else but I don't like the thought of the car being stolen because of the hassle, the inconvenience and the fact that insurance doesn't cover depreciation. The biggest concern we have had to learn to consider is to not leave the phone in the car. Haven't figured out how using the PIN is so inconvenient. Once you get in the car you touch 4 digits on the screen which, of course, appears automatically and it's done. Whew, my fingers are feeling tired just thinking about it! 🙃