Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In respectfully flagrant disregard (oxymoron of the week) of the plea to restrict responses to subject relevance, I throw myself on your mercy because I
I have not been able to find a relevant thread here (I think our search engine might be a bit iffy!? Of course, my searching might also be imperfect).

So, help please: Has anyone fitted a Disklok device to their steering wheel? I phoned Disklok to check suitability but "... no, we don't keep a list, go by the steering wheel diameter". Not really going the extra mile for the customer is it.

There could be factors other than the steering wheel diameter. This was not some lazy distributor, this was "them".

Am I getting too old for modern commerce 😢 ?

Not really; there have always been the Good, the Bad and the Ugly vendors (and customers) :cool: .

Last edited:
In respectfully flagrant disregard (oxymoron of the week) of the plea to restrict responses to subject relevance, I throw myself on your mercy because I
I have not been able to find a relevant thread here (I think our search engine might be a bit iffy!? Of course, my searching might also be imperfect).

So, help please: Has anyone fitted a Disklok device to their steering wheel? I phoned Disklok to check suitability but "... no, we don't keep a list, go by the steering wheel diameter". Not really going the extra mile for the customer is it.

There could be factors other than the steering wheel diameter. This was not some lazy distributor, this was "them".

Am I getting too old for modern commerce 😢 ?

Not really; there have always been the Good, the Bad and the Ugly vendors (and customers) :cool: .

@Jason71 Your promotion should be through anyway now:)
you do not need disklok orany steering wheel lock. really

as I mentioned, it will be too sofisticated for kids down the block to take your car for a ride and steering wheel lock provided additional 5s of work for pro-thief to take your car anyway, and in will not be something that prevents car from being stolen. it is gimmick these days, as all cars have immobilizers and steering wheel locks

Reactions: Wattsisname
you do not need disklok orany steering wheel lock. really

as I mentioned, it will be too sofisticated for kids down the block to take your car for a ride and steering wheel lock provided additional 5s of work for pro-thief to take your car anyway, and in will not be something that prevents car from being stolen. it is gimmick these days, as all cars have immobilizers and steering wheel locks
@yessuz Thank you for that.

@Roy B Dis you get any answer?

I am currently researching the Disklok for my Y. Their ads and even their vehicle list do not mention Tesla. Has anyone had better luck with Disklock or similar?
Disklok small fits the M3 just fine. I'd recommend it. EDIT: Not sure if the MY has the exact same steering wheel as the M3, but presuamably someone here will know....

You probably want to consider buying the full kit, which includes the protective steering wheel cover (to avoid the lock damaging the leatherette finish) and the storage bag (which has velcro to stop the heavy lock moving around in your boot).

EDIT: Do be particularly careful applying and removing the lock until you're used to it. It's surprisingly easy to accidentally bash the centre display while manhandling this big, heavy lock if you're not used to it!

EDIT^2: Also if you use multiple driver profiles and/or easy access (I don't) then be careful when changing profile with the lock present. I don't know whether more extreme positions of the steering wheel could cause the lock to hit something. Hopefully not, but you don't want to find out the hard way!

Last edited:
  • Informative
@yessuz Thank you for that.
Pin2drive is a lesser inconvenience but I've learned to live with it. At lease you don't have a bulky thing to handle every time you want to start/stop the car, and afaik it foils the BLE relay hack that would allow a thief to drive away with your car.
Of course, it doesn't stop them from entering the car and steal whatever's been left inside but neither does a disklok..

I find all these wheel locks useless these days.

All cars have immobilizers and it by default will stops any kids to take your car for a ride. And it is unlocked by professionals within seconds, so it adds more hassle for you than anyone who is trying to steal it.
I do think it acts as a deterrent. Why go to the trouble of removing a mechanical lock when there is no shortage of Teslas to steal that don't have one?

Plus, the Disklok is one of the harder locks to defeat. Sure, you can remove it with an angle grinder if you know what you're doing - but even professionals find it difficult. You only need to read some of the stories of people who'd lost the keys to their Disklok and the difficulty they had finding a locksmith who was able to remove it.

I do think it acts as a deterrent. Why go to the trouble of removing a mechanical lock when there is no shortage of Teslas to steal that don't have one?

Plus, the Disklok is one of the harder locks to defeat. Sure, you can remove it with an angle grinder if you know what you're doing - but even professionals find it difficult. You only need to read some of the stories of people who'd lost the keys to their Disklok and the difficulty they had finding a locksmith who was able to remove it.
It is deterrent from who?

If it's kids down the road or amateurs, they will not steal tesla as too much hassle with electronics. It's easier to go with you neighbors insignia ot fiesta.
If it's pros, it's just mild inconvenience for another 10s - there are no undefeatable locks.

So what you have - bulky metal thing which most likely will damage your steering wheel leather (ffs, buy a protective cover?!?) It is inconvenient to use and helps more or less no one...
As mentioned, pin to drive is much much better solution. And less bulkier. And no damage to your car...

In the end of the day - there's insurance you pay few hundred a year...

But everyone's choice to have it's own oddities. If you like to have all this inconvenience for yourself for imaginary benefits, no one can blame you I guess

It is deterrent from who?

If it's kids down the road or amateurs, they will not steal tesla as too much hassle with electronics. It's easier to go with you neighbors insignia ot fiesta.
If it's pros, it's just mild inconvenience for another 10s - there are no undefeatable locks.

So what you have - bulky metal thing which most likely will damage your steering wheel leather (ffs, buy a protective cover?!?) It is inconvenient to use and helps more or less no one...
As mentioned, pin to drive is much much better solution. And less bulkier. And no damage to your car...

In the end of the day - there's insurance you pay few hundred a year...

But everyone's choice to have it's own oddities. If you like to have all this inconvenience for yourself for imaginary benefits, no one can blame you I guess
I have set up PIN to drive.

The Diskloks are hard to pick, and cutting it off with an angle grinder is noisy (plus probably takes longer than 10 seconds). Given how many Model 3s there are in London, why would a professional thief pick the one with the Disklok when there's no shortage of those without?

Anyway, the police seem to believe they deter theft.

Yup, of course you should enable pin-to-drive - but there have been a number of thefts of cars recently that have pin-to-drive enabled. It's not known how this was done (and to my knowledge they were all Model S) but software can have vulnerabilities. Details of how to exploit these vulnerabilities can spread quickly.

Insurance for a couple of hundred pounds? No chance, in much of London.

You can never completely protect yourself from a determined thief, but why make it easy for them? Just my 2p worth....

I enabled PIN 2 Drive from the first day it became available. That didn’t stop 4 car thefts of models like mine a few weeks back from being attempted, and succeeding in at least 1 case. I still use it, even though insurers don’t generally factor it in other than at the Make/Model level. Arguably, the more that do enable it, the more premiums go down, slightly.

Those recent thefts all took advantage of MCU1’s weakness where it can be started with default configuration by interrupting its storage access wire after power cut/restore, having gained access to cabin by opening door from inside (ideally without breaking glass, by inflate-widening it for tool to reach in to handle), given Tesla’s lack of double-central locking, setting off the alarm (until they can pull siren power, or turn Alarm/Remote Access off after restart).

• Informative
Reactions: brainhouston
I enabled PIN 2 Drive from the first day it became available. That didn’t stop 4 car thefts of models like mine a few weeks back from being attempted, and succeeding in at least 1 case. I still use it, even though insurers don’t generally factor it in other than at the Make/Model level. Arguably, the more that do enable it, the more premiums go down, slightly.

Those recent thefts all took advantage of MCU1’s weakness where it can be started with default configuration by interrupting its storage access wire after power cut/restore, having gained access to cabin by opening door from inside (ideally without breaking glass, by inflate-widening it for tool to reach in to handle), given Tesla’s lack of double-central locking, setting off the alarm (until they can pull siren power, or turn Alarm/Remote Access off after restart).
You’re right in saying that as far as physical security goes, implementation of double central locking *should* be easy to implement through a software update. I would welcome such an addition.

• Funny
Reactions: NewbieT
Pin to drive and put your valuables in the glove box with a pin for security.

Works for me.

Lets be honest if the "Pro thief" wants your car they will have done their homework and know how to take it.

The "Chav kids" from down the road will have more problems as they don't have the brains. ;)

Pin to drive and put your valuables in the glove box with a pin for security.

Works for me.

Lets be honest if the "Pro thief" wants your car they will have done their homework and know how to take it.

The "Chav kids" from down the road will have more problems as they don't have the brains. ;)
Go Team Red.😁.....what a guy; buys a model Y and still has cash to buy valuables.....for me, the car is the valuable.....plus of course SWMBO.....
..but the glove box is out of the question despite her best efforts with Slim Fast....
...hic!
Evening all.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: busterboy
It may be only on the Model S. The Model X release is behind the speaker grill (just remove with your torx bit that every self respecting passenger always has on them), and the M3 and MY used to have no manual release of the rear doors.
The lack of accessible door release on the M3/MY is to prevent a curious child from ending up tumbling down the road. There’s little point having child locks if they can just pull a release cable. The likelihood of this happening is much higher than them being trapped in the event of an accident.