Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lack of accessible door release on the M3/MY is to prevent a curious child from ending up tumbling down the road. There’s little point having child locks if they can just pull a release cable. The likelihood of this happening is much higher than them being trapped in the event of an accident.
That’s a fairly poor excuse and I doubt a conscious decision on Teslas part. It’s another case of automakers have been able to have a door mechanism that can be opened without power after an accident but prevent children from opening when the car is in use. Tesla reinvent the door handle and in some respects it’s worse.

Even Tesla seem to agree it’s a bad idea to not have them as it appears they’re now fitting them, and have a,wats had them on their flagship models.

• Disagree
Reactions: boombap
That’s a fairly poor excuse and I doubt a conscious decision on Teslas part. It’s another case of automakers have been able to have a door mechanism that can be opened without power after an accident but prevent children from opening when the car is in use. Tesla reinvent the door handle and in some respects it’s worse.

Even Tesla seem to agree it’s a bad idea to not have them as it appears they’re now fitting them, and have a,wats had them on their flagship models.
Ok my post should have started “Based on the present design…”

Unfortunately not, the front door handles are physically linked to ensure egress from a safety over security standpoint.
You mean manual release on front doors?

Havent tried but I was under the impression the single electronic button is also still functional when the car is locked, and that's my issue.
I would tend to think it's fairly easy to press it from outside using the old wire hanger method, while it would be more complicated to fish and grab the manual door release handle which requires some pulling force.

The electronic button is the primary method, but if you take a closer look on your Tesla you’ll find there’s still a manual release lever a little further behind! (rounded black plastic edge piece, that can be raised with fingers from below) Probably harder for the wire technique of thieves.
Yes I know about the manual release handle but I was specifically referring the electronic button for that reason, that could be disabled when the car is locked and parked. And therefore should be, through a future software update, to improve security.

Reactions: Wattsisname
How they open up other cars with good access to the CAN bus.
image_3ce4f69a-43c8-4c18-b844-ad5fa2521d9920221231_180608.jpg

Does Tesla have this problem? If yes, how to prevent it?

Reactions: Ricecooker
How they open up other cars with good access to the CAN bus. View attachment 890810

Does Tesla have this problem? If yes, how to prevent it?

If someone is that determined they’re gonna cut a hole in the car, they can have it. I’ll add this to the list of things I don’t have time to worry about.
It as @boombap said unfortunately. You can only mitigate this problem. Insurance is a good start and go from there.

Reactions: boombap
Not just cut a hole in the car, but apply the right controls to the bus to bypass pin to drive and allow the car to drive (assuming that's possible)... those signals are not standardised. If someone is that determined it's a pretty sophisticated attack and they'd find another way anyway.
The Range Rover has some critical wiring that runs through the tailgate. If they can access the wiring then they can cut wires to disable the alarm and unlock the doors. No tinkering with the CAN bus is required.

The Range Rover has some critical wiring that runs through the tailgate. If they can access the wiring then they can cut wires to disable the alarm and unlock the doors. No tinkering with the CAN bus is required.
There is a camera at the back of any Tesla. Does anybody know, preferably an engineer, if the wiring to the cameras is CAN-wiring? If not, we're safe.

Why are people worrying about the CAN network as if you can steal a car after accessing it? You can gain access to a vehicle probably by making doors open, but that's the same opportunity as breaking the glass. I don't understand this thread.

Why are people worrying about the CAN network as if you can steal a car after accessing it? You can gain access to a vehicle probably by making doors open, but that's the same opportunity as breaking the glass. I don't understand this thread.
It's the same as not being able to see covid, does not mean it does not cause problems - security-problems are often invisible and not just broken windows or other obviously detectable stuff.

Have a look at this link. This is a specific device for Toyota or Lexus cars, but demonstrates the potential weakness.

2022 Toyota Lexus EMERGENCY START JBL Device no Immo

I’m not aware of any Tesla’s being targeted I such a manner. I think the cars are so connected to the Tesla mothership that they are extremely unattractive to steal. You might be able to break it for parts, but you’d never sell one on.