Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way, our Neighbours are lovely. This isn't a matter of fear... it's just proactive common sense.

But, I've had this conversation many times before from people who just don't get it... that's fine by me.

Carry on... :D
I get it. Tommy Toerag comes looking to steal nice car from nice neighbourhood. Cases the joint and your gaff is much harder to get at than the one three doors down, so he goes there because the pickings are easy.

I get it. Tommy Toerag comes looking to steal nice car from nice neighbourhood. Cases the joint and your gaff is much harder to get at than the one three doors down, so he goes there because the pickings are easy.
On the flip side....with that amount of security, I would be inclined to assume this guys got stuff to hide, so breaking in would be worth the effort?

Who knows what goes through these scumbags minds anyway.

Reactions: Xdama
Remember that if your car IS stolen you can go to your Tesla app and see exactly where it is, how fast it's going, and call the gendarmes. You can then watch as your car is pulled over and the thieves are hauled away. Sooner or later the local car thieves will realize that a Tesla is not a good car to swipe. PLUS, it's hard to steal in the first place. You'd need the app to unlock it, or a fob, and if you go that far, you'd know you could be watched.

Reactions: Ricecooker
It looks to take about 30 seconds to disable the ‘SIM card’ on some models. I think vehicle tracking is more a convenience/app feature than a security feature. I certainly do not declare the car as having tracking on insurance, nor a dash cam for that matter.

Remember that if your car IS stolen you can go to your Tesla app and see exactly where it is, how fast it's going, and call the gendarmes. You can then watch as your car is pulled over and the thieves are hauled away. Sooner or later the local car thieves will realize that a Tesla is not a good car to swipe. PLUS, it's hard to steal in the first place. You'd need the app to unlock it, or a fob, and if you go that far, you'd know you could be watched.

I wish the car did, but it doesn't report it's location while driven. Only when parked.

Although, yep, that's still something.

Didn't do it with the app when I last tried, which it what most will do.

I'll try again, because if it does in the app now, that's changed recently.

It may have changed recently for you but it's always done this (since I got the car in 2019 anyway) in the app unless the car is in an area of zero connectivity ... which isn't beyond the bounds of possibility of course.

Reactions: EVMeister
It may have changed recently for you but it's always done this (since I got the car in 2019 anyway) in the app unless the car is in an area of zero connectivity ... which isn't beyond the bounds of possibility of course.

I just tried it and it does indeed now for me.

However, there are forum posts of others saying it didn't use to as well.

Something changed for some of us then.

Security PIN
In the manual it states . . .
In the unlikely event that your touchscreen is unresponsive, you may be unable to enter the PIN. In this case, first try to restart the touchscreen (see Restarting the Touchscreen). If the touchscreen is still unresponsive, you can still bypass PIN to Drive by turning on Keyless Driving in the Tesla mobile app.

Where on the mobile app do I find that Keyless Driving option?

The problem is if it is put on a low rider then the GPS won't update, it only updates if the wheels are spinning. It also isn't too hard for someone to block the GPS or cellular signal either if they wanted to.

Having flicked through this thread and seen some of the multiple security measures people feel the need to implement to avoid their car disappearing, I would say by far and away the biggest factor involved is where you actually live and regularly leave your car. We have no driveway security whatsoever and have never had a car stolen in decades. But I do worry even less about my Tesla being stolen than I would say a BMW or Range Rover. At the end of the day it's only a car and it is fully insured.

Reactions: Xdama
I've worked out how I had stopped my car reporting it's location when driving.

It's when I'm using a certain mobile WiFi hotspot and a certain setting.

And unfortunately... I now see it is actually quite easy to stop any car from reporting back to the Tesla mothership.

Security PIN
In the manual it states . . .
In the unlikely event that your touchscreen is unresponsive, you may be unable to enter the PIN. In this case, first try to restart the touchscreen (see Restarting the Touchscreen). If the touchscreen is still unresponsive, you can still bypass PIN to Drive by turning on Keyless Driving in the Tesla mobile app.

Where on the mobile app do I find that Keyless Driving option?
In the App its .... Controls > Start
This begins a 2min timer during which time the car can be started without the phone key, key card or fob being present.

Call me 'odd' but I'm one of the rare first time Tesla owners that didn't spend 3 months studying the manual day and night. Clearly I must 'have a life'
You may be surprised if you looked at the "friendly" manual - it actually has one of those index things that you can look up specific answers to questions.
Life or no life, if there's an instruction manual available and you don't even bother to look at it then you'll find you richly deserve all the ridicule responses you're getting to simple (repeatedly asked) questions.
You'd get useful answers if you used the search facility on this forum - you really don't have to create a new topic unless you genuinely couldn't find the answer first.
If that makes you "odd" the clearly "the cap fits"!