Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is if it is put on a low rider then the GPS won't update, it only updates if the wheels are spinning. It also isn't too hard for someone to block the GPS or cellular signal either if they wanted to.
This is totally untrue. The GPS updates when stationery, which would be the case on a low loader. This myth has been told over and over and is untrue.

I’ve had my Model Y for nearly two weeks now and I’ve been thinking about security. You hear stories about car signals being exploited and stolen within minutes etc.

How secure are our Tesla’s? I know they emit a Bluetooth signal for the phone unlocking etc.

I’m also thinking of installing a drive way security post as we have a lot of cars stolen in this area (Bexley) such as Range Rovers and BMW’s.
Very secure, look at vehicle thefts not internet FUD.

I'm curious what additional security steps you are going to take?
there-s-now-a-timed-cell-phone-jail-so-you-can-have-some-family-time-without-screens-thumb.jpg

Regarding security, not had the car a week yet but my main concern is the phone key. You seem to be able to physically unlock the car (i.e. by the handle) if the phone is roughly within a car's length away. Seems a quite a long distance to me, particularly if you park the car within that distance of the house, so you and the phone could be the other side of a wall. Of course you could set a PIN to drive but you wouldn't really want anyone even getting in the car whilst you're sat the other side of a wall.

The keyless entry on my old 2008 Audi A4 had a much shorter range, and in that sense was much better (for me, anyway).

Need to dig into how the phone's NFC works as a key, and whether this can work without the phone key actually set up.

It’s nowhere near a cars length. People have issues if they keep their phone in their back pocket.. it’s no more than a couple of few inches.

It seems to hugely depend upon the phone.

I have one phone that works when inside at the window and the car is on the driveway, many metres away. I can leave the phone inside and go outside to open the car.

When I use a different brand of phone then it only works 50% of the time while in my pocket and I'm right next to the door.

It’s nowhere near a cars length. People have issues if they keep their phone in their back pocket.. it’s no more than a couple of few inches.
It is for me, did some specific tests yesterday evening, it's roughly the length of an M3 from it's rear, through an external wall/window.

Phone is Samsung S21, it's likely all phones are different regarding bluetooth range, of course.

Looks there are two positions, the first when you can/can't unlock the car and a point further away where the app loses connection.

The range is certainly enough to be in a house/restaurant/office, be parked the other side of the wall and the car be open-able.

It is for me, did some specific tests yesterday evening, it's roughly the length of an M3 from it's rear, through an external wall/window.

Phone is Samsung S21, it's likely all phones are different regarding bluetooth range, of course.

Looks there are two positions, the first when you can/can't unlock the car and a point further away where the app loses connection.

The range is certainly enough to be in a house/restaurant/office, be parked the other side of the wall and the car be open-able.
Iphone is in the “if it’s in your back pocket it may or may not work when stood next to the car” ime. Hence buying a keyfo, that & the aforementioned ability to open the car for wifey when it’s peeing down so her hair doesn’t get wet🤣

You've got a model 3, not a Ferrari
Nothing wrong with making it difficult for toss pots. I have a large dog as they’re superb friends, make me exercise and great deterrents to would be thieves. To much hassle for them - noise and biting - and my buddy would attack if they’re not invited in by me or my wife or known to him.

When travelling I could leave him in the car, open the windows and doors with the key card in his mouth. He will go bananas if someone tried getting in the car that he didn’t know. He wasn’t trained this way but I don’t mind. He even places himself between my wife and people he doesn’t know.

This is totally untrue. The GPS updates when stationery, which would be the case on a low loader. This myth has been told over and over and is untrue.
I go over to the IoW on the ferry occasionally and the my position doesn't update until the wheels start rolling, the in car map shows me in Southampton when I'm on a ferry docked in Cowes.

I go over to the IoW on the ferry occasionally and the my position doesn't update until the wheels start rolling, the in car map shows me in Southampton when I'm on a ferry docked in Cowes.
Mind you it’s in a steel box at the time so getting a gps fix must be a challenge. I would think it’s more likely that than whether the wheels turn.

It’s not a myth at all. Tesla confirmed it was the case a while back. It came to light when an owners car was moved by the council in London and the owner thought it was stolen. After much investigation the car was found. I’ve also had on my old Model S arriving on a boat in another country, or on the channel tunnel, the car map not updating until driving. You can also get after a factory reset the location resetting to the factory location and it stays like that until the car is driven about a mile.

Tesla may have tried to improve things and make it update more often, I haven’t tried lately to know if it’s true, and I’ve personally seen no evidence that they have or haven’t, but to suggest it has always been a myth is definitely wrong.

Here’s a discussion on the subject

Last edited:
Reactions: jpm777