Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure Are Teslas/Tesla Thefts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies I thought the post I quoted was talking about tapping the phone to the car. It definitely unlocks via NFC that way under the B pillar camera.

I know it does for certain because the other day the Bluetooth connection wasn't working and unlocking when I walked up to the car. So I took my phone out, tapped it, and it unlocked straight away.

Reactions: Louis0w
Yeah, if a super sophisticated group of criminals could manage to break into my garage, stand next to my car, and then also manage to get in my house and stand close to my phone all without me noticing, they theoretically might be able to start my car.

It would be WAY easier to just mug the valet at my favorite local restaurant and take the card key.

Worry about what you want...

I generally switch off bluetooth on my phone. As it's Android, you can use NFC by touching where the keycard would be used on the door pillar. If you're quick to start the car/get past pin to drive, you don't need to use the card on the centre console or switch on bluetooth. If I'm slow, I'll generally put bluetooth on, but I'm already in the car.

You lock the car using phone/NFC on door pillar.

Of all the OTHER cars that can be affected by relay hacks, how many have any answer at all?

I generally switch off bluetooth on my phone. As it's Android, you can use NFC by touching where the keycard would be used on the door pillar. If you're quick to start the car/get past pin to drive, you don't need to use the card on the centre console or switch on bluetooth. If I'm slow, I'll generally put bluetooth on, but I'm already in the car.

You lock the car using phone/NFC on door pillar.

If you normally lock/unlock using the phone NFC, any reason you wouldn't simply delete the bluetooth phone key rather than switching the phone's bluetooth off ? Genuine question because that's what I do because the bluetooth phone key remains active for too far inside the house, so just use the phone NFC like the keycard.

Based on the situation you describe, if you're slow getting in the car then personally I find it less hassle to unlock the phone and waft it on the centre console than it would be to unlock it and turn bluetooth on.

Recently tried using the bluetooth phone key again because the phone NFC often seems slow to unlock (or there's a knack I'm missing) and turning bluetooth off at home, but kept forgetting to disable bluetooth so went back to phone NFC only.

If you normally lock/unlock using the phone NFC, any reason you wouldn't simply delete the bluetooth phone key rather than switching the phone's bluetooth off ? Genuine question because that's what I do because the bluetooth phone key remains active for too far inside the house, so just use the phone NFC like the keycard.

Based on the situation you describe, if you're slow getting in the car then personally I find it less hassle to unlock the phone and waft it on the centre console than it would be to unlock it and turn bluetooth on.

Recently tried using the bluetooth phone key again because the phone NFC often seems slow to unlock (or there's a knack I'm missing) and turning bluetooth off at home, but kept forgetting to disable bluetooth so went back to phone NFC only.
Normally phone plugged in charging by then, easier to just sweep down and switch on. Didn't think to use NFC on console. Might do that sometime to see which is quicker. Habit might be the deciding factor.

Bluetooth useful sometimes for car entry, especially when lots of opening/closing, errands. I don't use Bluetooth for any other reason than car entry/exit.

Point being that unlike other cars, you have options. Thieves don't know which one you'll choose. Easier to steal a BMW or Mercedes

Clever, it was only a matter of time.

This effectively makes BLE have the same vulnerability as traditional keyless entry.

Tesla should therefore implement the same mitigations. For example, when the phone has been sat stationary (via it's accelerometer) for a short time then passive unlock is disabled. The phone can detect when someone is walking towards the car.

There are some edge cases, as ever, like the phone being left stationary inside the car. But they can work all these out.

I would suggest Tesla from a purely technical perspective mark this issue as a critical security vulnerability. It doesn't take expensive equipment to do it.

As for the the reality of this, well it's in the same camp as any keyless entry vulnerability now.

I don't give a second thought regarding my car being stolen - Its insured so its the job of the insurer to worry about that aspect - thats part of what i pay them for. I cant see its a good idea to steal a Tesla - It can be tracked by the owner and Tesla, it can be disabled by Tesla, the beauty of the Tesla is the supercharger network - and the car would not be allowed to charge.
The inbuilt security is enough to dissuade joyriders and opportunists, the criminally sophisticated are more likely to be targeting proper high value cars so the risks are worth it. Tesla are nice but they aren't exotic are they?

I'm getting more convinced Tesla owners are the type that also suffer from hypochondria because they seem to generate a new worry each week, everything from PPF - do i inform the insurance company to fitting mud flaps will it decrease range.

Its a bloody car - enjoy driving it more than you worry about minutia.

How far are they actually going to get if they did steal the car? With it always talking to the Tesla system it’s just going to get shutdown. It’s not like they can mask it as another vehicle or ship it off to Eastern Europe.

Prior to the implementation of pin-to-drive, relay attacks were actually quite popular to steal a Tesla. They quickly drove a Tesla to a tow truck and once the wheels stop spinning while being towed, the GPS is useless as it only gives the last location and not the present one.

They would tear the Tesla apart and sell it off.

Reactions: delta0