Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Secure is the Key Card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't understand why you would ever need to change settings. Presumably you would keep it always set to only unlock the driver door with the walk up lock, and unlock the other doors manually when you want (here's where it gets vague, but I assume you could do so through the app, and perhaps with the card key, as a last resort you can reach in the car and tap the unlock button with the center screen). I really don't understand your point of why you would ever need to remember to change settings every time you get out.
Correct, one would need to set the car to only unlock the driver's door, and then leave that setting as permanent. But that then causes the usability issue, that the unlock for the other doors is in the center of the car (touch display), which is at best long reach, and totally impractical if carrying a small child. All the other cars seem to either have a switch on the driver's door (I checked - the 3 doesn't), or a way to do this from the key lock (twist-and-hold) or fob (double click).
The leaving a purse in your car is a problem that many cars have these days, certainly our Honda and my parent's Toyota has this issue. It's a bit easier with the Model 3, because you can solve it by disabling bluetooth on your phone. With a key fob you need to put it in a radio proof case (which you could do with your phone as well if you want).
Usability issue, again. Fiddling with the Bluetooth setting is a non-starter for a significant part of the population (my wife, included), and devices (hello, IOS 11). It needs to be a set-and-forget switch, just as with the door unlock. RFI-proof bags are a hack fix to the problem.

Tesla had the opportunity to fix an issue that has plagued (if you will allow me to call it that) both themselves and other manufacturers, and instead they appear to have made it worse. Usability is king, and it appears at this point that in chasing the future vision of an automated, self-driving car, they've lost sight of the realities of the present. I only wish that Elon and Occam had met in a prior life.

Correct, one would need to set the car to only unlock the driver's door, and then leave that setting as permanent. But that then causes the usability issue, that the unlock for the other doors is in the center of the car (touch display), which is at best long reach, and totally impractical if carrying a small child. All the other cars seem to either have a switch on the driver's door (I checked - the 3 doesn't), or a way to do this from the key lock (twist-and-hold) or fob (double click).

But if you can unlock all the doors from the phone that doesn't seem too different to me than unlocking the doors using the fob, you need to take something out of your pocket either way. Another option they could do (no idea whether they've done this, but it's just a software update away) is to hold the keycard against the car for a couple seconds to unlock all the doors (the exact equivalent of twist and hold).

Basically I see nothing fundamentally wrong with the design, it's just the details, which I'm sure Tesla will tweak based on feedback.

Reactions: landis
Fiddling with the Bluetooth setting is a non-starter for a significant part of the population (my wife, included), and devices (hello, IOS 11). It needs to be a set-and-forget switch, just as with the door unlock. RFI-proof bags are a hack fix to the problem.

Tesla had the opportunity to fix an issue that has plagued (if you will allow me to call it that) both themselves and other manufacturers, and instead they appear to have made it worse. Usability is king, and it appears at this point that in chasing the future vision of an automated, self-driving car, they've lost sight of the realities of the present. I only wish that Elon and Occam had met in a prior life.

What about just turning off the phone, surely they can do that. Probably a good idea anyway, since otherwise you're wasting battery unnecessarily. Again this isn't something that you can do with a fob. I don't see how they've made the problem worse, it seems to me they've made it slightly better, since the only solution with a fob is the RFI-bag hack (turning off the auto door unlock is a lot harder in other cars than the Tesla as well).

Also, Bluetooth uses battery, so merely owning a Model 3 will shorten the battery life of your phone. My solution will probably be to turn off BT, leave the phone in the car as I do now, and use the key card instead. The best system I've had is on my Prius: The door unlocks when anyone touches the inside of the door handle, or lifts on the tailgate, while the key fob is nearby. And it has to be pretty close. It locks when anyone presses the little button, again with the key fob nearby.

Put the model S in "passive entry OFF" and it acts the same way.

I'm confused, how could Tesla (or anybody else) have solved the issue of "I want to leave my key (or in this case my 'phone' acting as a key) in my purse, in my car and walk away and have it be locked". The only way to do that would be to have another key. Otherwise you would lock your only key *in* your car? I just can't fathom how anybody can solve that logical problem.

I would hope if you pull on any door handle when the phone is very close then it will unlock (this is how most keyless entry systems work). This would be separate from the automatic unlock feature when approaching the car.

... Usability is king, and it appears at this point that in chasing the future vision of an automated, self-driving car, they've lost sight of the realities of the present. I only wish that Elon and Occam had met in a prior life.

Exactly!!!

But if you can unlock all the doors from the phone that doesn't seem too different to me than unlocking the doors using the fob, you need to take something out of your pocket either way.

Big difference: A key fob is small. No big deal to keep it in my pocket. The phone is bulky. I'd much rather leave it in the car. The key fob has three buttons. Pull it out, press the appropriate button. The phone is a computer running a ton of apps. Pull it out, unlock it, launch the app, find the appropriate button. Maybe, depending on what you want to do, you pull the phone out of your pocket, unlock it, launch the app, go through several menus to find the function you want.

Also, on other cars, I can open the driver's door, reach down and unlock the other doors. Without that button in the car, you have to get in, start the car, wait for the screen to boot, and then you can unlock the other doors, while your girlfriend stands in the rain waiting for you to unlock the damn door. As gregd points out: USABILITY!!! I would happily pay an extra $25 or even $100 to have some controls/switches available. Putting everything on the screen is just nuts.

Another option they could do (no idea whether they've done this, but it's just a software update away) is to hold the keycard against the car for a couple seconds to unlock all the doors (the exact equivalent of twist and hold).

That would be very nice. I hope they do this. It could be a double-tap or a long hold, or any kind of gesture they like, assuming the reader is sensitive enough to distinguish.

• Disagree
Reactions: landis
But if you can unlock all the doors from the phone that doesn't seem too different to me than unlocking the doors using the fob, you need to take something out of your pocket either way.
A smart phone is specifically designed to keep your eyes glued to the screen. It wants your undivided attention when in use. That is exactly the wrong tool to be using in a parking garage, where your attention needs to be on your surroundings. A fob can be used without looking at it. A smart phone cannot. For the Model 3 therefore, the keycard, not the phone, needs to be your primary key.
Another option they could do (no idea whether they've done this, but it's just a software update away) is to hold the keycard against the car for a couple seconds to unlock all the doors (the exact equivalent of twist and hold).
YES, this is one I dearly hope they will adopt. I have not seen any evidence of it as yet, but as you say, it is something that should be easily implemented with a bit of software.
I would hope if you pull on any door handle when the phone is very close then it will unlock (this is how most keyless entry systems work). This would be separate from the automatic unlock feature when approaching the car.
Yes, I think this would be acceptable, but only if the car is sensitive to which door the person is standing by. I don't know if the MS/X can do this (anybody know?) In use, you would program the car to not unlock on approach, but only when standing immediately next to a door, and then pushing the handle on that door. So, in Daniel's example, you'd open the passenger side for your girlfriend first by standing next to that door and opening it, then walking to the driver's side and doing the same. (Really, you should be doing this anyway, right?) Only the single door you are standing by would be unlockable (but not unlocked unless touched). That way, if you happen to walk by the passenger door on the way out, the passenger door wouldn't unlock itself. I think the trunk should operate the same. So, if this can be made to work reliably, then I might consider the phone as a primary key.
I'm confused, how could Tesla (or anybody else) have solved the issue of "I want to leave my key (or in this case my 'phone' acting as a key) in my purse, in my car and walk away and have it be locked". The only way to do that would be to have another key. Otherwise you would lock your only key *in* your car? I just can't fathom how anybody can solve that logical problem.
Yes, another key (the keycard, for example, or your phone). And that key would be remembered as the one to unlock the car, not the one that's sitting inside the car. A linked phone could override, of course, since it's either in your possession and presumed safe, or in the car and presumed screen-locked. But that override would need to be explicit, not simply by proximity.

This thread appears to be arguing for the sake of arguing.

For the model S -

Passive Entry -
- On - It will detect the key in proximity to the car and put the car in "unlocked state" when close to car.
- Off - Key proximity will NOT be detected.
It takes a double click on the center remote button to unlock the doors and start the car.
If the car is unlocked for a set amount of time (I haven't figure out how much yet), it will require another double click to start the car

Auto-Present Handles -
- On - The "unlocked state" described above will present the door handle(s)
- Off - When the car is passively unlocked, it takes a press on the FRONT door handles (driver or passenger) to present the door handles.

Driver/all
- all handles present or just driver handle.
—-

Now what happens with the 3 since there is no such thing as auto-present. I really do not know.

If the S has auto-present disabled there is no indication the car is “unlocked” until you touch the handle.

I’m assuming on the 3 with phone on hand/pocket, the door latch just works if the phone is close enough. This is exactly what one would expect.

One will likely be able to turn off “passive” and require a button press on the phone app

Reactions: ElectricKiwi
But if you can unlock all the doors from the phone that doesn't seem too different to me than unlocking the doors using the fob, you need to take something out of your pocket either way. Another option they could do (no idea whether they've done this, but it's just a software update away) is to hold the keycard against the car for a couple seconds to unlock all the doors (the exact equivalent of twist and hold).

Basically I see nothing fundamentally wrong with the design, it's just the details, which I'm sure Tesla will tweak based on feedback.

Fob: hand in pocket,press unlock button twice.

Phone: remove from pocket, unlock, press home button, open Tesla app, (+ x more presses/swipes), lock and return to pocket.

Not even remotely as usable.

Fob: hand in pocket,press unlock button twice.

Phone: remove from pocket, unlock, press home button, open Tesla app, (+ x more presses/swipes), lock and return to pocket.

Not even remotely as usable.

Note that again that is one specific implementation. It's quite possible to implement it as: Open phone, proximity to car presents Unlock button on phone's lock screen, press it.

Fob - fob in pocket. Touch handle and it unlocks

Phone - phone in pocket. Touch handle and it unlocks.
Phone in pocket. Touch handle and ALL the doors unlock. Bad guy gets in the passenger side...

If you have driver-door-only set to solve this issue, then you have the usability issue with having to get to the touch screen to unlock the passenger door. Etc (I won't list them all again). The "argument" has been over understanding and finding a solution to all the problems at the same time, both security and usability.