Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How should I charge the battery if I don’t drive everyday?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While 50% would be optimal it's not particularly harmful to have batteries sit around at 60-70% and it'd be a lot more convenient to have a little extra charge if you actually wanna go for a drive. If you have a performance model also remember that the horsepower will drop a lot once it's under about 70%.

I'd probably just set it to 65% or 70% and keep it on the charger. Really wouldn't be a big deal. If you're really super paranoid I guess you can do 60%. Just remember to occasionally do a larger charge and larger drawdown or the BMS will lose accuracy.

Thanks. Based on the link to the BMS thread in the M3 forums, this sounds like what I should be doing. Vary the percent charged amount, let the battery consume down to 20% at least once per month and charge back up to a different percent.

Based on my daily mileage needs, I think I'll be good with just using the existing 110v outlet in my garage and I won't need a 14-50 or a WC installed....but I may still get some quotes from electricians to install.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I don't have an option of charging at home so I charge the car at superchargers and sometimes at my parents. To be honest with you after reading so many posts and do's and don'ts it makes me feel like I'm not supposed to own the car because I don't have a place to charge and the battery will lose charge and charging capabilities. I just think do what you feel and enjoy the car, no matter what you will do there will be someone who will say that's not the way to do it or it's the way to do it. I personally enjoy the car and it's parked 4-5 days a week, yet it's amazing to drive and I have a lot of fun doing it, even if I charge it at the supercharger 90% of the time.

This discussion is only about battery longevity optimization in cases where that is easily doable. In all other cases I would say, use the car normally, and avoid charging to 100%, unless you are going to need it. Perhaps your battery wears out a tad faster, but that doesn't mean you have to lose sleep about it. What's so bad about buying a replacement battery after 10 years?

Thanks. Based on the link to the BMS thread in the M3 forums, this sounds like what I should be doing. Vary the percent charged amount, let the battery consume down to 20% at least once per month and charge back up to a different percent.

Based on my daily mileage needs, I think I'll be good with just using the existing 110v outlet in my garage and I won't need a 14-50 or a WC installed....but I may still get some quotes from electricians to install.

Agreed, 110V is fine IF your driving habits are predictable and your daily commute is relatively short. Or maybe you work from home like a lot of people these days. Think about it this way, you can get about 10% = 50 miles of range in a 12 hour overnight charge from a normal 110V outlet. As soon as I learned that, it was like, this is perfect for my wife and my lifestyle. It sure is nice to plug into a standard wall outlet! We charge to 79% consistently and then charge up to 90% the night before we are going on a longer trip. So far so good.

Reactions: Koolio46
Sorry keeping the car plugged in has no bearing on the 12volt battery. I have my laser shifter plugged directly into the battery since I still cannot find a place to tap into for power inside the car. I would imagine the shifter is not active unless fired on so it probably consumes minimal current. Anyways cut to the chase, I was gone for 4 days, car was plugged in the entire time and I get home to "12V battery needs to replaced" warning. I am also assuming iI cannot charge it with a battery tender and also the battery most likely will not charge up after driving for a while like a ICE car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
Agreed, 110V is fine IF your driving habits are predictable and your daily commute is relatively short. Or maybe you work from home like a lot of people these days. Think about it this way, you can get about 10% = 50 miles of range in a 12 hour overnight charge from a normal 110V outlet. As soon as I learned that, it was like, this is perfect for my wife and my lifestyle. It sure is nice to plug into a standard wall outlet! We charge to 79% consistently and then charge up to 90% the night before we are going on a longer trip. So far so good.

great to hear someone else in a similar situation and that the 110v works.

I also have two chargepoint chargers (20 mi/hour) about a 3 min walk from my condo that offer free electricity (paid by my city) and the only thing I have to pay for is the metered street parking spot so that could be an option if I need a quicker charge.

This discussion is only about battery longevity optimization in cases where that is easily doable. In all other cases I would say, use the car normally, and avoid charging to 100%, unless you are going to need it. Perhaps your battery wears out a tad faster, but that doesn't mean you have to lose sleep about it. What's so bad about buying a replacement battery after 10 years?

That's my point. I don't lose sleep over it and I'm total fine with charging at supercharger.

Also, this discussion turned in to 12v battery discussion before it went back to the battery longevity.

I just think that the car is there to be driven and enjoyed not every single statistic and calculation to me yourself feel like a Tesla genius. Car is there to be enjoyed and take you from point A to point B. In the real world you won't get a chance to keep the car at 50-60% if you need to drive the car to work. I can tell you that I lose 20-25% because of the drive to work and back home every day and add to that the extra stops here and there. Keeping battery at 50-60% it's not ideal to me, and I can bet for the most people as well.

I've had both the original Roadster and now my P3D for nearly a year. I realize this is the MY forum, but the question applies to both M3 and MY. In my case I live in an apartment complex without access to charging. I've never had any issues at all with above average degradation (according to Teslamate and Teslafi). I leave my charge limit at 90% and historically have charged 70% at DC chargers (CCS and Superchargers) and 30% at slower AC. No problems for me. I would prefer to use AC when time allows, but the closest one is about 2 miles away. When I have the time I use my Segway Ninebot scooter and go to the charger, ride home and then return hours later when it is completed.

Essentially I don't worry about it much. Just ensure you don't let it sit at a low state of charge (below 20%) for long periods of time. I know many others in the Swiss Tesla Motor Club that have to do the same. Landlords here are not so easy to convince and allow us to install chargers. Note that CCS is for the EU model like mine but the US model is the same concept just a different connector.

Hope it helps!

The charts below show an idea of mine. Please note mine is also in kilometers and not miles as I'm in the land of cheese:

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 1.51.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 1.49.42 PM.png

The only issue with 110/120V is that it could potentially not charge or not charge in amounts significant enough to add range to the battery. The battery needs to be warmed to a certain point before it will add “range”.

Also, you will lose range if you precondition in the winter months. This is fine if you are anticipating it, just noting you should be aware of waking up to 30-40 miles of range gained overnight compared to 50.

If you can’t install a 240V circuit, there are options for 120V such as the 5-20 outlet or TT-30. But contact an electrician to make sure these options are viable for you and your wiring. If you do not have the proper wiring or breaker, you have a substantial risk of fire.

The only issue with 110/120V is that it could potentially not charge or not charge in amounts significant enough to add range to the battery. The battery needs to be warmed to a certain point before it will add “range”.

Also, you will lose range if you precondition in the winter months. This is fine if you are anticipating it, just noting you should be aware of waking up to 30-40 miles of range gained overnight compared to 50.

If you can’t install a 240V circuit, there are options for 120V such as the 5-20 outlet or TT-30. But contact an electrician to make sure these options are viable for you and your wiring. If you do not have the proper wiring or breaker, you have a substantial risk of fire.

Thanks, for this add'l info. My car will be in a garage that, while isn't heated, never gets close to freezing temps. I'd say probably around 50 degrees F. Hopefully, that won't require preconditioning of the battery and if it does hopefully it won't reduce my mile/hour charge rate too much.

I hadn't thought about the option of a TT-30...I'll mention this when I get quotes from electricians. Thanks.

The disadvantage of the TT-30 - if your electrician says it is possible to install - is that you would have to buy a third party (not made by Tesla) adapter. There are some out there that work in conjunction with your Mobile Connector.

It is just a suggestion if you are in a situation like me where it would require a major panel upgrade to bring 240V charging.

While I don’t anticipate ordering the Model Y until next spring or summer, I am planning to “try my luck” with the existing 5-15 in my garage, and depending on my results I will either look to upgrading to a 5-20 or TT-30 if it is close to what I am needing. Otherwise, I am prepared to upgrade the panel, but I’d rather not spend for the sake of spending.