Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How should Tesla change the referral program?

Do you currently use the referral program?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, but I have previously.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No, I’ve never used the referral program.

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla referral program seems super stale. I got ~10 referrals back in 2017/2018, but the free supercharging just isn’t super compelling now and I am not actively referring people. Sure I still love Tesla and talk about my car, but back in 2017/2018, I was doing a lot to try and get people to buy a car.

How would you change the program? What would make you want to evangelize Tesla and go “all out” to refer friends and family?

I personally would love to be able to earn custom swag and over-the-air upgrades like FSD, but am curious to hear what the rest of the community thinks!

I don't think anything should change, or they should just get rid of it all together already. When the program was in full force, that's ALL you heard about from every news source, blog, vlog, youtube channel, and website (including my own). It was a horrible, competitive rat-race and I for one, am glad it's over. Now don't get me wrong, I ended up with a ton of referrals and all the event invites and prizes (swag, wheels, powerwalls, Roadster, etc) which I would not trade for anything, It was great while it lasted, but please, let's not go back there again! Even TMC was inundated with thousands of "use my referral code" posts of people begging for referrals. It was just ugly.

As originally designed, for friends to talk to and refer other friends and relatives (that is, REAL friends and family) to bring them into the Tesla universe, it was great. Or even talking up strangers who are asking questions. But I feel that that was a tiny, tiny, percentage of the referrals given out, and most referral points were given out for people who would have already bought a Tesla. Yes, it provided Tesla with millions of dollars of free marketing, but at what ugly expense? And I'm sure it was a nightmare to manage on the internal side without much forethought to what it would take to make all those awards and prizes actually work (like the Powerwall fiascoes and constantly changing policies I've posted quite a bit about). They're still trying to catch up with the Arachnid referral wheels. I still have one set owed to me I've been trying to collect for over a year now. Every time I ask the local Service Center, I get silence in return.

Also, I'd like to see more transparency from Tesla. Like the current program claims there's a MY referral winner every month, and a NG Roadster referral winner every quarter. It's been like that for what, a year now? Have we seen or heard from anyone who won those awards? And what about "Driving the Boring Machine" or "Race the Tesla Semi"? Crickets.

I don't think anything should change, or they should just get rid of it all together already. When the program was in full force, that's ALL you heard about from every news source, blog, vlog, youtube channel, and website (including my own). It was a horrible, competitive rat-race and I for one, am glad it's over. Now don't get me wrong, I ended up with a ton of referrals and all the event invites and prizes (swag, wheels, powerwalls, Roadster, etc) which I would not trade for anything, It was great while it lasted, but please, let's not go back there again! Even TMC was inundated with thousands of "use my referral code" posts of people begging for referrals. It was just ugly.

As originally designed, for friends to talk to and refer other friends and relatives (that is, REAL friends and family) to bring them into the Tesla universe, it was great. Or even talking up strangers who are asking questions. But I feel that that was a tiny, tiny, percentage of the referrals given out, and most referral points were given out for people who would have already bought a Tesla. Yes, it provided Tesla with millions of dollars of free marketing, but at what ugly expense? And I'm sure it was a nightmare to manage on the internal side without much forethought to what it would take to make all those awards and prizes actually work (like the Powerwall fiascoes and constantly changing policies I've posted quite a bit about). They're still trying to catch up with the Arachnid referral wheels. I still have one set owed to me I've been trying to collect for over a year now. Every time I ask the local Service Center, I get silence in return.

Also, I'd like to see more transparency from Tesla. Like the current program claims there's a MY referral winner every month, and a NG Roadster referral winner every quarter. It's been like that for what, a year now? Have we seen or heard from anyone who won those awards? And what about "Driving the Boring Machine" or "Race the Tesla Semi"? Crickets.

Thanks for the response Hank! I totally agree. I am still waiting on my FSPW and haven’t heard a word about the Roadster discount either.

I feel like there is still value in having a program, but you’re exactly right when you say that it seems like most people were just desperate for referrals and were spamming their link everywhere. For the program the add a lot of value again, they would need to figure out how to prevent this.

Agree, but there is value in rewarding personal recommendations. Perhaps a blockchain token that can be created in the owners app and valid only for the recipient and only for a limited time from the recipient’s app.