Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how *should* Tesla ordering/queueing system work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
Seems relatively straightforward to me, but lets see if we can agree a logical solution, think about things that might impact Tesla's ability to implement that and how they might work around that.

- Each model/performance variant can be handled as its own pipeline - so model 3 RWD/LR/P, Model Y LR/P gives you 5 pipes.
- for each of these, there are only 5 colours, 2 wheels for standard/LR (1 for P) and two interiors. No seating options for Y in UK. So that gives 20 variations for RWD/LR, and 10 for P models

3 RWD - 20 options
3 LR - 20 options
3 P - 10 options
Y LR - 20 options
Y P - 10 options

so those are your 5 pipelines with some sub-pipelines within each

80 queues in total for the UK 3/Y models. They all come in through Southampton so need distributing across the country from there. My assumption here is that there should be no major geographical limitations for the queues - in the unlikely event there is a massive spike in purchases in Scotland they should be able to get them up on transporter

Tesla knows production run estimates for each of those combinations based on previous demand and predictions etc. Those will be planned and ready to ship to the UK through the quarter, usually in the 2nd/3rd month.

So Tesla knows how many of each option is being built, how many they expect to get to the country each month, and there shouldn't really be any limit on how they distribute them around the country - normally 1-2 weeks from port to customer should be reasonable.

This all sets the scene for this being pretty simple right? First person to order a spec is at the top of the queue, next person is second and so on. You cancel your order, the queue shuffles up and makes space at the bottom. You change orders you probably accept the queue shuffles up and you go at the bottom of the new spec queue as though a new order.

I'm not crazy right - this seems pretty straightforward? To the point where the EDD should be pretty narrow subject mainly to production (which will be known a couple of months ahead) and boat schedules (which shoudl be known a month out). So how are there still so many seeming issues with order status? Does finance/trade-in/leasing deals mess things up that badly? Didn't think Tesla did lease/fleet deals so everyone should be roughly on an even playing field

Reactions: Mr Grey
Seems relatively straightforward to me, but lets see if we can agree a logical solution, think about things that might impact Tesla's ability to implement that and how they might work around that.

- Each model/performance variant can be handled as its own pipeline - so model 3 RWD/LR/P, Model Y LR/P gives you 5 pipes.
- for each of these, there are only 5 colours, 2 wheels for standard/LR (1 for P) and two interiors. No seating options for Y in UK. So that gives 20 variations for RWD/LR, and 10 for P models

3 RWD - 20 options
3 LR - 20 options
3 P - 10 options
Y LR - 20 options
Y P - 10 options

80 queues in total for the UK 3/Y models. They all come in through Southampton so need distributing across the country from there. My assumption here is that there should be no major geographical limitations for the queues - in the unlikely event there is a massive spike in purchases in Scotland they should be able to get them up on transporter

Tesla knows production run estimates for each of those combinations based on previous demand and predictions etc. Those will be planned and ready to ship to the UK through the quarter, usually in the 2nd/3rd month.

So Tesla knows how many of each option is being built, how many they expect to get to the country each month, and there shouldn't really be any limit on how they distribute them around the country - normally 1-2 weeks from port to customer should be reasonable.

This all sets the scene for this being pretty simple right? First person to order a spec is at the top of the queue, next person is second and so on. You cancel your order, the queue shuffles up and makes space at the bottom. You change orders you probably accept the queue shuffles up and you go at the bottom of the new spec queue as though a new order.

I'm not crazy right - this seems pretty straightforward? To the point where the EDD should be pretty narrow subject mainly to production (which will be known a couple of months ahead) and boat schedules (which shoudl be known a month out). So how are there still so many seeming issues with order status? Does finance/trade-in/leasing deals mess things up that badly? Didn't think Tesla did lease/fleet deals so everyone should be roughly on an even playing field

Unfortunately I think it’s a lot more difficult than that.
Because of the number of cars shipped in one go from one brand, going to a lower number of locations around the UK than other brands, there is probably going to be significant limitations regarding pick up location because of transport & storage.

We’ll see 10,000+ cars delivered during a period of about 8 weeks because of the way Tesla produce cars for Europe toward the beginning of a quarter, arriving 2000+ at a time.

On top of that, whilst their brokers and finance companies probably don’t get a discount, they probably each have their own timings for when they want to pay which Tesla might need to fit in with. (I’ve seen some people say their lease company has held their order until 1st March with Tesla)

Whilst I’m sure Tesla have an algorithm of sorting it, the main reason they don’t tell us until very near the time is that it is logistical and financial hell.
Remember too, in order to offer flexibility (80 different options) you have to be very inflexible.

3 RWD - 20 options
3 LR - 20 options
3 P - 10 options
Y LR - 20 options
Y P - 10 options

And then people change their specification or cancel their orders, transporters have a minimum capacity requirement, some cars get damaged in transport, others get damaged while waiting to be collected during storms etc.