Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How significant Wii supercharger revenue become this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think 100,000 vehicles paying for Supercharging is on the high side for this year. Perhaps the amount for the fourth quarter will be average around 75,000.

Assumptions made: National weighted average of price per kWh (skewed to California's 26 cents) = 20 cents per kWh. Half the Model 3s will Supercharge 2x/week taking 50kWh each time. The other half of the Model 3s will Supercharge once per month and take 60kWh.
Lots of owners charge at home or work and will not avail themselves of Supercharging except on a weekend trip or holiday vacation. And some folks like us just do not drive more than 80 miles per week most of the year.

37,500(2)(13)(50)(.2) = $9,750,000

37,500(3)(60)(.2) = $1,350,000

Total for the fourth quarter = $11,100,000.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not very material to Tesla's overall position. Even doubling the usage only generates $22 million in revenue.

Reactions: oneday
I think 100,000 vehicles paying for Supercharging is on the high side for this year. Perhaps the amount for the fourth quarter will be average around 75,000.

Assumptions made: National weighted average of price per kWh (skewed to California's 26 cents) = 20 cents per kWh. Half the Model 3s will Supercharge 2x/week taking 50kWh each time. The other half of the Model 3s will Supercharge once per month and take 60kWh.
Lots of owners charge at home or work and will not avail themselves of Supercharging except on a weekend trip or holiday vacation. And some folks like us just do not drive more than 80 miles per week most of the year.

37,500(2)(13)(50)(.2) = $9,750,000

37,500(3)(60)(.2) = $1,350,000

Total for the fourth quarter = $11,100,000.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not very material to Tesla's overall position. Even doubling the usage only generates $22 million in revenue.

I think you're over estimating the amount of supercharging. I know many owners who charge only at home especially with the long range battery and will rarely supercharge.
I've owned my car for 5 months and still haven't used one.

I think you're over estimating the amount of supercharging. I know many owners who charge only at home especially with the long range battery and will rarely supercharge.
I've owned my car for 5 months and still haven't used one.

No argument. I was trying to have high numbers. Plus, in California's metropolitan areas, many locations are used heavily, (guessing here) much more heavily that locations in the east. In addition, from anecdotes over many years Easterners do not drive nearly as far as we Westerners--commuting can be 50+ miles one way per day and attractions or family can be 4-500 miles away one way, and it is not uncommon to drive those distances here instead of using alternate transportation methods or public transportation (which sucks out here, big time.) :)

Tesla has said superchargers would not be profit centers, and they are only charging the cost of the electricity used, so you should look at it more from the angle of Tesla will be losing less money through superchargers as people with M3s start to pay.