TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How significant Wii supercharger revenue become this year?

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by Chickenlittle, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Over 100,000 cars will be paying for supercharging. We use superchargers on average 8X a year. I don't know the average use for others. Any guess on contribution to revenue we or q4?

2. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

No idea, but there is also going to be some revenue for idle fees, too. They got me for $8 last month.

And that’s pure profit, no electricity cost to subtract.

3. cpa

cpa Active Member

I think 100,000 vehicles paying for Supercharging is on the high side for this year. Perhaps the amount for the fourth quarter will be average around 75,000.

Assumptions made: National weighted average of price per kWh (skewed to California's 26 cents) = 20 cents per kWh. Half the Model 3s will Supercharge 2x/week taking 50kWh each time. The other half of the Model 3s will Supercharge once per month and take 60kWh.
    Lots of owners charge at home or work and will not avail themselves of Supercharging except on a weekend trip or holiday vacation. And some folks like us just do not drive more than 80 miles per week most of the year.

37,500(2)(13)(50)(.2) = $9,750,000

37,500(3)(60)(.2) = $1,350,000

Total for the fourth quarter = $11,100,000.

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, but not very material to Tesla's overall position. Even doubling the usage only generates $22 million in revenue.

• Like x 1
  4. aronth5

aronth5 Long Time Follower

I think you're over estimating the amount of supercharging. I know many owners who charge only at home especially with the long range battery and will rarely supercharge.
    I've owned my car for 5 months and still haven't used one.

• Like x 2
  5. cpa

cpa Active Member

No argument. I was trying to have high numbers. Plus, in California's metropolitan areas, many locations are used heavily, (guessing here) much more heavily that locations in the east. In addition, from anecdotes over many years Easterners do not drive nearly as far as we Westerners--commuting can be 50+ miles one way per day and attractions or family can be 4-500 miles away one way, and it is not uncommon to drive those distances here instead of using alternate transportation methods or public transportation (which sucks out here, big time.) :)

6. GMan324

GMan324 Member

Tesla has said superchargers would not be profit centers, and they are only charging the cost of the electricity used, so you should look at it more from the angle of Tesla will be losing less money through superchargers as people with M3s start to pay.