Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How slippery are those leather seats?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

gg_got_a_tesla

Model S: VIN 65513, Model 3: VIN 1913
Jan 29, 2010
Redwood Shores, CA
In the past, we've discussed the lack of lateral support in the seats in the Model S but, these recent reviews got me concerned about whether these apparently slippery leather seats will really allow us to push the Model S around corners without worrying about slipping around?!

GGR's comparison with the Roadster after he got his pink "BGC" Model S:

Add to this the seats: the Roadster hugs you, while you slide around in the S's seats. I am thinking seriously of having the S's seats reworked to have better side bolstering.

Atleast one auto journalist review:

2012 Tesla Model S: Drive review - Autoweek

One final knock on the interior is the forward chairs' severe lack of lateral support. We found ourselves sliding around both as driver and passenger. Inexplicably, there's no sport seat option. A car that corners like this practically demands one.

The only alternative that we really have at this point is the Textile seats (with which one'll lose out on the heated aspect, 4-way lumbar support and 'unofficially', seat memory). I sat in them in a static (Sunset Red) S back in August and found them to be quite comfortable while also possibly providing (note: speculation) more "friction" in a driving situation given the rougher texture.

How 'bad' is the situation here with the leather seats? New Model S owners, please chime in a bit more. If possible, please compare to say, spiritedly driving a BMW 3 sedan and such in the context of the seats (alone). Thanks.

I was thinking more about it this morning. The bolsters are not that small or bad, and yes, the Alcantara leather is somewhat grippy. The real difference is that the seats are simply bigger! My "love handles" just don't touch the side bolsters simultaneously! And I'm not a small guy.

Maybe sheepskin seat covers? ;-)

I did some, uh, slightly-higher-than-average-G maneuvers in Elon's car and I wasn't sliding all over the place. The Alacantra bolsters did help. I'm sure it would been more of an issue on a race track though.

That said the guys in the back were sliding around quite a bit.

I was bothered by sliding around on the smooth leather seats during car club race track events in the 80's. Have been using sheepskin covers ever since then. Additional benefit: you don't burn your butt in the summer or freeze it in the winter when you first sit down.

I just did an autocross this weekend but I have performance seats. I had no problems with me holding in the seat well but the car could use a bit more grip for the condition of the track we were on. My tires are pretty toast now! I got pertty sideways a bit and almost managed to drift some but those were the slower runs. hella fun

Everything slides at this level of G-force. I happened to have a piece of suede from crafts and put it on the passenger side so that my purse would not fly around. My dog gets carsick in this vehicle because she slides all over the place (or because the acceleration leaves her belly behind! I plan on ordering seat covers. Until then, doggie rides in the BMW X5M only.