TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How slippery are those leather seats?!

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gg_got_a_tesla, Sep 27, 2012.

1. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

In the past, we've discussed the lack of lateral support in the seats in the Model S but, these recent reviews got me concerned about whether these apparently slippery leather seats will really allow us to push the Model S around corners without worrying about slipping around?!

GGR's comparison with the Roadster after he got his pink "BGC" Model S:

Atleast one auto journalist review:

2012 Tesla Model S: Drive review - Autoweek

The only alternative that we really have at this point is the Textile seats (with which one'll lose out on the heated aspect, 4-way lumbar support and 'unofficially', seat memory). I sat in them in a static (Sunset Red) S back in August and found them to be quite comfortable while also possibly providing (note: speculation) more "friction" in a driving situation given the rougher texture.

How 'bad' is the situation here with the leather seats? New Model S owners, please chime in a bit more. If possible, please compare to say, spiritedly driving a BMW 3 sedan and such in the context of the seats (alone). Thanks.

2. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

It does seem that the performance option has "Alcantara accents" on the side bolsters which look "grippy". I imagine they hold you better than slippery leather.

3. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I was thinking more about it this morning. The bolsters are not that small or bad, and yes, the Alcantara leather is somewhat grippy. The real difference is that the seats are simply bigger! My "love handles" just don't touch the side bolsters simultaneously! And I'm not a small guy.

Maybe sheepskin seat covers? ;-)

4. ADN_ModelS

ADN_ModelS Member

I'm thinking custom velcro...

5. jkirkebo

jkirkebo Model S P85+ VIN 14420 EU

Leather sticks to leather, so just whip out your leather pants ;)

6. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I did some, uh, slightly-higher-than-average-G maneuvers in Elon's car and I wasn't sliding all over the place. The Alacantra bolsters did help. I'm sure it would been more of an issue on a race track though.

That said the guys in the back were sliding around quite a bit.

7. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Nothing says style like leather pants. I like it:smile:

8. Liz G

Liz G P03056

So dms363, perhaps you could do some testing for us. I'm sure you could find some tight corners to tear around.

9. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Keep 'em away from the Armor All Dave...:wink::biggrin:

10. caddieo

caddieo Member

I was bothered by sliding around on the smooth leather seats during car club race track events in the 80's. Have been using sheepskin covers ever since then. Additional benefit: you don't burn your butt in the summer or freeze it in the winter when you first sit down.

11. Zextraterrestrial

I just did an autocross this weekend but I have performance seats. I had no problems with me holding in the seat well but the car could use a bit more grip for the condition of the track we were on. My tires are pretty toast now! I got pertty sideways a bit and almost managed to drift some but those were the slower runs. hella fun

12. Jesuis

Jesuis New Member

Everything slides at this level of G-force. I happened to have a piece of suede from crafts and put it on the passenger side so that my purse would not fly around. My dog gets carsick in this vehicle because she slides all over the place (or because the acceleration leaves her belly behind! I plan on ordering seat covers. Until then, doggie rides in the BMW X5M only.

13. liuping

liuping Active Member

Just curious, but why would you put your purse on the passenger seat, instead of the big open area between the seats or the passenger floor area?