TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How slow does the Model S accelerate in valet mode?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by MsElectric, Apr 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

#1 MsElectric, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Okay so we live in exciting times with the Model S getting faster each month it seems but I am interested in the opposite. Specifically valet mode. The most important part in it for me is the retardation of performance so a valet parking guy does not abuse or joyride the car.

Could someone please post a video on how slow a Model S can accelerate, at max acceleration, when in Valet Mode? I am hoping in Valet mode that a Honda Fit can beat a Model S. And I hope in valet mode the Model S is so slow that a valet will have more fun abusing a Camry.

2. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

No video, but personal experience is that it's roughly the equivalent of a Camry or similar. 0-60 seems to be on the order of about 8-10s or so. Performance is not retarded to the point of danger, but its no longer a rocketship.

3. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Playing with it on my car, it seems to limit power from 0-20 mph at 80kW, 20-70mph at 160kW, with the max speed set to 70 mph.

4. green1

green1 Active Member

What valet had any reason to do 70mph??? Shouldn't that be half that?

5. CatB

CatB Member

Really? I agree 70 is way too high. I am thinking top speed of 30 would be just fine to cross the parking lot or put it in a garage...
    Next request: configurable valet modes...

6. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

I could see "valet" mode have a max of 70 when you think of the greater circumstances - like letting others, such as a child drive the vehicle. Also, scenarios like Tesla's own valets to get to/from the service center (but honestly, they likely could bypass the lockout anyway from the service menus). As for a valet in most cases though, 35 mph would be plenty.

7. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I know of a couple of places where the valet service takes the car to another lot (airport parking, for example, where they must drive down a 50 mph street). I don't have a problem with max 70 mph, it's the acceleration that's critical - and I'm satisfied with the new mode, It feels very sluggish compared to what we're used to.

8. SUN_Spot

SUN_Spot Member

9. MsElectric

MsElectric Active Member

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I would like to set max speed and power. For instance, if I am having new tires installed, I would like them (and they do if I ask) to take her for a spin to make sure they got the wheels balanced properly. I am so tired of taking cars back to rebalance because they didn't do it right. It wastes my time and it is a total PIA. Yes. I am picky, very picky. So I can see 70 as being reasonable in that situation. But I can't think of any other. I use valet whenever anybody else drives my girl. I have had bad experiences in the past with shops trying to play with my cars.

11. Tree95

Tree95 Member

With my S85D, I used the iPhone app PocketDyno+ to do two runs at each Acceleration setting and show the average results. I doubt the iPhone's accelerometer is hyper accurate, but these are the times I got:

3.9 sport
    4.5 standard
    8.4 valet (this is the first time I'd tried valet mode. it makes the car feel like a pig)

http://imgur.com/a/p7EZw