Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How slow does the Model S accelerate in valet mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay so we live in exciting times with the Model S getting faster each month it seems but I am interested in the opposite. Specifically valet mode. The most important part in it for me is the retardation of performance so a valet parking guy does not abuse or joyride the car.

Could someone please post a video on how slow a Model S can accelerate, at max acceleration, when in Valet Mode? I am hoping in Valet mode that a Honda Fit can beat a Model S. And I hope in valet mode the Model S is so slow that a valet will have more fun abusing a Camry.

Last edited:
No video, but personal experience is that it's roughly the equivalent of a Camry or similar. 0-60 seems to be on the order of about 8-10s or so. Performance is not retarded to the point of danger, but its no longer a rocketship.

I could see "valet" mode have a max of 70 when you think of the greater circumstances - like letting others, such as a child drive the vehicle. Also, scenarios like Tesla's own valets to get to/from the service center (but honestly, they likely could bypass the lockout anyway from the service menus). As for a valet in most cases though, 35 mph would be plenty.

I could see "valet" mode have a max of 70 when you think of the greater circumstances - like letting others, such as a child drive the vehicle. Also, scenarios like Tesla's own valets to get to/from the service center (but honestly, they likely could bypass the lockout anyway from the service menus). As for a valet in most cases though, 35 mph would be plenty.

I know of a couple of places where the valet service takes the car to another lot (airport parking, for example, where they must drive down a 50 mph street). I don't have a problem with max 70 mph, it's the acceleration that's critical - and I'm satisfied with the new mode, It feels very sluggish compared to what we're used to.

I would like to set max speed and power. For instance, if I am having new tires installed, I would like them (and they do if I ask) to take her for a spin to make sure they got the wheels balanced properly. I am so tired of taking cars back to rebalance because they didn't do it right. It wastes my time and it is a total PIA. Yes. I am picky, very picky. So I can see 70 as being reasonable in that situation. But I can't think of any other. I use valet whenever anybody else drives my girl. I have had bad experiences in the past with shops trying to play with my cars.

Just what I was looking for. Thanks! Wish 0-60 was 12 seconds but 8.7 isn't bad :)

With my S85D, I used the iPhone app PocketDyno+ to do two runs at each Acceleration setting and show the average results. I doubt the iPhone's accelerometer is hyper accurate, but these are the times I got:

3.9 sport
4.5 standard
8.4 valet (this is the first time I'd tried valet mode. it makes the car feel like a pig)

http://imgur.com/a/p7EZw