Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Smart are Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking that in the automobile industry there are dumb cars that are very analog and there are very smart digitally enhanced vehicles.

Teslas are the most digitally capable cars I know of. Our other car is a Leaf, and it has a few nice features but it’s not so bright. Many ICE cars out there are quite dumb, with little digital capability.

I started a list of what I think makes a car smart. Please add to it, or correct and we can build an accurate list, for those comparison shopping. It is in no particular order.

1. Upgradable computer to support future features. (This one might be debatable)
  2. Over the air updates to enhance the vehicle performance, safety, and features.
  3. Advanced driver assistance and automatic navigation.
  4. Visually aware of its surroundings for both security, navigation and dash cam purposes.
  5. LTE data connection
  6. Advanced in vehicle entertainment (Netflix, games, karaoke, etc.)
  7. Remote monitoring and control app that is feature complete, quick, reliable and regularly updated. The App for our Leaf sucks.
  8. No keys needed.
  9. Self parking.
  10. Continuous map updates automatically downloaded
  11. Tablet sized interface. Limited use of knobs and switches.
    What would you add to this list?

I would ague that you don't need a tablet-sized interface. Smart cars in the future will have better user experience with easily accessible information. But hopefully not on a giant screen that you have to lean forward to reach.

Also add robo-taxi capability. If that really catches on, it will be table-stakes for smart cars.

Self Diagnostics

I understand you are listing what makes a car (tesla) smart for shoppers comparing? That would consider there are other cars to compare which has some smart to it. There may be a few.
Different model Tesla vehicles have different smarts.
The model X allows the driver door to open when approaching. it's also smart enough to know if you are coming from front to back so door does not open all the way until you pass door. Then it opens fully. The other aspect is doors, including falcon wing doors will not open if it senses obstructions in the way.
Let's not forget all the sensors, chimes and range measurements displayed on dash.
Folding mirrors using GPS
Ride height auto adjusted based on speed and also GPS locations.
Also not sure what other vehicle will allow you to run the rear camera while in drive.
There was in the news a but ago where tesla vehicles can note what parts are inoperable and auto order parts to the nearest service center. Not sure if that came about yet.
Mirror's auto dark during night.
I'll think of more in a bit.

Reactions: Kmartyn
Teslas can't read text messages. So in that way, they're dumb.
Why do you think that is? Many added features have been requested. An example of this is easy entry. Then it was requested easy entry did not start until seat belt was unfasten. Consider Joe mode and GPS folding mirrors. But why with all the customers asking about reading text messages, that they did not program in this feature? I personally consider this to be a distraction. I have this feature in my fiesta and frankly, I have it turned off.

Some good ones there, which I have added to the rolling list. Will keep it to the TM3 and features that work now.

1. Upgradable computer to support future features. (This one might be debatable)
  2. Over the air updates to enhance the vehicle performance, safety, and features.
  3. Advanced driver assistance and automatic navigation.
  4. Visually aware of its surroundings for both security, navigation and dash cam purposes.
  5. LTE data connection
  6. Advanced in vehicle entertainment (Netflix, games, karaoke, etc.)
  7. Remote monitoring and control app that is feature complete, quick, reliable and regularly updated. The App for our Leaf sucks.
  8. No keys, fob or dongle needed.
  9. Smart Summon and self parking.
  10. Continuous map updates automatically downloaded
  11. Tablet sized interface. Limited use of knobs and switches.
  12. GPS based folding mirrors and GDO.
  13. Recognizes you by your phone and auto customizes seat position, steering wheel and mirrors to your preference.
  14. Auto diagnostics, and service center contact.
  15. Distance measurements to obstructions displayed on dash to assist parking.

Last edited:
  1. Upgradable computer to support future features. (This one might be debatable) Many vehicles have this, but only done at dealer.
  2. Over the air updates to enhance the vehicle performance, safety, and features. This is one of the places that Tesla shines
  3. Advanced driver assistance and automatic navigation. My 2018 Leaf does this, as does many other cars. One of the Cadillacs actually goes hands-free.
  4. Visually aware of its surroundings for both security, navigation and dash cam purposes. There are a lot of cars that are visually aware
  5. LTE data connection Many cars do, even my 2018 Leaf
  6. Advanced in vehicle entertainment (Netflix, games, karaoke, etc.) Definitely some options with Google and Apple play
  7. Remote monitoring and control app that is feature complete, quick, reliable and regularly updated. The App for our Leaf sucks. Yes
  8. No keys needed. Tesla requires a key, albeit software, not physical. My Leaf doesn't require a physical key, just the dongle, a software key.
  9. Self parking. Other companies actually have reliable versions. One of the pickups can even back a trailer!
  10. Continuous map updates automatically downloaded I suspect that others do. Tesla is far from continuous, although it depends on which maps you are talking about.
  11. Tablet sized interface. Limited use of knobs and switches. Tesla is winning, although table are starting to turn. Manufacturers still think that the way it has always been is still right.
    What would you add to this list?

Lot's of folks look at their current years old car and compare it to the features on a Tesla and it blows their current car away. But many of the other models have implemented many of the same features, some of them are a LOT better than Tesla's current implementation.
Tesla has done a great job of putting together a great number of new features and repackaging them, without the legacy concepts that typical autos have.
A great example is traffic aware cruise control. Lots of people think that this is a Tesla only feature, My 2018 Leaf has it, just about every newer mid to top line car has it today. And the key, for example, there are very few cars that you have to take anything out of your pocket to open it anymore. I catch myself trying to demonstrate it and then I realize that all cars do that, being able to walk up to the door and just open it.

• Informative
Reactions: Kmartyn