Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Some Tesla Owners Break The Law to "Stop ICE-ing"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. It’s really vandalism. And putting it on the windshield obstructs the drivers view.

Spray paint is removable from concrete too. Would you consider it vandalism is someone spray painted your house or sidewalk?
Spray painting permanent damages objects, there’s no comparison. A sticker does not; A closer comparison would be sidewalk chalk. On the side window it will also not obscure the view.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Spray painting permanent damages objects, there’s no comparison. A sticker does not
Correct.. an asshat deserves a sticker.. thats what the parking police do. Nobody is advocating firebombing their car/truck as appealing as that can be. But, society has a duty to correct stupid behavior or it continues and escalates until the limit is found. And a sticker is pretty non-threatening. I can say for a fact, I've had much worse said to me by some of these idiots in person as has my wife while in the Tesla.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
Spray painting permanent damages objects, there’s no comparison. A sticker does not; A closer comparison would be sidewalk chalk. On the side window it will also not obscure the view.
Spray paint is just as permanent as a sticker. They can both come off, but both require effort and are both vandalism. If it makes you feel better, we can use chalk as an analogy. How would you feel if someone wrote an obscenity in chalk on your home? Vandalism, no?

I don’t know about you, but I look out my side windows when driving. It’s vandalism. Stop trying to justify it.

This Web page, written by a lawyer, explicitly says that putting a sticker on a car qualifies as vandalism:
For example, if you put bumper stickers on a person's car or spray-paint your name on someone's fence, this is vandalism.
...and a bit later...
Placing stickers, posters, signs, or other markers on property can also constitute physical damage.
That said, the first quote specifies bumper stickers, not a sticker applied to a window. The second quote doesn't make this distinction. There could be a subtle distinction between the two in the eyes of the law. The law is also likely to vary from one jurisdiction to another. Note, though, that I am not a lawyer; I'm only reporting what I found (written by a lawyer; I'm ignoring Quora posts by random people) when I did a Web search on the subject.

Personally, I wouldn't put a sticker on a car without permission, even if it was easy to remove. A piece of ordinary paper with a note tucked under a windshield wiper, maybe. Not a sticker.

Spray paint is just as permanent as a sticker. They can both come off, but both require effort and are both vandalism. If it makes you feel better, we can use chalk as an analogy. How would you feel if someone wrote an obscenity in chalk on your home? Vandalism, no?

I don’t know about you, but I look out my side windows when driving. It’s vandalism. Stop trying to justify it.
If you consider spray paint to be the same as a sticker on a window then there's nothing to discuss.

• Disagree
Reactions: CaptUAL and glide
Also, one can buy stickers that have easy to remove adhesive. All you're trying to do is gently notify someone that these spaces are for charging and that they need to find somewhere else to park.

This is why I have always wanted chargers to be far away from the entrance to stores, preferably around back somewhere. Getting free charging should be a fair recompense for having to walk a little, and as an added bonus, no one will be trying to park in a charging spot.

It always humors me that folks want to park within 30 feet of the entrance to a big box store, when they will have to walk a half-mile once inside to find what they want and haul it to the check-out line.

Oddly enough, a contractor at my work was just telling me about this. He has an old beater truck with a bumper sticker that states, "my truck identifies as a tesla". If there's a good parking spot, he'll take it. apparently this is making the rounds on the local 'nextdoor' forums and people are complaining about him. He thinks it's hysterical.
That’s cuz it is! LMAO

Yeah vandalism isn't the answer...the sticker thing is just gonna create more conflict and more problems. If there is a towing law, people should have the parking lot owner/ship call and have it towed. Otherwise work the systems we have to get laws in place.

As for trucks identifying as teslas...that shits funny ok. I'm not bashing people who identify as whatever (in fact I support it), but if we can't have levity nothing should be funny.

So vandalism is the answer? Good luck with that approach.
No it's not. Apartment complexes do this all the time to people who park in resident spots. It isn't illegal to put a flyer or sticker on someone's window. And of course the trick of the sticker is, it is worse than any sticker on a product you buy that leaves residue and most of the sticker behind on your window.

And if there is some loophole crime someone can cite for me, police won't do anything about it. Except say don't park in the spot to them.

All we need is:

1. Clear signage stron around charging stations to say that there is a fine with this offence
2. People can upload images of cars committing the offence, to a government-run website to check and issue fines

The revenue with help run the website, pay for the traffic warden’s time, stop the few idiots making it bad for everyone, train these idiots to do the right thing, have an outlet for bullied ev owners so prevent escalation of conflicts, invest in more public charging stations etc

Reactions: house9
Similar but different issue:
Our local utility offers Level 2 chargers at several locations, free for the first two hours and then a dollar an hour, up to a max of eight dollars.

At one of these charging stations at the shopping mall, there is a white Model 3 that uses it everyday, all-day. So basically, this person has a personal charger that no one else gets to use.

What do you do in this situation?

Similar but different issue:
Our local utility offers Level 2 chargers at several locations, free for the first two hours and then a dollar an hour, up to a max of eight dollars.

At one of these charging stations at the shopping mall, there is a white Model 3 that uses it everyday, all-day. So basically, this person has a personal charger that no one else gets to use.

What do you do in this situation?

Nothing?

I mean, they're paying, rite?